Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Don't like going "full da", but if pretty much every previous squad over the past 15 years went through that you'd know you'd be getting a response. 

Can you imagine how our 06/07 side would've responded to that situation? Or our first cup winning side? But I guess they never really lost these games so we'll never know.

Players have an easy game to respond with on Wednesday (in terms of its easy to be fired up for it even before yesterday), they could lose it but still get fans onside if we see them responding and reacting.

I feel heart sorry for Liam Craig. An absolute warrior who doesn't deserve his Saints career to be ending this way, yet he'll still front up and put himself in the firing line. I hope he can last another season regardless because I'd hate for him to say farewell this Summer in front of a near-empty McDiarmid Park booing him.

Agree, not sure what we’ll get.  I like the sound of Mahon being a bit of a leader, a new big personality to gee everyone up surely won’t do any harm.

I stood at that corner watching it unfold, and there were probably as many folk trying to say encouraging things to the players or just standing watching. It looks a lot worse because of the set up, which made for great drama but it was fairly piss poor that there weren’t lines of stewards protecting the players, if anyone had wanted to be physical then it would have happened. Fans on the steps the staff and players had to walk up, so some of them scrambled up a muddy banking was shambolic really!

Also a bit of a myth that it’s all younger entitled folk shouting abuse. Some were, but as many were older; it was nothing to do with age, more just some folk can’t control their emotions and let it all out.  

Personally, I’m far from a happy clapper, and that reaction is obviously borne from months of frustration after expectations for this season being higher than ever before, so it hurts all the more.  But supporting a team is for the rain as well as the sunshine, and players who’ve achieved what they have for us still deserve to be treated with a bit of respect.  

I think it adds a bit of spice to Wednesday night’s game. Think the players will get a good reception, but they need to feed off it in their performance or it might turn sour again.

Know it wasn’t ideal the players having to walk through that at the end yesterday but unfortunately with the covid laws they can’t use the normal dressing rooms which is a farce , all teams have had to go through it and on a league game it’s the way I head home and most fans are pleased and giving the players applause and encouragement, think it’s been an easy target for fans to vent after months of poor form 

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Agree, not sure what we’ll get.  I like the sound of Mahon being a bit of a leader, a new big personality to gee everyone up surely won’t do any harm.

He sounds like a proper blood and snotters CB, and interviews like he enjoys a scrap, so he should be a good addition I think.

McCart can be soft so a 6"3 CB being aggressive as f**k will be nice.

I know it easy for me (and fellow other fans) to make comment with the following when it is not your own team. However, I find it funny with the talk of st johnstone wanting rid of CD. Fans are quick to moan about players and managers not showing any loyalty. Yet are revolting against a manager who won their team a cup double just last season.

1 minute ago, Aufc said:

I know it easy for me (and fellow other fans) to make comment with the following when it is not your own team. However, I find it funny with the talk of st johnstone wanting rid of CD. Fans are quick to moan about players and managers not showing any loyalty. Yet are revolting against a manager who won their team a cup double just last season.

It’s not a personal thing. He will always be a club legend.   If it looked like nothing was going to change and sticking with him guaranteed relegation, should we stick with him for what he achieved last season? Genuine question.  

I think Wednesday night is crucial. If we get something out of the game and a reaction, some kind of performance then great let’s move forward.  If it’s a gutless defeat with no real attacking method or intent at all then it might well be time.

4 minutes ago, Aufc said:

What sort of timeframe/failure ratio is acceptable before we can turn on him?

Is the way our league season + one of, if not the, worst defeats in our history not enough to finally sway supporters away from supporting him? There were still many who backed him until this weekend.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

Gary Holt kept Livi up in 18/19 when us fans were all expecting a 12th placed finish. The following season he again kept us up despite having lost key players. He finished in the top 6 and oversaw Lyndon Dykes transformation into an international player, which got the club a huge and vital transfer fee. In his third season, though, he felt things were starting to go tits up. Rather than run the risk of contributing to the club's relegation, he resigned *before* things were fucked rather than *after* they had been. His last act there, putting aside personal ego for the good of the club, further consolidated his legend status at Livi.

So there's a counter perspective. Yours makes perfect sense too, though, of course. The problem of struggling-manager-who-has-previous-excelled is a very difficult one and doesn't have a universal solution. Case by case as each scenario differs so much.

What sort of timeframe/failure ratio is acceptable before we can turn on him?
Is the way our league season + one of, if not the, worst defeats in our history not enough to finally sway supporters away from supporting him? There were still many who backed him until this weekend.

Yeah it’s a tough one. I guess the opposite is also true. If he had been in the job 6 months and was doing fantastic but then jumped straight at the first opportunity then you guys would be pissed off. There is no loyalty in footie so I can understand the reasoning behind wanting him punted

12 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Yeah it’s a tough one. I guess the opposite is also true. If he had been in the job 6 months and was doing fantastic but then jumped straight at the first opportunity then you guys would be pissed off. There is no loyalty in footie so I can understand the reasoning behind wanting him punted

(Most) Saints fans understand we're likely just a stepping stone for most managers/players and those with success will leave, it not as if we haven't lost managers to bigger clubs regularly, before Wright stayed for so long we'd lost Coyle/McInnes/Lomas in quick succession. If Davidson had moved on this Summer I imagine everyone would've wished him well and understood.

He'd had a lot of support and leeway this season already, but it can't go on forever and I can't understand what people are expecting? Are we all just meant to just applaud him for what he achieved last season while he drags us into the Championship while treating the fanbase like idiots? I honestly think his pish about "not having a system", which was just an insult to supporters intelligence, before the match yesterday just increased the frustration in the crowd.

Calm heads required surely? Things can change quickly in football....

Killie appointed Wright just after the window closed last season when they were sitting 10th. Ended up going down.

Similar could easily happen here with the added cost of paying up the remainder of Davidson's contract. £250k possibly? 

Not my club, but those scenes were embarrasing to watch. Adults behaving like that is shameful and I hope some the following day looked in the mirror and felt a wee bit ashamed of what they did.

My guess is if there wasnt a crowd there to hide behind not one of them would have faced the team in the manner they did.