Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I fancy a bet on St Johnstone staying up. Something about the weekend felt a bit nadir-y. It's not like you haven't done similar before, and the teams above are well within reach.

We need three points on Wednesday, if we get beat we’re fucked.

Class - now all we need is Tommy and Drey Wright, Matt Butcher and Tony Ralston and then we’ve got the team that was flying in 19/20 before the pandemic shut down.

If you squint a little and know nothing about football you might mistake Cammy McPherson for McCann too.

In all seriousness it’s a good move to bring Hendry back if there’s no one better out there, which I imagine is what this move signals. Our striking options have clearly improved from this time last month when it was just May or Kane.

Other thing about Hendry (and taking into account his 1/3 ratio at Killie) is since he broke into our team he’s scored goals at a reasonable rate in every Saints system and in all of his loan spells, with the exception of Callum’s 5-4-1/5-3-2. Sadly feel like he’ll be back looking lost in that system again but if Callum does roll the dice and try something different Hendry might really produce the goods for us. Even if he doesn’t, I think he could be good in the 5-3-2 with a strike partner who does the hold-up work, leaving Hendry in the box - e.g he might have buried one of the many quite decent crosses flung into the box at Kelty that May got nowhere near.

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

What do we make of Jacob Butterfield? I’m still struggling to figure him out at this point. Some positive moments where he potentially looks like our best midfielder followed by periods where I don’t notice him or moments when he makes a slack pass resulting in danger. Maybe worth trying him in a more advanced position?

Rubbish. But Gary rates him... 

I'm not a huge fan of Hendry but you know he'll get physical with defenders and get into scoring positions. That'll be an upgrade on May who seems terrified of defenders every time his confidence drops.

Can't wait to see the manager play him as a left winger for 10 minutes on Wednesday before deciding he's not worth persevering with.

28 minutes ago, mizfit said:

We’ve given up on finding another striker haven’t we?

I think they'll still be looking but it's going to be a punt now. That's not so bad for up front but it worries me that be our only options in midfield, where we really need quality. 

I'll make a bold claim and say Callum Hendry will score more goals in the league by the end of the season than Stevie May!

I was still on the fence with May, but he needs let go in the summer. He's lost all confidence in his body and the way he is shitting out of all physical contact is totally detrimental to the team. At least Kane, Eetu, Cifti and Hendry put themselves about and give defenders a battle, even if they're not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'll make a bold claim and say Callum Hendry will score more goals in the league by the end of the season than Stevie May!

I was still on the fence with May, but he needs let go in the summer. 

May, and O'Halloran, shouldve been away in the Summer. Both big earners, both approaching the end of their careers, both out of contract, neither fit the system, neither had earned a new deal.

Both of them getting 2yr deals really was a red flag at what was to come.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Rubbish. But Gary rates him... 

I think there's an extent to which he's just used to playing with better players. As I put in the match thread it was depressing watching him whip the ball out to brown or later Middleton and then see it all just break down. 

He then tried to do too much himself which wasn't great. 

Obviously not being able to adjust to the players around you sounds a bit like not a good player, but I have hope he'll get better. 

I'm depressed at the lack of Vertainen, but as each game takes on more and more pressure the chances of him getting on reduce from their present sliver to zero. Maybe we can let him knock himself out once relegation mathematically confirmed. 

2 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I'm depressed at the lack of Vertainen, but as each game takes on more and more pressure the chances of him getting on reduce from their present sliver to zero. Maybe we can let him knock himself out once relegation mathematically confirmed. 

Vertainen will never play for us again while Davidson remains.