Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Not really any help but I guess at least they've been looking in those areas? If those 4 had come in alongside the ones who have signed that'd be pretty much what I'd say you need.
Also it's Melker Hallberg but I prefer Mellberg anyway haha

I’m that angry I’m creating new players.

53 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

The bad news for you is that you're right and you will be in a spot of bother if you lose to Dundee next week. The good news for you is that the last time Dundee had a real chance to step on the throat of the bottom placed team we lost to said team 0-5 at home!! 

We don't kill teams off when we have a chance, and let me remind you that St Johnstone. put 3 past us the last time we showed up to McDiarmid. We're diabolical.

You beat us pretty comfortably the last time we played, 1-0 but could easily have been more than that.  I know we are all having a game of who is the shitest here but just genuinely see us winning a game ever again right now.  

10 minutes ago, Costanza said:

You beat us pretty comfortably the last time we played, 1-0 but could easily have been more than that.  I know we are all having a game of who is the shitest here but just genuinely see us winning a game ever again right now.  

Aye, but aside from the disaster of the 0-5 at home to County we are a different animal at Dens. On the road we are a mob of utter wasters. How many times have St Johnstone scored 3 in a game against anyone other than Dundee in the last couple of years?

3 minutes ago, CanadianDee said:

Aye, but aside from the disaster of the 0-5 at home to County we are a different animal at Dens. On the road we are a mob of utter wasters. How many times have St Johnstone scored 3 in a game against anyone other than Dundee in the last couple of years?

You share the honour of conceding 2 goals in a match to us this season, with only Galatasaray, if that makes you feel in better company. 

20 minutes ago, Costanza said:

First half team from last night does not lose to Dundee IMO. Second half, although folk are being (rightly) critical we were punished by speed and quality through the middle that teams in the bottom 6 generally don't have. 

I've also slept on in and trying to put as positive a light on it as possible, but we have to acknowledge that the Hearts team from last night are light years ahead of the team that were relegated and they have quality we simply don't have (in attack and through the midfield at least, Mackay was the best player on the park by a distance IMO). 

I still think that with 2 blockbuster signings in midfield and a striker we can scrape at least a playoff place. Ideally we do that in the next 48 hours and hope that Dundee don't significantly strengthen in this window. 

ETA also appreciate that it's the shape that is the major issue, particularly never changing it. If the manager didn't think that there was enough time during this window to deal with that, what with new players coming in, then he must surely use the summer to deal with that if he's still here. 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

26 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

First half team from last night does not lose to Dundee IMO.

Aye but do they beat them?

We have to gain, at least, 7 points on someone to avoid the bottom two. Trying to simply avoid losing and keep the score down is absolutely pointless unless we've already accepted we're finishing bottom two. If the manager/players have the mindset that we're bottom two already then we're fucked.

the £1.75m for McCann (what a pathetic sum we ended up getting up front)

Yes. Easy to forget what a dreadful bit of business that was. The point was made recently that Utd got a better deal for a 17 year old who has played about 15 first team matches than we could get for a 21 year old full international who'd stood out in European matches against Galatasary.

Whether he wanted away or not, that was nonsense.

2 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Yes. Easy to forget what a dreadful bit of business that was. The point was made recently that Utd got a better deal for a 17 year old who has played about 15 first team matches than we could get for a 21 year old full international who'd stood out in European matches against Galatasary.

Whether he wanted away or not, that was nonsense.

Made worse by the fact that it wasn't £1.75m, if you combine the up front fees we got for Kerr and McCann, it was just over that amount. Really terrible business, albeit there were at least mitigations with the Kerr deal.

38 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

First half team from last night does not lose to Dundee IMO. Second half, although folk are being (rightly) critical we were punished by speed and quality through the middle that teams in the bottom 6 generally don't have. 

I've also slept on in and trying to put as positive a light on it as possible, but we have to acknowledge that the Hearts team from last night are light years ahead of the team that were relegated and they have quality we simply don't have (in attack and through the midfield at least, Mackay was the best player on the park by a distance IMO). 

I still think that with 2 blockbuster signings in midfield and a striker we can scrape at least a playoff place. Ideally we do that in the next 48 hours and hope that Dundee don't significantly strengthen in this window. 

