Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/st-johnstone/2958432/theo-bair-st-johnstone-mls-vancouver-whitecaps-canada/

It (striker) just makes it so that I get to use all of my abilities,” he said. “I have lots of space and, and you guys know I like open space and running at people.

“But I’m ready to go wherever they put me, man. I’ll play right mid, right wing, striker, left wing … if I had to play full-back, I will. I just want to play.

This needs to be removed from the record immediately....

1 hour ago, Sainthearted said:

The stats don't exactly fill me with confidence, but they look a little better when you consider he's been deployed as a right- and left-winger too. 

He's scored 5 goals in 20 appearances as a CF and 7 goals in 57 appearances across all positions.

Could be a case of Thierry Henry syndrome.

I guess if the stats were good we'd be last in the queue.Anyway he's a striker's!!!Let's hope he hits the ground running and adjusts to the Scottish game tout suite 😉 

We have decent luck with Canadians don't we?
Dasovic of course class. Technically David Wotherspoon who's been great. I liked Marcus Haber and was convinced his injury absolutely fucked him as it stole his pace. Xausa was probably a flop, I can't remember, but I liked him for his career elsewhere for some reason. Sure there was another.

I read a story recently about Xausa. When he was hooked - this might even have been his debut - he was whinging coming off about not understanding why it was him coming off. John O'Neil, coming on for him, reportedly told him very succinctly why. And sure most saints fans would agree.

Pretty big statement of intent this signing. Hopefully Ciftci's injury isn't that bad and we can get to a point where we have options up front and we never see Middleton or MoH through the middle again.

Looks like he can play across the front line too.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/video/vancouver-whitecaps-forward-theo-bair-a-nightmare-to-defend-rising-6080985713001#vancouver-whitecaps-forward-theo-bair-a-nightmare-to-defend-rising-6080985713001

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

From that little video he looks raw but also like a player who will excite the fans. Somewhat jealous. 

My impression too. A 6 month loan, as was initially talked about by Scott Burns, wouldn’t have been much use IMO. We can develop him over his time with us though and hopefully we can sell him on down the line with it being a long contract. Very happy with this signing personally, a wildcard. 

We’ve not had a wildcard striker who’s quick and strong since Tade left and I’m all here for it. He can’t be any worse than what we’ve got right now and the length of deal allows him to prove himself and get a bigger move. If he scores the goals to save us, he’ll be regarded as a cult hero for sure. 

My impression too. A 6 month loan, as was initially talked about by Scott Burns, wouldn’t have been much use IMO. We can develop him over his time with us though and hopefully we can sell him on down the line with it being a long contract. Very happy with this signing personally, a wildcard. 
That podcast floating about is great, gives you an insight into him. Sounds mature for a 22 year old and is clear he wanted consistent games over a season.

6'4 and bulked up after his stint in Norway. In terms of out of the blue mental signings I cant see how we could hope for any better than this guy.

If he does come then that’s 3 strikers more than we had before Christmas.  
…plus 3 new defenders
who needs midfielders let’s just counter attack at will

I’m expecting we’ll maybe see one more midfielder come in tomorrow as well.

58 minutes ago, nelsjfc said:

I read a story recently about Xausa. When he was hooked - this might even have been his debut - he was whinging coming off about not understanding why it was him coming off.

It would have to be his debut, as that was the only game he played for Saints. Away at Motherwell midweek. Owen Coyle (or maybe Tommy Coyne, but I'd be pretty confident on Coyle) hit the top of the wee stand behind the home goal with a penalty, but we still lost. 

I can't remember who scored our goal. 

Edited by Radford

13 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

He is a big lad 6'3 but does not appear to.be a prolific a goalscorer..However he has played one game (and scored) for the full canadian national team so that would speed up the work permit.

He will have a pal 20 mins up the road in Jay Chapman.

Marcus Haber must be pissing himself laughing if he sold the Scottish move to his fellow country men.

I think if Saints have to go down the road of loans tomorrow, it'll certainly be guys that have played some football and also guys for who the move is important. 

Just hoping it isn't such a bad day that we are left seeing double. 

Bair on loan wouldn't have been a great fit, this is better and @Kyle was right about bearing with Saints until the end of the window. Again, like the other signings, it might not work out but you can see the process. Once you start getting that right, it's then about success percentages. But first thing first we needed to get away from kid loans and OAPs. 

Edited by Radford

57 minutes ago, Radford said:

I think if Saints have to go down the road of loans tomorrow, it'll certainly be guys that have played some football and also guys for who the move is important. 

Just hoping it isn't such a bad day that we are left seeing double. 

Bair on loan wouldn't have been a great fit, this is better and @Kyle was right about bearing with Saints until the end of the window. Again, like the other signings, it might not work out but you can see the process. Once you start getting that right, it's then about success percentages. But first thing first we needed to get away from kid loans and OAPs. 

Tomorrow will be interesting, we may see more departures than arrivals.With MOH close to returning will he be viewed as cover for Rooney as a wing back or will we look to being someone else in..Also With the arrival of Bair who has stated that he can play wide as well as centrally does this rule out signing a winger ? 

Personally I would love us to tale Kennedy on loan 

Signing just makes sense for all the right reasons. Right age, good background and a player who isn't afraid to take a bit of a risk by moving countries. Obviously a few contacts with saints via Dasovic and Wotherspoon, so club will not be totally unknown to him in that sense. You'd hope too that both footballing style and culturally moving from MLS and Canada to Scotland is easier than say Israel and Finland.

Obviously the big thing we need from his goals and or assists, so so lomg as he delivers that, then great all round. It does make you think there will be one or two to go out. 

This window has been so different from any other window over quite a number of years for Saints.

The BBC Scottish football gossip section has mentioned potential St Johnstone signings just about every day, when usually you are lucky if it is a couple of times the whole month.

Far from dull, and far from ideal. 2-3 players in the summer and a couple now to complement the squad should have been the approach, but we’ve done to death, so now all we can do is appreciate we’re trying to do something about our situation and hope it all comes good. 

With so many new players and quite a big squad, the challenge is to get some kind of consistency of selection and gelling them together. The games will come thick and fast, and all with a lot of pressure, so the worry is we just see mass changes every game and never settle on a team, and it ends up a different bunch of strangers out on the pitch every week.

Hopefully we could a big boost in energy and fight with the new lads and it gives everyone the boot up the arse required.

Tomorrow will be interesting, we may see more departures than arrivals.With MOH close to returning will he be viewed as cover for Rooney as a wing back or will we look to being someone else in..Also With the arrival of Bair who has stated that he can play wide as well as centrally does this rule out signing a winger ? 
Personally I would love us to tale Kennedy on loan 
Will be interesting to see who they do, or indeed can, move on. May and Vertainen are now effectively 5th and 6th choices, we've never seen either used wide in a three by Davidson but both are contracted till next summer. Ambrose would be an obvious one especially if we sign another RWB. Maybe Craig too if another central midfielder comes in?

I'd love to see Kennedy too. Can't see it happening though. RWB, a winger amd another central midfielder would be my preferences.

We've had a busy month and tomorrow is the day the chairman likes a flutter!

If we got another three on top of Bair (RWB, CM, WF) I'd be delighted and we'd have given ourselves as much of a shot as we can simply in terms of positions filled. Obviously they'd need to be decent but at least we won't have left ourselves short anywhere. 

If we can get what we need in, then you see who wants/needs to leave.