Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The problem for Saints isn't necessarily missing out on Rudden, it's the optics of going straight in for a player when the window opened and him signing for the team one place above you when you are bottom of the league. That looks bad. And Saints need goals. 

Often spoken about the number of points required to stay up but goal difference an interesting indicator as well. The bottom two teams usually average about -27 between them, the team in tenth around -21.

Hard to see Saints really improving on a pretty miserly goals against record, so we're on course to concede about 49 goals. That would leave us needing to score 17 goals in the same number of games. Every other team in the league is managing that (goal per game) but those around us are obviously conceding far more. 

Anyway, 17 goals. The problem is where are they coming from at the moment? Who is going to score them? 

7 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

1. The point is that we had a huge relative commercial advantage as literally every single football team in Europe except the mega-funded operators had the same set of issues. It was exactly the time to use that advantage. Be greedy when others are fearful. Out chairman is used to operating in very risk-averse way, which 90% of the time is exactly correct as football does seem to punish the reckless. However when the circumstances change you have to change strategy. 

2. Every fan that I know of was saying this back in the summer. This is not 20/20 hindsight. 

I have no idea if the club are holding back funds or not, but to be clear this is not something that's come out of nowhere. 

Your point about whether Davidson could have been trusted with funds is a very good one, but again that's the risk aversion coming through. A highly experienced guy who had just won the cup double should have been given the benefit of the doubt IMO. Would probably have gone pear-shaped and we'd have a team of Ali Crawfords on 4 year contracts but still, at least we'd have given it a go.

On point number 2….   
yes,yes,yes.  I actually think this was unanimous.  

If we had won one of our tires in Europe we would not be in this position 

1 hour ago, saint pogo said:

The irony of you having a Chris Kane avatar is quite outstanding..

Fair point, although Chris Kane did the honourable thing and got it shaved off (on orders by the club apparently). The aforementioned three have some of the worst barnets in the Premiership and therefore suit Dundee perfectly.

I'm going back to FM09 again tonight, reminisce about the glory days.

Sheerin, Morris, Millar, Craig, Hardie, Swankie, Moon in midfield. Samuel, Peaso, Savo, Jackson up front.

Beautiful.

I just can't see where the players we need to maybe stay up are going to come from as they won't fancy the likely prospect of championship football next season. 

Just shit all round. We've fucked this up good and proper. 

:(

Forrest is a left inverted winger/inside forward so would be ideal in the 3-4-3/5-4-1 Davidson sometimes plays. I think 5-3-2 is the preference, though, and in that Forrest would play left centre forward. He has sometimes played there for Livi and he'd drift wide left or into the left channel but stay high rather than drop deep. He doesn't do back to goal, link-up play but rather always looks for space to take the ball on the half turn and dribble forward. He'd provide Booth a good outlet. He dribbles, finishes and presses very well. 

So there's my shitey scout report. If you get him off us this window, he won't fire the team back into form by himself but will definitely contribute to a resurgence.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm going back to FM09 again tonight, reminisce about the glory days.

Sheerin, Morris, Millar, Craig, Hardie, Swankie, Moon in midfield. Samuel, Peaso, Savo, Jackson up front.

Beautiful.

Mooner - whats he up to these days?

48 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Forrest is a left inverted winger/inside forward so would be ideal in the 3-4-3/5-4-1 Davidson sometimes plays.

He'd definitely suit that system more than the other/current one, although obviously it presents problems when Wotherspoon returns. That's a bridge to be crossed down the line though. 

It would also leave us, still, without anyone really capable of playing on the right of the front three. 

I've as much desire to see him playing at centre forward as I do Glenn Middleton and Michael O'Halloran though.