ETA also appreciate that it's the shape that is the major issue, particularly never changing it. If the manager didn't think that there was enough time during this window to deal with that, what with new players coming in, then he must surely use the summer to deal with that if he's still here. 

Agree with this. First half gave everyone some optimisim for it all to fall away to basic errors and a very good side. In other games, we may have much more of the ball and one positive is Cifti looks like a bright spark.

Game vs Dundee is massive, but we need another couple of bodies in before then. 

Made worse by the fact that it wasn't £1.75m, if you combine the up front fees we got for Kerr and McCann, it was just over that amount. Really terrible business, albeit there were at least mitigations with the Kerr deal.

Yes I could understand the desire to get whatever we could for Kerr as he was obviously set on a move and in the final year of his contract, but McCann still had nearly 2 years. We quietly accept Preston's first offer, whilst look how Ian McCall manages to get a few clubs interested in a lower level jobber to push the price up.

Still feel the agent and McCann shafted Saints a bit though.

Yes I could understand the desire to get whatever we could for Kerr as he was obviously set on a move and in the final year of his contract, but McCann still had nearly 2 years. We quietly accept Preston's first offer, whilst look how Ian McCall manages to get a few clubs interested in a lower level jobber to push the price up.

Still feel the agent and McCann shafted Saints a bit though.

Tree House Tam has pretty much said that, it’s clear once figures were mentioned his head turned. And I don’t blame him, he’s a young lad and it’s a short career.

What we didn’t do though, is push the boat out and get what we wanted for him, Brown can claim all he wants £1.75m is the value, but he’d spent all summer talking about how he was worth more than the Callum Davidson deal.

Who knows, maybe behind the scenes today they sit down and decide to stop pissing in the wind and try and sort this.

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Who knows, maybe behind the scenes today they sit down and decide to stop pissing in the wind and try and sort this.

It's probably already too late for that, tbh. How many decent players are available in the middle of the January window? Would it even be worth massively overpaying for Deas or Rudden?

They're in a position now where they each chuck money at absolute punts, or pray someone brilliant appears late in the window and actually wants to join. I'd be surprised if anyone they'd actively targeted this window beforehand was still waiting on an offer from us.

Tree House Tam has pretty much said that, it’s clear once figures were mentioned his head turned. And I don’t blame him, he’s a young lad and it’s a short career.

For me that's where your management skills come in. You've got a figure in mind, and let's be honest over £2m up front wouldn't have been unreasonable, and you only sell if it's met.

Unless, of course there was a buy out clause set very low which Preston met, but this was never mentioned.

If not, you sit the player down and explain we're keen for him to move on but it has to be right for the club, he's doing brilliant and his opportunity to move will come, possibly in four months time in the January window. Even if he sulks for a week or two so what, it's not in his interests not to play his best longer term.

A contract works two ways. If McCann turned out to just be having a great spell, then after signing his new deal he was bang average, would he and his agent be happy just to cancel the remaining two years? Of course not.

Doing the right thing by the player isn't going to make anyone feel great if we end up in the championship.

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Doing the right thing by the player isn't going to make anyone feel great if we end up in the championship.

Callum and wee Broon had the conversation about keeping him, they both came to the conclusion after going through every scenario and with the player telling them he wanted to leave, with Callum uttering the words "sell him" near the end of the conversation. They didn't want an unhappy player, they didn't want to look like they were holding up a young players career path, they thought he was replaceable....

Shitebags if you ask me. Every young player needs a release fee put in their contract from now on.

There is no chance that the polite, well-mannered and grounded young man Ali McCann would have thrown some sort of hissy fit about not getting his move at that point. He would have been disappointed for a week or two, whilst continuing to put in consistently good performances and gaining an even better reputation amongst outsiders in the following months. The amount we accepted was embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

There is no chance that the polite, well-mannered and grounded young man Ali McCann would have thrown some sort of hissy fit about not getting his move at that point. He would have been disappointed for a week or two, whilst continuing to put in consistently good performances and gaining an even better reputation amongst outsiders in the following months. The amount we accepted was embarrassing.

Exactly. His stock was high and he was establishing himself as an international. He barely looked out of place against Galatasaray.  I don't believe he'd have downed tools or refused to train.

Tam's correct. Shitebag behaviour.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Do you see these signings materialising because I certainly can't.  Very quiet on the transfer front.