Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 minutes ago, Lex said:

You’d think you’d signed our star player 🤣 He couldn’t get a game for us and he’s been getting almost universally negative reviews from your fans (particularly yourself) since you signed him on loan in August. Yet you’ve paid us a fee to sign him…. I’m delighted with this bit of business from our club. How do you feel about it?

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've never seen anyone try as hard as Lex is, think thats the 5th 6th post hes made today about MacPherson and how he doesn't care hes moved 😂

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

You’d think you’d signed our star player 🤣 He couldn’t get a game for us and he’s been getting almost universally negative reviews from your fans (particularly yourself) since you signed him on loan in August. Yet you’ve paid us a fee to sign him…. I’m delighted with this bit of business from our club. How do you feel about it?

We’re playing checkers whilst everyone around us plays chess, it’s been the case for much of the last 6 months. why we didn’t just hold any permanent signing talks until after the window closed is beyond me. Might be because we would’ve had to pay compensation anyway and we just thought we’d be as well sorting all that out now, but it’s a bizarre position to get ourselves in and you do feel that time could’ve been better spent on trying to bring someone in who’s not already at the club in some guise. 

Tanser was always a better attacking wing back then defensive full back. I’m quite happy to see him doing well for himself at St Mirren. Absolutely no harm to a guy who contributed to us winning a cup double. He never let us down but equally wasn’t guaranteed football at the start this season either (given Booth’s form he would be playing every week here by now too) which is what he said he wanted. I also ended up being his shirt sponsor for the Scottish cup final so he’ll always get a favourable hearing from me. 

37 minutes ago, Lex said:

No hate from me. Cammy is a nice lad but he wasn’t going to be getting a game for us and I wish him well. He’s right to move to get regular football, it’s not like we wanted him and he chose to go to you instead.
Like you wanted Tanser, but he chose to come to us, for example. Would you hate him if he scored to relegate you?
Scott’s been involved in more goals in his short time here than Cammy was in the last two years with us, and he’s a defender. He got yet another assist at the weekend as we breezed by a tricky away tie to lower league opponents in the cup - which I know isn’t for everyone.

Are you on first name terms with the whole St Mirren squad or just Scott and Cammy?

Edited by YassinMoutaouakil

2 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Are you on first name terms with the whole St Mirren squad or just Scott and Cammy?

He almost definitely DMs the squad individually every week over Twitter telling them they "played great pal".

If ever we were going to go 4 at the back, it probably was at kelty. But, maybe Wednesday there is a slight chance as well without Gordon there to organise. Are we going to start 2 new centre backs in such a big game?

Difficult to name a team you'd fancy going into this. I wanted us to switch at HT at the weekend to get MOH and Middleton on the wings to get crosses into Cifti and Kane, but for some reason Middleton was brought on as a straight swap for a striker, before eventually being moved wide. He looked so nervous and lacking in confidence that it's hard to justify starting him on Wednesday. He looks like a scared wee boy, tripping over the ball when it came to him a couple of times.

We have no attacking player on the right with MOH and Rooney out. On the left, Gallacher puts in a good delivery from wing back, but defensively suspect.

Clark

Brown Cleary McCart Booth

Gilmour Butterfield MacPherson

Cifti

Kane Hendry

Cifti to drop into midfield in pockets of space to get on the ball, play 1-2's or turn and drive forward.

Not great, and I think Crawford will start as he looked a threat on a couple of occasions at the weekend and the manager likes him. Could he play wide right, Gallacher further forward as left midfield if it was 4-4-2?

What I expect it will be is 5-3-2 with Booth back in, Mahon for Gordon and MacPherson in for Gilmour.

It'll be 

Clark

Brown - Cleary - Mahon - McCart - Booth

MacPherson - Butterfield - Crawford

Kane - Ciftci

I think. Our squad is still a mess as he's built it to play one shape.

3 hours ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60116322

Callum saying another one or two to come in. If he’d just change the system to play to the players strengths and we get a result on Wednesday it’ll hopefully change everyone’s perspective. 

Personally I really hope Callum gets us out of this because if he doesn’t, we go down and he is fired I feel it will taint the amazing achievements of last season in folk’s memories forever which is just very sad really.

Sadly, I think that ship sailed the moment the full time whistle blew at Kelty. 

Henceforth, any reference made to the cup double winning side of 20/21 will be accompanied by "...but you remember what happened a few months later, right?". 

When football historians of the future compile lists we'll be a lot more likely to feature on the list titled "rapid decline" than "source of inspiration". 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'll stick my head above the parapet and say the, rumoured, £50k for MacPherson isn't horrendous.

He's cleary not solving our issues at all and the idea he was a McCann replacement is laughable, but hes not shite and, as part of a squad, would play his part I think. Hes still young enough he might develop into something better too as he gains more experience. Not even the worst CM deal we've announced this month.

The Kevin McDonald links are far more troubling for me, the last thing we need is an ageing CM who has health issues, as shitty as that sounds. We need everyone to be fit and ready to step in, and we have enough CMs we can't rely on being fit.

Suspect a CM + Forrest is the plan for the final two signings, and there'll be some outstanding meltdowns about us not signing a striker beyond Ciftci. 

I agree with this. 

It's fairly easy to fall into the trap of evaluating players individually, however I think MacPherson could improve, even flourish, in the right formation and with the right players around him

I say improve, but it's possibly worth noting that of our existing midfielders MacPherson tops the table for total assists (2) and chances created (15), despite playing fewer games than almost everyone else (the assists figure is for all competitions).

I'd likely have a different opinion if we were talking low six figures, but I feel £50k is worth a punt. 

9 hours ago, Radford said:

Has it not always been 14 days after a totting up booking that you serve the suspension?

Gordon's ban won't kick in until 1 February. 

Have the club actually said he's suspended? 

That Lt Kojak Slaphead on WAP has been saying it, sure he's usually correct when he posts.

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

That Lt Kojak Slaphead on WAP has been saying it, sure he's usually correct when he posts.

Although I see he's now changed his mind on that this morning 😂

Screenshot_20220125-073800_Drive.thumb.jpg.5c211860aca757c40ba62ede6df82b58.jpg

Edited by RandomGuy.