Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He doesn't even realise that he's just confirming he's a shit, clueless, manager by telling everyone he has no idea how to actually change anything so we're reliant on bringing in new players in the hope they magically improve the we play.

Does make me wonder how he'll be judged as time passes. I'm not for a second trying to diminish your achievements as a club last season, but CD's role is looking increasingly Stubbs-esque. Was he just incredibly fortunate to have a wonderful squad that suited the one system he knows how to play, and it worked well in the cups?

Eetu injured last night or just not included in the match day squad? I’m not saying he’s a great player, but the truth is we have no fucking idea as to whether he is or not. To not even be given a proper chance is pretty shocking. 

The decline of May… it’s just sad to see. If you look back to the season he broke through he was running in behind, he was dropping deep, he was taking players on, he was hitting everything early, he was getting in the box and poaching. He was playing with so much confidence and now he’s just a shell of that player and offers f**k all. What kind of striker is he meant to be now? 

As it is, I’d bomb McCart out, the boy clearly doesn’t want to be here and someone like Mahon seems to have the hunger to succeed.

Edited by Bonksy+HisChristianParade

8 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Does make me wonder how he'll be judged as time passes. I'm not for a second trying to diminish your achievements as a club last season, but CD's role is looking increasingly Stubbs-esque. Was he just incredibly fortunate to have a wonderful squad that suited the one system he knows how to play, and it worked well in the cups?

For Saints fans he'll be a Stubbs. Always thankful for the success but we'll all know he was a clown who took us down because he couldn't adapt or improve our attack despite getting to spend £250k+ in one window.

For everyone else he'll be a hard done by manager who was merely a victim of the "modern fan" and a board who didn't support him.

9 hours ago, mizfit said:

I can’t believe what I just read.

Haggis, neeps and Tatties in a pie?
Send me the butchers name who produced them now.

image.png.f2e5749b9753f3dadfbe22fba45e2b7b.png

Was magic, potato on top a wee tiny bit dry from being in the oven but nothing a bit of brown sauce couldn't sort out.

2 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:
Eetu injured last night or just not included in the match day squad? As it is, I’d bomb McCart out, the boy clearly doesn’t want to be here and someone like Mahon seems to have the hunger to succeed.

I saw E2 warming up.

He’s needing sent out on loan as he’s not going to get minutes under Callum. Being here is a waste of time and will be stunting his own development. If he offers something at a lower league side then he can potentially come back in post Davidson.

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was he just incredibly fortunate to have a wonderful squad that suited the one system he knows how to play, and it worked well in the cups?

It's often forgotten the part luck has to play. What if we hadn't squeezed past Dunfermline on pens in the League Cup (or what if Hibs had taken one or two of their glaring chances in the first half of the semi?), or what if Zander had thought "I won't bother coming up for this corner" against Rangers in the Scottish Cup?

Goes both ways, of course. Think we've been a bit unlucky at a few points this season.

Edited by Mr Heliums

19 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

The decline of May… it’s just sad to see. If you look back to the season he broke through he was running in behind, he was dropping deep, he was taking players on, he was hitting everything early, he was getting in the box and poaching. He was playing with so much confidence and now he’s just a shell of that player and offers f**k all. What kind of striker is he meant to be now? 

TBF it won't be helping that hes got folk booing him onto the park and calling him shite before hes even touched the ball. 

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF it won't be helping that hes got folk booing him onto the park and calling him shite before hes even touched the ball. 

Absolutely. I don’t think booing any player onto the park is productive. However May was a fan favourite, so the consistently shite performances definitely came first.

3 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Absolutely. I don’t think booing any player onto the park is productive. However May was a fan favourite, so the consistently shite performances definitely came first.

May, and Hendry, were more than good enough to play for a side challenging for the top half 2 seasons ago.

Since then the only striker whos looked decent for us is Chris Kane.

We've turned May back into the faux-winger who thinks he can get by with just running lots that we signed from Aberdeen, when he'd been starting to turn into a proper striker again under TW. His time here is up and should've been up in the Summer, but the clown in charge can notch him up as yet another attacking players that hes sucked all confidence from.

Edited by RandomGuy.

