Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, akuram said:

Neither Kerr or McCann started last night for their new teams. What a waste of their talent now as we are missing them so much.

I find it staggering that Lowe has come in and isn't using McCann. Guy must be an utter clown. 

I said this last season (with a few of your agreeing) but Davidson seems like a cup tie manager to me. 

I think you're capable of setting up to win a one off game of football, but the type of football he wants to play doesn't offer any consistency other than struggling to score.

I could easily see St Johnstone end up in the relegation playoff, whilst also visiting Hampden at least once before the end of the season.

I said this last season (with a few of your agreeing) but Davidson seems like a cup tie manager to me. 
I think you're capable of setting up to win a one off game of football, but the type of football he wants to play doesn't offer any consistency other than struggling to score.
I could easily see St Johnstone end up in the relegation playoff, whilst also visiting Hampden at least once before the end of the season.

We finished 5th last season. He'll still go on to be a good manager if we somehow come through this, as it will surely teach him a lot.

He won 2 cups in his first season, took us to 5th from being second bottom at new year, and had us holding Galatasary with 30 minutes to go in the second leg. I would imagine it would be difficult for any manager not to believe his own hype after that kind of first year in charge.

Reading his comment after last night that we are in crisis is refreshing for me, as at last he's acknowledging the reality of our situation, and not just thinking things will improve soon because that's what usually happens with Saints, which seems to have been the mindset this whole season to me.

Discounting the two OF matches, we have 15 games to get points from. Finishing above Dundee should be the target now, anything more a bonus as it looks a big gap to 10th. A two legged play off against killie/ Thistle/ Inverness/ Rovers or Arbroath would be a reasonable proposition given where we are right now.

Plus, we've achieved most other things in Scottish football the past 15 years, but never had the buzz of a play off, so it would be a good crack.

13 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

We finished 5th last season. He'll still go on to be a good manager if we somehow come through this, as it will surely teach him a lot.

He won 2 cups in his first season, took us to 5th from being second bottom at new year, and had us holding Galatasary with 30 minutes to go in the second leg. I would imagine it would be difficult for any manager not to believe his own hype after that kind of first year in charge.

Reading his comment after last night that we are in crisis is refreshing for me, as at last he's acknowledging the reality of our situation, and not just thinking things will improve soon because that's what usually happens with Saints, which seems to have been the mindset this whole season to me.

Discounting the two OF matches, we have 15 games to get points from. Finishing above Dundee should be the target now, anything more a bonus as it looks a big gap to 10th. A two legged play off against killie/ Thistle/ Inverness/ Rovers or Arbroath would be a reasonable proposition given where we are right now.

Plus, we've achieved most other things in Scottish football the past 15 years, but never had the buzz of a play off, so it would be a good crack.

Correct me if I'm wrong but last year was basically a Tommy Wright squad? Turned to shite since he's had to source his own players?

Could also mention that last season we finished 4th, comfortably. This was despite being awful. You were closer to relegation play off than you were to us points wise (playing the other top 6 sides has to be taking in to account though).

It certainly was not meant as an insult. If we both go through then St Johnstone would genuinely be the last team I'd want in the draw, OF aside.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

There goes the considerable add ons as well.

Aye that was my thought when he went there in particular and a few guys were talking about BIG ADD ONS. That league is an absolute meat grinder and unless you're going somewhere with a good chance of promotion you're one new manager who doesn't fancy you away from getting stuck in the stands and then out on loan to League 1, with a lot of work to get a decent chance at that level again. They're not identical situations and McCann is imo a considerably better player upon leaving our league but it reminds me of Liam Kelly when he left Killie and within 2 years he was at Oldham, only getting back to the Championship at 30 if I'm not wrong. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye that was my thought when he went there in particular and a few guys were talking about BIG ADD ONS. That league is an absolute meat grinder and unless you're going somewhere with a good chance of promotion you're one new manager who doesn't fancy you away from getting stuck in the stands and then out on loan to League 1, with a lot of work to get a decent chance at that level again. They're not identical situations and McCann is imo a considerably better player upon leaving our league but it reminds me of Liam Kelly when he left Killie and within 2 years he was at Oldham, only getting back to the Championship at 30 if I'm not wrong. 

You're spot on. 

If Nisbet was to go this window and not hit the ground running in that league then he'll be in League One next January at the latest.

Everyone wants the Premier League cash immediately.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's probably already too late for that, tbh. How many decent players are available in the middle of the January window? Would it even be worth massively overpaying for Deas or Rudden?

They're in a position now where they each chuck money at absolute punts, or pray someone brilliant appears late in the window and actually wants to join. I'd be surprised if anyone they'd actively targeted this window beforehand was still waiting on an offer from us.

Honestly, Rudden (at this moment in time) is not at a Premier League standard. He has a lot to learn and certainly wouldn’t be the striker to get you out of trouble. If you are looking to sign a player for the future then potentially Rudden is the guy. I and many Jags fans are not overly bothered whether he leaves or not.

4 hours ago, akuram said:

Neither Kerr or McCann started last night for their new teams. What a waste of their talent now as we are missing them so much.

They start most games.  They are on a lot more money than Saints could pay them - guaranteed football at Saints was never going to stop them going. 

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

You're spot on. 

If Nisbet was to go this window and not hit the ground running in that league then he'll be in League One next January at the latest.

Everyone wants the Premier League cash immediately.

Aye Nisbet is a really tricky one at this point, like trying to sell an obviously high quality car with the exhaust trailing along the ground. He needs to get some form back before any sort of decent suitor takes an interest, I don't think there's even been much reported interest since last January and the resulting drop in form. Tbh I think you're silly to be relying on sell-on fees or any add-ons for strikers you're punting down south, cash up front or in installments please. McCormack aside there's not a big tradition of strikers doing well down there and if you're not one of 6ft9, able to run a 9 second 100m or as you say hit the ground running with goals you'll get immediately dumped.

I think we got promised some decent sell ons for May when Wednesday came in and what you’ve described happened to him.

New manager
Benched
Reserves
Sold to Preston
Knee exploded
Sold to recoup losses
Aberdeen

So many talented players have ruined their careers moving to the wrong club down south or too soon down south.

55 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Aye Nisbet is a really tricky one at this point, like trying to sell an obviously high quality car with the exhaust trailing along the ground. He needs to get some form back before any sort of decent suitor takes an interest, I don't think there's even been much reported interest since last January and the resulting drop in form. Tbh I think you're silly to be relying on sell-on fees or any add-ons for strikers you're punting down south, cash up front or in installments please. McCormack aside there's not a big tradition of strikers doing well down there and if you're not one of 6ft9, able to run a 9 second 100m or as you say hit the ground running with goals you'll get immediately dumped.

Adam Rooney struggled at Oldham and they released him. Couldn't believe it. What a deal for the Dons that was.

5 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Alan Forrest anyone?

I don't think he's as good as an in-form Middleton, although I'm close to forgetting what that looks like. 

At least he wouldn't be on loan, although equally this season's Middleton won't make it at the Rangers and will be a free agent soon enough too. 

Watching the two Bruce Anderson goals for Livi last night really emphasises our lack of threat the past year or so. Apparently he’s now got 9 league goals and 3 assists.

It was just a raw hunger and desire to score that stood out. You get the impression he’d have kicked teammates out of the road to get his shot at goal.  Can’t remember the last time we saw that from a Saints player in the penalty box.  Admittedly we’re not in the opposition box that much, but even so..

From just after 4:30 in this video 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/60050824