Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, PauloPerth said:

I don't think the boos were for May coming on, more for Hendry being taken off when he looked like the only attacking player showing any attacking intent and ability.

There were more as he came onto the park then I'm sure I heard a shout about him being shite as he took position.

Subbing him on to replace an all action Hendry was just feeding him to the wolves anyway as we all know he can't match that. 

28 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

It's mind boggling that Davidson can't see it. 

Not only are they both incapable of beating a man, Brown in particular also seems incapable of crossing on the rare occasion a man doesn't need beaten first. 

In addition, they are both, and in particular Booth, incredibly slow which means as soon as they cross the halfway line, as they have to do when pretending to be wingbacks, you can write them off entirely for the inevitable counter.

Although not exactly the situation described, Booths involvement in the goals conceded to hearts shows this. Looked stuck in the mud, and that wasn't even as far as tracking back from an attempted attacking cross

The thing about Booth and Brown being shite wingbacks is fair, they are particularly shite at that. Would they be any better in a four without three CBs covering for them? I very much doubt it tbh. Their deficiencies will still be glaringly obvious.

I suppose we'd at least have another shite midfielder/striker the park, that might be a bonus.

‘A couple of signings’ today though, eh? That’s exciting. Who will they be? 

A loan signing from Palace that will play 1 game and a 20 year old from Australia who’s visa application will take 5 months to complete.

39 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't think the boos were for May coming on, more for Hendry being taken off when he looked like the only attacking player showing any attacking intent and ability.

Much like taking of Ciftci at Kelty. Just wrong. It’s these things that are about as worrying as anything else. Bad decisions again and again.

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

A loan signing from Palace that will play 1 game and a 20 year old from Australia who’s visa application will take 5 months to complete.

Those are my predictions too! If not the Australian, it might be the dubious acquisition of Kevin McDonald. Hallberg is the one I’d be most satisfied with, so it’s safe to say that we won’t be hearing his name again.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

For everyone else he'll be a hard done by manager who was merely a victim of the "modern fan" and a board who didn't support him.

Maybe if you look at the headlines which mention last season with no context. The record speaks for itself. No wins in 12 games and 8 straight league defeats is awful and any manager would be lucky to survive never mind the cup defeat. I thought Davidson might turn it around- he had a poor start last season too, but then went on a great run, but it just hasn't happened.

We got criticism at letting Danny Lennon leave at the end of season after we won the cup (but made an arse replacing him) and Stubbs as well but loyalty only goes so far and sometimes you get a feeling it's right time to make a change.

The season we last went down the final flush was flogging Kenny McLean to Aberdeen on the final day of the January window. Was Kerr and McCann leaving on the final day similar for St Johnstone? Hard to replace with similar quality added to a manager not willing to adapt and change the system. Mind you Goodwin was similarly wedded to a system, finally changed it and we've won 3 out of 3 since....

Much like taking of Ciftci at Kelty. Just wrong. It’s these things that are about as worrying as anything else. Bad decisions again and again.

Completely agree. Bizarre taking off your obviously most threatening player in either game.

In the cold light of day, I now kind of see why Davidson was reasonably content with the outcome. After 10 defeats he obviously was just desperate to avoid another loss, get a clean sheet to stop the rot.

I don't agree with it, Dundee are one of the few teams we should have been looking at as an opportunity to take 3 points, there won't be many. Especially on the back of the kelty result, if we'd struggled to a narrow victory there then you could try to sell it as 2 games unbeaten.

If we were to take something from Pittodrie, even another 0-0, then maybe it's a start of something to try and build on..

But we could go every match for the next month thinking 'if only we can get something next week..'

I took one major positive from last night. These two teams look equally dreadful. In any ordinary season, a team of our quality or Dundee’s quality would be cast well adrift of everyone else in the league. This time around, we’re incredibly fortunate to have each other.

So let’s not focus on achieving an ‘average minimum points total’ for staying up. I don’t think those numbers are achievable. Let’s just concentrate on finishing above Dundee. Three more points should be enough.

Edited by The Real Saints

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

The thing about Booth and Brown being shite wingbacks is fair, they are particularly shite at that. Would they be any better in a four without three CBs covering for them? I very much doubt it tbh. Their deficiencies will still be glaringly obvious.

I suppose we'd at least have another shite midfielder/striker the park, that might be a bonus.

They'd still be shite, but what I meant was at least they'd be doing it in our half of the pitch. Attacking threat just the same as currently, and marginal increase in defence, maybe. Going back to galatasary threads I've been strongly against both. 

26 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

I took one major positive from last night. These two teams look equally dreadful. In any ordinary season, a team of our quality or Dundee’s quality would be cast well adrift of everyone else in the league. This time around, we’re incredible fortunate to have each other.

So let’s not focus on achieving an ‘average minimum points total’ for staying up. I don’t think those numbers are achievable. Let’s just concentrate on finishing above Dundee. Three more points should be enough.

Some "supercomputer" predicted the final table and it had us and Dundee separated by a point.

Most of these things are shite but it suggests the head to head games will be key. Only one left now.

The loss of Bryson, Rooney and Wotherspoon isn’t helping us one but at the moment - I mean I certainly don’t think chances would be quite as thin on the ground if all three of those players were available - but it’s just showing how thin the squad Davidson has built is that there is no attacking quality available when you lose a right back and a couple of over 30 midfielders to injury. Taking Ciftci out for a period is going to reduce the quality further.

If Davidson doesn’t go then the quality of signings to come in today and over the weekend is going to have to be stratospheric to get us out of this mess. I just can’t see it.

1 hour ago, The Real Saints said:

‘A couple of signings’ today though, eh? That’s exciting. Who will they be? 

1. 21-year-old EPL reserve with zero senior appearances.

2. c**t you haven't heard anything about for five years but was on the fringes of the Scotland squad in 2010.

I actually quite like both Brown and Booth as players, they’re alright on the ball and decent defensively. Brown has improved a lot from the timid player we first signed on loan imo.

But the issue is both are completely unsuited to the wing back role in this system. Booth worked there last season because Wotherspoon was in the form of his life and managed to always be out on the wing in support while also doing a power of work in the middle. Booth would overlap or underlap and then always have Wotherspoon alongside as an option or at least drawing players away. But this season the ball goes out wide and either Booth or Brown are left alone trying to beat two players with no support or little support. That is not their game.

I think both would be good in a back 4 with wingers ahead in a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and Brown could be a genuine long term option for us. If this system manager can’t see that he needs to be replaced with someone who can.

41 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

They'd still be shite, but what I meant was at least they'd be doing it in our half of the pitch. Attacking threat just the same as currently, and marginal increase in defence, maybe. Going back to galatasary threads I've been strongly against both. 

I still think Booth could offer something in attack if he had a Wotherspoon or Conway type to link up with. But he doesn't. Brown is fine as a squad/utility player who will do a job when required - but never as a long-term starting wing-back.

We're not going to be able to buy anyone good enough in midfield to turn this around, so we probably need to pull at least one Mehdi Abeid quality of loan out the bag. A young player who's on the fringes of the first team, not a player who's never going to end up playing above league 2 level. It'll never happen though. 

Our strikers are shite, but midfield and wingers/wing backs are the main issues to sort out if he's determined to stick with this formation and way of playing. It doesn't matter who we have up front if we're creating absolute f**k all for them to feed on.