19 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
24 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:
Eetu injured last night or just not included in the match day squad? As it is, I’d bomb McCart out, the boy clearly doesn’t want to be here and someone like Mahon seems to have the hunger to succeed.

I saw E2 warming up.

He may well have been , but he wasn't a named sub. 

Impossible not to agree with the long list of players previous posters say we need but I also think we will then need players out. We already have so many that neither E2 nor any youths can even make the bench so more bodies in just means even more "first team" players sat in the stands. Just useless players all over the shop. 

Key contenders to leave should be Crawford (if only), May, McCart, Ambrose. 

Brown and Booth would be next for me but obviously can't just now, together with MOH and Middleton, of whom the same is probably true. 

Based only on his limited appearances, in which he does play a weird brand of football that involves hogging the ball and getting tackled a lot, I'd still pick E2 over any of them, in any position 

The treatment of E2 has been nothing short of a disgrace. I feel really sorry for him. Makes his way out here from a foreign country, probably doesn’t have many - if any - friends in Scotland and undoubtedly has hopes of progressing his career with us. He’s just in the door and is almost instantly treated like absolute shite by the manager. I don’t believe that E2 is so pish that he can’t get a game for this dogshit side that can’t score goals. Is he really that awful that we had to bring Hendry and Ciftci in? The whole thing stinks.

We are just so easy to play against. We’ll work the ball to our wingbacks who will inevitably be closed down by 2 players, forces the ball back to the centreback and then hoof and repeat. Fucking hell, I could have set Dundee up not to concede last night, so of course McPake could figure it out, along with all the other competent managers in the league. 

I was all for giving Davidson this game to get a reaction, which he did to an extent from the players, who looked more determined. However he himself has yet again done nothing to change us and the players are suffering from it. 

I was unable to go last night but sounds like I didn’t miss anything. 

If he’s going to persist with the 3 centre half and 2 wing back thing he needs to make the wing backs attacking players.  They need to be wingers who can beat players and get crosses in, rather than full backs.

Either that or he needs to abandon it, go 4 at the back and use the extra man as a forward going player. 

To me it’s that simple.

Rooney coming back might help because he can be counted as an attacking threat on the right although not a winger. Any word on when/if he’ll be back?

14 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

The treatment of E2 has been nothing short of a disgrace. I feel really sorry for him. Makes his way out here from a foreign country, probably doesn’t have many - if any - friends in Scotland and undoubtedly has hopes of progressing his career with us. He’s just in the door and is almost instantly treated like absolute shite by the manager. I don’t believe that E2 is so pish that he can’t get a game for this dogshit side that can’t score goals. Is he really that awful that we had to bring Hendry and Ciftci in? The whole thing stinks.

I agree absolutely disgusted at the way we have treated this guy.

17 minutes ago, Widge said:

We are just so easy to play against. We’ll work the ball to our wingbacks who will inevitably be closed down by 2 players, forces the ball back to the centreback and then hoof and repeat. Fucking hell, I could have set Dundee up not to concede last night, so of course McPake could figure it out, along with all the other competent managers in the league. 

I was all for giving Davidson this game to get a reaction, which he did to an extent from the players, who looked more determined. However he himself has yet again done nothing to change us and the players are suffering from it. 

Playing Brown and Booth as wingbacks is hilarious btw. You’d struggle to find two full backs less suited to that role.

30 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Playing Brown and Booth as wingbacks is hilarious btw. You’d struggle to find two full backs less suited to that role.

It's mind boggling that Davidson can't see it. 

Not only are they both incapable of beating a man, Brown in particular also seems incapable of crossing on the rare occasion a man doesn't need beaten first. 

In addition, they are both, and in particular Booth, incredibly slow which means as soon as they cross the halfway line, as they have to do when pretending to be wingbacks, you can write them off entirely for the inevitable counter.

Although not exactly the situation described, Booths involvement in the goals conceded to hearts shows this. Looked stuck in the mud, and that wasn't even as far as tracking back from an attempted attacking cross

Edited by FrankChickens1

I don't think the boos were for May coming on, more for Hendry being taken off when he looked like the only attacking player showing any attacking intent and ability.