Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Possibly on Rudden we are being a bit risky and maybe negotiating a PCA behind the scenes? That way, we kind of hold advantage over Partick over a fee. Although I'd rather we just went out and agreed a fee to get him now. Any ideas what we offered and what Partick want? Surely cannot be a massive gap...

You'd think that we want as many in before Hearts as possible. Aside from getting fresh legs in, we will need to see once we have the new guys playing what other gaps do we still have.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

Possibly on Rudden we are being a bit risky and maybe negotiating a PCA behind the scenes? That way, we kind of hold advantage over Partick over a fee. Although I'd rather we just went out and agreed a fee to get him now. Any ideas what we offered and what Partick want? Surely cannot be a massive gap...

You'd think that we want as many in before Hearts as possible. Aside from getting fresh legs in, we will need to see once we have the new guys playing what other gaps do we still have.

I don’t think Saints would operate this way. Think we’d go through Partick for permission to speak to him. 

No insider info, just opinion based on Saints usually being above board in our dealings. 

A PCA would be a great start though, and put us in a strong position to negotiate a deal now. Thistle would be more likely to cash in now knowing he’s away for nothing in 5 months time.

I don’t think Saints would operate this way. Think we’d go through Partick for permission to speak to him. 

No insider info, just opinion based on Saints usually being above board in our dealings. 

A PCA would be a great start though, and put us in a strong position to negotiate a deal now. Thistle would be more likely to cash in now knowing he’s away for nothing in 5 months time.
That was before they got utterly shafted by an agent with McCann.

56 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Don’t think we need permission if he’s in the last 6 months?

36 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Likewise, he’s away to Motherwell lads. It’s over. We’re getting Dylan Easton back.

I think we've an interest in him but I don't think it's anything like a given we sign Rudden tbh. I'd be surprised of we chucked money at him (especially the sort of money Thistle seem to be angling for).

27 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I think we've an interest in him but I don't think it's anything like a given we sign Rudden tbh. I'd be surprised of we chucked money at him (especially the sort of money Thistle seem to be angling for).

What else are the government loans for?

I don’t think we’ll get him but would be surprised if Motherwell outbid us again for this particular player, given you have Van Veen who is surely undisputed first choice in that position now? Then again Motherwell do seem to be chucking a lot of ££ around in the last few years.

17 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

I don’t think we’ll get him but would be surprised if Motherwell outbid us again for this particular player, given you have Van Veen who is surely undisputed first choice in that position now? Then again Motherwell do seem to be chucking a lot of ££ around in the last few years.

They are losing Watt, who they are getting cash for...

They are losing Watt, who they are getting cash for...

They expected to lose Watt in the summer - Van Veen was the replacement. Since Watt stayed on they’ve been shoehorning one of the two into wide positions right,@Capt_oats ?

They have Shields too. If they get cash for Watt I don’t really see why they’d blow it on a player for a position they already have good options in, unless it is literally just to spite us.

45 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

They expected to lose Watt in the summer - Van Veen was the replacement. Since Watt stayed on they’ve been shoehorning one of the two into wide positions right,@Capt_oats ?

They have Shields too. If they get cash for Watt I don’t really see why they’d blow it on a player for a position they already have good options in, unless it is literally just to spite us.

Aye, the story is Watt handed in a transfer request at the end of Robinson's time at the club and was bumped for it and he supposedly had a move to England arranged for the summer but it fell through.

Van Veen was supposed to be Watt's replacement but as you say we've been shoehorning both into the side with one or the other being asked to play wide.

As far as Rudden goes I could see us taking our chances with him on a PCA in the same way we did with Conor Shields but given Thistle probably see Rudden as a big part of a tilt at promotion then they'd likely want a premium price for him to leave, which is fine and makes sense from their POV. Looking at our options with Van Veen, Shields, Woolery and Jordan Roberts probably coming back we'd probably be happy waiting until summer for someone like Rudden.

If/when Watt goes in this window we could probably get by with loaning someone in until the summer to replace him.

To add to that, while I'd take this with a massive pinch of salt, Alexander's already said that he's not necessarily looking outside the building to replace Watt just now.

On the job of replacing Watt, Alexander said the qualities offered by Connor Shields, Ross Tierney and Jordan Roberts proved there was no rush.

"I'm quite comfortable with where we are," he said. "We don't necessarily have to replace Tony from outwith the club.

"I feel we've got the players that will pick up the baton straight away."

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Ground holds about 2.2k and they will surely expect to sell more than 1k home tickets (they had 1200 vs Cowdenbeath for their first L2 game and you'd expect only 200 at most were away fans). I'd hope somewhere in the region of 1000.

Given it's a Saturday afternoon and could well be a close game (geographically too) you'd hope for it to be close to selling out with a 50/50 crowd.