Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

For the first time in 35 years I don't want to watch St Johnstone play. I already know the formation, the lineups, the subs, the result.

And nothing is going to change with Callum at the helm, so why bother watching for 90mins.

Someone give me a shout when he's gone please.

Yes if we don't score first it's likely to be curtains, we're so powder puff going forward.

I'd like Davidson to go for more ruthless measures with the squad; pack May off to a killie or Falkirk on loan, even if they contribute a third of his wages it's something. Tell Rangers Middleton won't play another minute so send him back. I guess we're stuck with Crawford, but can he go on loan for 3 months to a desperate championship side.

These players have had plenty time and chances and will not improve our situation. Being loyal to that level of individual performance does no one any good.

Bring in whatever we can. Even hungry young players from our academy to bring something fresh.

19 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

For the first time in 35 years I don't want to watch St Johnstone play. I already know the formation, the lineups, the subs, the result.

And nothing is going to change with Callum at the helm, so why bother watching for 90mins.

Someone give me a shout when he's gone please.

Pretty much how I feel. We’ve gone through terrible runs before but Davidson has managed to suck all joy out of watching this team. Not quite at the point of stopping watching yet but I really don’t see any case for his defence at this point. 

5 minutes ago, double deluxe said:

Carrying a knock, should be back for Dundee

Great, looking forward to 90 minutes of McCart shelling balls in his general direction.

We needed to improve quality by 25-30% over the window. I reckon on tonight's showing we're, maybe, 10% better. 

May, MOH, Butterfield, Crawford were simply dreadful tonight. Muzz gives his all but he's a busted flush now. Overall we look too old, too slow, too predictable.

Still, some brighter points. MacPherson could have turned a corner or it could be another false dawn and I think Nadir and Kane could work well together. 

Next Wednesday night will potentially define our season. A midfielder and a striker with the right quality and energy in the next couple of days could  - just - get is limping towards a playoff. 

1 hour ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

We needed to improve quality by 25-30% over the window. I reckon on tonight's showing we're, maybe, 10% better. 

May, MOH, Butterfield, Crawford were simply dreadful tonight. Muzz gives his all but he's a busted flush now. Overall we look too old, too slow, too predictable.

Still, some brighter points. MacPherson could have turned a corner or it could be another false dawn and I think Nadir and Kane could work well together. 

Next Wednesday night will potentially define our season. A midfielder and a striker with the right quality and energy in the next couple of days could  - just - get is limping towards a playoff. 

First half I’d agree that we were a bit better. Second half was terrible, back to the shambles pre-split right down to the manager making like for like subs and not acknowledging his shape and formation are a big reason we’re looking utterly doomed. 

Edited by Kyle

I don't see the likes of Zak Rudden being the answer right now. He'd be one you'd be signing with a view to developing for the future, but not convinced a player who is doing well in the championship, but by no means is head and shoulders above the opposition, is necessarily going to come straight in at this level and perform. I think it's going to have to be a player with a more proven pedigree than that. Another Cifti, but f**k knows where we find one of them, or more importantly how we convince him to sign for us.

Centre midfield remains the biggest priority for me right now though. The gaping holes in our midfield with players too slow to cover the ground in time is a glaring issue. Admittedly, hearts were quick and incisive in there tonight, and we won't be playing that standard of opponent every week, but we could well see kelty's midfield outperforming ours at the weekend.

If we need to spend a couple of hundred grand in that area on a 5 month deal for someone ordinarily way beyond us then get it done. Our midfield is the weakest in the division by quite a way I would guess and has to be improved. MacPherson is decent on the ball, and I'm not bothered either way if he signs, but he's not dominant or aggressive enough in there to be the answer. Unless Gilmour lives up to the recent hype...

Booth isn't an SPL player and never has been. I was asking all season for Devine to get some minutes ahead of him, hopefully Gallacher now can. Guess Booth will be in the right place when we go down though.

If we were a normal club then Kelty Hearts would be a perfect chance to let Eetu get some minutes on the pitch against an opposition where, in theory, some of the more cavalier parts of his play have a marginally greater chance of going unpunished. I can't see him playing at all sadly - even if I can accept Hearts away isn't a game in which he should have played.

Part of the problem with being rock bottom is that Kane, May and everybody else should be looking at Kelty and also thinking they want on in the hope of cheering themselves up a bit, although if its anything like May v Arbroath that simply won't happen.

Weeks on and thinking about 2.5 years for Crawford still makes me full on 'sit down and have a breather' angry. 

Guys like McCart, MOH, and May all need taken out of the team now. McCart’s regression in particular is absolutely staggering. Poor with the ball and bad at defending. MacPherson was much better last night than previously but he’s probably not what we need right now in there. The only marginal positive is that Ciftci looks sharp and should provide us some kind of spark up front.

We were a total rabble in that second half and were just inviting Hearts to score a second (and more). 

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

If we need to spend a couple of hundred grand in that area on a 5 month deal for someone ordinarily way beyond us then get it done. 

Don't worry, he's already primed to chuck money at yet more paceless, ageing, jobbers, if he gets his way.

I’ve slept on it, and we are fucked. 19 days into a window and no signings since the 4th.

If anyone remembers the chairman’s statement from September he stated the £1.75m for McCann (what a pathetic sum we ended up getting up front) would be invested back into the club.

2 free agents, and a 20 year old from Liverpool does not equate to that. We’ve now missed out presumably on Shaw, Hallberg, Rudden & Deas, because we’re both not in an attractive position, or making realistic offers.

The manager has had 4 weeks to think and review the system, I’ve got to say I’m disappointed we’ve gone straight back in with the same system, Ciftci wants a shot on goal, but after we concede we’ve a mental block there that’s stopping us.

1 more defeat, and it matches the club record for losing runs. Davidson, and everyone behind the scenes has 1 week to figure out and save our season or we go down.

48 minutes ago, mizfit said:

2 free agents, and a 20 year old from Liverpool does not equate to that. We’ve now missed out presumably on Shaw, Mellberg, Rudden & Deas, because we’re both not in an attractive position, or making realistic offers.

Not really any help but I guess at least they've been looking in those areas? If those 4 had come in alongside the ones who have signed that'd be pretty much what I'd say you need.

Also it's Melker Hallberg but I prefer Mellberg anyway haha

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

Plain and simple, we lose to Dundee on Wednesday and we’re down.

The bad news for you is that you're right and you will be in a spot of bother if you lose to Dundee next week. The good news for you is that the last time Dundee had a real chance to step on the throat of the bottom placed team we lost to said team 0-5 at home!! 

We don't kill teams off when we have a chance, and let me remind you that St Johnstone. put 3 past us the last time we showed up to McDiarmid. We're diabolical.

We're not fucked yet, a few more bad results though and we will be. Davidson has proven that he's a  coach and not a manager, he simply doesn't have the minerals. The lack of foresight and having a clear plan for targets is amateurish, planning as a team with Boyd and Grieve was THE most important factor before this window. They have all failed. Some may say that's harsh as ultimately the manager has the final say and if he's a dithering indecisive idiot then there's not much they can do, but, they have to be assertive and call him out and Callum needs to be able to take that on board. If not the clubs fucked.

Busy few days left of the transfer window, another striker as good as or better than Ciftci and a very good CM is a must.