Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

Interesting with the Mahon signing as he appears to be a right footed CB. Surely this means McCart is off now if we're paying over 100k for a player who might not be a starter if McCart-Gordon- Cleary are all fit, so it makes no sense otherwise

Did giving Crawford a 2 and a half year deal make sense?

Did selling McCann and Kerr for 1.8 million make sense?

Saints and “make sense” are very far apart right now.

Wouldn't we all but he's playing against camel herders for millions.

When Mehdi played in Perth he got in my pals taxi after a night at loft. Pal asked him how he found living in Perth and he responded by moaning about loft being shite for women.

21 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Interesting with the Mahon signing as he appears to be a right footed CB. Surely this means McCart is off now if we're paying over 100k for a player who might not be a starter if McCart-Gordon- Cleary are all fit, so it makes no sense otherwise

Mahon-Gordon-Cleary

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

When Mehdi played in Perth he got in my pals taxi after a night at loft. Pal asked him how he found living in Perth and he responded by moaning about loft being shite for women.

He's not wrong although if I had the option of taking 4 wives the loft wouldn't be where I'd look.

22 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

If we're wedded to 3 at the back I want four players capable of and fighting for those roles. Although debatable that McCart in current form is still one of those.

Four new faces where 3 are defenders and 2 of those right sided CBs isn't exactly getting me excited, though.

2 minutes ago, csteinle said:

Four new faces where 3 are defenders and 2 of those right sided CBs isn't exactly getting me excited, though.

Mahon has pretty much only played LCB this season, from what I can see.

A pretty needless comparison this, but seeing that Mahon has barely scored in his career made me think about Kevin James because I was convinced he was getting close to double figures each season for us

Obviously he wasn't, but his scoring rate of about 1 in 6 is similar to Chris Kane over his career for us and Stevie May if you take out "that" season which was about 8 years ago

Really hope Ciftci can get some goals

Think we just need to see what comes over the next 10 days. I think a centre back is required, having lost 2, only replaced with 1 and then you've got Ambrose who looks pretty awful and McCart wildly out of form.

It's definitely the kind of signing I want to see Saints make, young player, lots of experience already and someone we can develop more and potentially sell on. I'd assume he'll be on a very long contract if we're paying a 6 figure fee for him.

Also worth noting that Burns is reporting that a PCA is close with Forrest too. Suspect the club will want to push that through before the window closes if he is keen to come here and I think a pre-contract makes that one more likely.

I think the defensive signings look good and Ciftci was excellent in the first half against Hearts. For it to mean anything, we need to sort the midfield. 

Edited by Kyle

Wonder if Rooney’s injury is also a contributory factor in us adding another defender.

If, however, this means we are we going to get cash for McCart and the deals cancel each other out then I’m all for it.  Any cash for McCart now after the season he’s had so far would be worth taking.

Survive this season somehow, and our defence is in place for next season other than a more attacking rwb than Brown.

Maybe this would allow us to pursue targets for more advanced positions…

21 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Of a 2 or 3?

I don't know tbh, my research went as far as logging onto my laptop for 2 minutes to make a chart and look at his WyScout profile, which had an endless row of "LCB" for his position as I scrolled down his games this season 😅

45 minutes ago, csteinle said:

If we're wedded to 3 at the back I want four players capable of and fighting for those roles. Although debatable that McCart in current form is still one of those.

If it’s Cleary-Gordon-Mahon then you’ve got Ambrose as cover, who hasn’t been as awful as is made out other than that Livi match, and also Brown who has played some of his better games at centre back. At a push, Booth can also step in one position to LCB.

That frees up McCart as far as I’m concerned.  We can’t just be signing all these players with a view to next season as who knows which division we’ll be in.  Surely it’s with the intention of this being our team for the remainder of the season.

1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

If it’s Cleary-Gordon-Mahon then you’ve got Ambrose as cover, who hasn’t been as awful as is made out other than that Livi match, and also Brown who has played some of his better games at centre back. At a push, Booth can also step in one position to LCB.

That frees up McCart as far as I’m concerned.  We can’t just be signing all these players with a view to next season as who knows which division we’ll be in.  Surely it’s with the intention of this being our team for the remainder of the season.

If nobody wants McCart this month I'd rather have him as back up than Ambrose, who perhaps joins Dunfermline once Mahon is done?

Cleary, Gordon, Mahon, McCart, Brown would be enough for CB I think. 

If there is any positive in the Rooney injury, it's surely that it'll focus minds on bringing in a RWB, whereas before they were maybe just weighing it up. 

Unless he's honking, John Mahon again the right type of signing. Short of them being, as said, honking, you can't criticise these sort of additions, even if they don't quite work out. 

Although obviously if this instance, we need them to. 

43 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

A pretty needless comparison this, but seeing that Mahon has barely scored in his career made me think about Kevin James because I was convinced he was getting close to double figures each season for us

Having watched the highlights of it last night, and remembered about the game, the cup tie away to Falkirk was hilarious as they had absolutely no way of stopping him at corners.

Just stood on the 6 yard line and got the ball plopped onto his head.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Having watched the highlights of it last night, and remembered about the game, the cup tie away to Falkirk was hilarious as they had absolutely no way of stopping him at corners.

Two absolutely identical goals into Kasper Schmeichel. Love it.

McCart either had his head turned by Hibs, thinks he's achieved all he needs to after last season or needed Kerr holding his hand for 90 minutes. 

He's been consistently dreadful this season so some competition might just do him good. Or he's off this month.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Two absolutely identical goals into Kasper Schmeichel. Love it.

The fact he'd spent multiple seasons doing exactly that for us, and then we (Hughes) were unwilling or unable to formulate a strategy to combat him that day was infuriating.

46 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

McCart either had his head turned by Hibs, thinks he's achieved all he needs to after last season or needed Kerr holding his hand for 90 minutes. 

He's been consistently dreadful this season so some competition might just do him good. Or he's off this month.

I don't quite agree. He was still good after Kerr went, a real leader in the closing stages up at Pittodrie for example.

Easter Road appeared to be the turning point, he hasn't kicked a ball really since then.

It'll be interesting to see if he can reignite somewhere else, when players historically struggle after moving on from Saints of their own volition. 

Edited by Radford