Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

He'd play in front of an extra couple thousand supporters every other week, would have Derby games (if we stay up) and at this level and the short careers footballers have even £200-300 per week could make a huge difference. How do you know he won't receive superior coaching? I'm not saying he will, but you're assuming his personal relationships with coaching staff and the facilities each club utilise.

I highly doubt he will sign for us, but it's not a stretch. Players move clubs within this league all the time. Look at Tanser for an example.

I see the logic in what you are saying in that even a moderate increase in wages might be enough of a temptation to move sidewards in the same way Tanser did. However, I think McCart is fairly ambitious and he would see that move as a stall in his career. TBH the last 6 months have seen a stall and regression, so it may well be that a move down south is less likely than would have been thought in the summer.

His dad will have all sorts of contacts, so he will possibly have more options that another player either similar abilities to him.

Might sound harsh and like a dig, so it's not really meant to be, but would a player of his age see Dundee as much of a draw? In his lifetime he will only know Dundee as a yoyo club with a chequered financial history.

2 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

He'd play in front of an extra couple thousand supporters every other week, would have Derby games (if we stay up) and at this level and the short careers footballers have even £200-300 per week could make a huge difference. How do you know he won't receive superior coaching? I'm not saying he will, but you're assuming his personal relationships with coaching staff and the facilities each club utilise.

I highly doubt he will sign for us, but it's not a stretch. Players move clubs within this league all the time. Look at Tanser for an example.

Not saying it never happens but Tanser was pretty clear in the media about his move. He'd lost his place and was too much of a shitebag to fight for it.

Never surprised at St Johnstone's lack of urgency or ability to seal a deal quickly. 

I'll be very disappointed if a decent midfielder isn't signed soon.

Although I'm actually quite excited about seeing Gilmour get some game time. Maybe Gilmour and Butterfield could be the answer?

22 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Never surprised at St Johnstone's lack of urgency or ability to seal a deal quickly. 

I'll be very disappointed if a decent midfielder isn't signed soon.

Although I'm actually quite excited about seeing Gilmour get some game time. Maybe Gilmour and Butterfield could be the answer?

Not remotely excited by Gilmour. Alloa are shite.

So I have a question having just seen a football headline.

How can Dundee United get £2m for a 17 year old who’s hardly ever played in the first team? 

Meanwhile we couldn’t even get that for Ali McCann, an established full international player with more than a full season of top flight first team experience?

13 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

How can Dundee United get £2m for a 17 year old who’s hardly ever played in the first team? 

Meanwhile we couldn’t even get that for Ali McCann, an established full international player with more than a full season of top flight first team experience?

It's not £2m upfront.

14 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

It's not £2m upfront.

Neither was McCann. The way I’ve read it is that we might end up with £1.75m eventually and United stand to make £2m eventually. So they’re getting more for this kid who’s never played. I just don’t get it.

Unless I’m completely wrong of course!

10 minutes ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

Neither was McCann. The way I’ve read it is that we might end up with £1.75m eventually and United stand to make £2m eventually. So they’re getting more for this kid who’s never played. I just don’t get it.

Unless I’m completely wrong of course!

Ali wanted to leave and Callum didn't want an unhappy player, Saints had assured him before he signed his contract that they wouldn't stand in his way.

What should've happened was an agreed buyout clause, say 2M. It's done now though, we need to forget about it and learn for the next time.

25 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Alex Ferguson heading back from loan, 🤷‍♂️ 

His loan was due to expire this month anyway.

Believe all the younger players (Gilmour, Ballantyne, Ferguson, Denham, Max) were only on loan until January. 

1 hour ago, Sh*teAndMuck said:

I’m assuming Smith had longer on his contract. And also possible Dundee United are better at negotiating fees than we are. Which is likely

Dundee United are a bigger club than us and have more of a reputation for selling players who turn out decent i.e Armstrong, Gauld - it happens. We should have got more for McCann but I reckon we will the next time an Ali McCann comes along for us, especially if McCann goes to the top