Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Have we even agreed terms with Forrest yet? Seems all a bit pointless to bid for the player if he's not even spoken with us about signing at least in the summer.

Might be a slightly underhand tactic, but if he agrees a PCA, are Livi really going to want a guy kicking around who could disrupt the team harmony and there isn't 100% guarantee to try his best. Not that I'm saying Forrest is like that, but you can see how speculation and future moves affects players, just look at McCart as a prime example!

If we chuck quarter of a million at Livi for an almost out of contract Alan Forrest I'll probably have a fucking stroke tbh.

57ba27a2dac4d069f11aba7612df5bb7.jpg

“No chance son, that car park isn’t going to tarmac itself, should probably see about buying a nice malt for the Muirton too, that’ll keep the visiting cove fans next season happy.”

On 19/01/2022 at 14:53, Vinnyjag said:

Honestly, Rudden (at this moment in time) is not at a Premier League standard. He has a lot to learn and certainly wouldn’t be the striker to get you out of trouble. If you are looking to sign a player for the future then potentially Rudden is the guy. I and many Jags fans are not overly bothered whether he leaves or not.

I have heard the same from a Jags fan i know and tbh i wasn't impressed with him in the televised game, not even slightly

Only player who can play RWB out.

We're now left with a full back who needs a winger in front of him, and a winger who needs a full back behind him, as right sided options.

I wonder what we'll do.

From the same article -

“In terms of transfers, Davidson confirmed the club are still trying to get some deals over the line.

He added: “People know we’ve got funds to spend but it’s difficult because it’s about getting the right balance between what the signings are worth and what you think they’ll bring to the team.

“Agents can give you players who aren’t quite up to speed or available when you think they are.

“We’re not really a club that are flushed with cash either but it’s not just me, there are other clubs and managers going through the same thing.””

Sorry, but the chairman’s been talking about the money in the bank, and the income from the summer sales. Either the chairman’s reneged on the significant funds, or he never planned to give us them.

28 minutes ago, mizfit said:

So, reneged?

We offered £150k for Deas at the same time as lodging a bid for Rudden, and potentially at the same time as Forrest too.

Hes quite clearly getting money to spend.

I'd honestly be more than happy if they don't chuck huge fees at players this window. I made my peace with us being relegated this season a while ago so lets just not make any more f**k ups like handing Crawford a 2.5yr deal thanks. Happy to take 6 month punts on your Ciftci types but if folk are getting fees paid for them and multi-year deals then they have to be right, we don't want to be in the Championship with a bloated squad full of shit.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Sorry, but the chairman’s been talking about the money in the bank, and the income from the summer sales. Either the chairman’s reneged on the significant funds, or he never planned to give us them.

How is he reneging, unless you're suggesting we never bid six-figure sums for two Championship players, or repeatedly bid for Forrest? As Random says, we've also wasted a lengthy contract on Crawford, and Cleary and Gallagher didn't come cheap. What other clubs in relegation trouble are trying to spend like we are? It's ludicrous to talk about reneging, but as usual the chairman is a target that's easy to aim at, when that's all you see.

Other clubs know we're desperate, which is why we keep getting knocked back. And I suspect players are hesitant too. There is the question of value, which I think is the point Davidson is making.

The point he can't make is that having seen the quality available and the price being asked for it, we're reaching the stage where it might be best to keep some money back in case we need it for a promotion bid.

Spot on @RandomGuy. People are moaning about saints not spending the money to get these players in, but ultimately we’re still a business. The deal has to be right for everyone, ok we may need to pay slightly more than we’d like to get guys in, but it’s ludicrous to think we’ll spent 300/400k on guys who’re out of contract. I’m happy if saints walk away from deals if they’re not in our interests, it’s just clever management. The likes of Deas and Rudden aren’t saving us from relegation, they’re ones for the future. I’d like to sign them for their potential, but realistically neither have played at this level and likelihood is they’d be let Championship players. So if we do want Rudden, I’d save the transfer fee, agree the PCA and then spend the fee on someone’s wages for 6 months, who might just save us. 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

We offered £150k for Deas at the same time as lodging a bid for Rudden, and potentially at the same time as Forrest too.

Hes quite clearly getting money to spend.

I'd honestly be more than happy if they don't chuck huge fees at players this window. I made my peace with us being relegated this season a while ago so lets just not make any more f**k ups like handing Crawford a 2.5yr deal thanks. Happy to take 6 month punts on your Ciftci types but if folk are getting fees paid for them and multi-year deals then they have to be right, we don't want to be in the Championship with a bloated squad full of shit.

I'm not there yet on relegation. I might be by Sunday morning, but not yet. 

To me, we need to be giving ourselves a shot at staying up but at the same time making sure that we go into summer as a very strong Championship team to maximise our chance of coming straight back up. With that in mind, for the right players (Deas would be a good example I think)  I'd not be against 1.5yr deals. 

Should surely have the reserves to ride out one season in the league below so if we start now hoping for the best but planning for the worst then we should be strengthening in core positions for the next 18 months.