Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The true fact is we would not be in this position if we had signed a couple of average even strikers before the start of the season. We had everything in our favour then not now.
There can be no argument on this.

We’ve repeatedly cut corners in the windows over the years thinking it’ll all work out. And it probably would’ve this year, had we not had the deadline we did. That is where all our issues can be traced back too.

14 minutes ago, akuram said:

The true fact is we would not be in this position if we had signed a couple of average even strikers before the start of the season. We had everything in our favour then not now.

I think we've looked really short in midfield too. Crawford and MacPherson just haven't been anything like good enough and I don't think Craig or Davidson have been in any kind of form this season either. 

I still feel that we've got a lot of issues to address in the window. Hopefully we're able to address some of them before the window closes. I do feel the defence is sorted now at least, and Ciftci will hopefully add something up top even if he's not been a regular goalscorer in a while.

21 minutes ago, Kyle said:

and Ciftci will hopefully add something up top even if he's not been a regular goalscorer in a while.

Great, another non scoring striker for Callum to jizz over. I agree the defence looks sorted, I'd even be telling MOH that he's now competing with Rooney for his place in the team. We need at a minimum another striker, an attacker/winger type and a very decent midfielder. 

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I think we've looked really short in midfield too. Crawford and MacPherson just haven't been anything like good enough and I don't think Craig or Davidson have been in any kind of form this season either. 

I still feel that we've got a lot of issues to address in the window. Hopefully we're able to address some of them before the window closes. I do feel the defence is sorted now at least, and Ciftci will hopefully add something up top even if he's not been a regular goalscorer in a while.

I agree with this. We aren't where we are just because we didn't sign a couple of strikers. 

We made excuses last summer for the window with the pandemic and the manager only arriving in June, then again, more excuses in January. 

That made this summer even more vital as you'd gone a year without any evolution in the squad. Instead we had a nightmare. 

Short-term the defence might be fine - and staying up is obviously the focus - but we could have done with lining up replacements for McCart and Rooney, not just because they are leaving but because they aren't playing well. 

We need them to find form again and need to hope we don't get late offers after/if they sign PCAs. It'll either leave us short or with even more unsettled players. 

Playing Middleton and O'Halloran as strikers needs to end. It looks like he wants another striker so having four forwards should allow for that. 

The midfield has been crap since McCann left and the signings there will be very interesting. That's what is going to determine our survival you could argue. 

Edited by Radford

1 hour ago, akuram said:

Surely its Davidson's system that's contributing to the ineffective strikers - bringing in some average strikers probably isn't going to change anything.

1 hour ago, Kyle said:

I doubt very much that Ciftci is going to offer anything.

I was impressed by the Ciftci signing. He couldn't get in the Ankaragucu team this season but they're the biggest club in their league, on course for promotion and have a competitive squad. He had a solid 20/21 season when he was a regular starter at Samsunspor (which earned him the move to Ankaragucu). He's not an out and out goalscorer but is probably more comfortable shouldering that "main goal threat" responsibility than either May or Kane are. His presence could even take the pressure off those two and cause an upturn in form from them. Livi signed a completely unfit JET last season who ended up doing well. St J have got a fit and ready Ciftci ready to hit the ground running.

21 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I doubt very much that Ciftci is going to offer anything.

Possibly not. Davidson has mentioned that he’s looking for experience in our top flight and Ciftci provides that. I haven’t seen him play for a while now but he looked ok at motherwell the last time he was here, albeit that was a few years ago now. 

17 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I was impressed by the Ciftci signing. He couldn't get in the Ankaragucu team this season but they're the biggest club in their league, on course for promotion and have a competitive squad. He had a solid 20/21 season when he was a regular starter at Samsunspor (which earned him the move to Ankaragucu). He's not an out and out goalscorer but is probably more comfortable shouldering that "main goal threat" responsibility than either May or Kane are. His presence could even take the pressure off those two and cause an upturn in form from them. Livi signed a completely unfit JET last season who ended up doing well. St J have got a fit and ready Ciftci ready to hit the ground running.

Problem being we need 2 of them on the pitch at the same time, and we won't get that most games will we?

2 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

Problem being we need 2 of them on the pitch at the same time, and we won't get that most games will we?

Well at the very least Ciftci gives another option (given Vertainen wasn't fancied) and getting 2 from the 3 of May/Ciftci/Kane to hit form is quite possible. Ciftci could be good as the centre forward in a 3 man attack also. A final point on Ciftci is he has a charisma to him and the confidence from having played at a higher level. That can have a galvanising affect on teammates.

12 minutes ago, shibbydoo said:

I'm really starting to hate this formation

Not a Saints fan so not seen anywhere close to the amount of play needed to give an informed opinion but anyway; Davidson doesn't seem to get that in a 5-3-2, your wingbacks must be able to dribble with the ball. They don't have the pass ahead of them to a wide midfielder/attacker like they would in a back 4. Yet Davidson plays natural full backs as his wing backs and they can't progress the ball through dribbling. This forces May and Kane to forever be peeling wide and deep or back to goal in the channels to provide a passing option for these non-dribbling wing backs. Maybe Gallacher can provide better attacking thrust from wing back.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Should've just stopped there, off you pop.

Only so much I can obsess over my own team so I sometimes look into other clubs/teams I admire or am interested in but, fair shout.

Not a Saints fan so not seen anywhere close to the amount of play needed to give an informed opinion but anyway; Davidson doesn't seem to get that in a 5-3-2, your wingbacks must be able to dribble with the ball. They don't have the pass ahead of them to a wide midfielder/attacker like they would in a back 4. Yet Davidson plays natural full backs as his wing backs and they can't progress the ball through dribbling. This forces May and Kane to forever be peeling wide and deep or back to goal in the channels to provide a passing option for these non-dribbling wing backs. Maybe Gallacher can provide better attacking thrust from wing back.

This is a good point. The wing backs are utterly essential for making Davidson’s system work but ours largely aren’t good enough/suited to the system. Rooney when confident and in form can just run through players with the ball but we haven’t seen much of that this season.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

Hallberg has left Hibs to a “league competitor” according to some Swedish boy on Twitter.

I was told at the weekend that a deal had been almost completed for a midfielder and it would be anounced in the next few days so this would make sense.....or not 😅

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Fun fact: Samsunspor fans are not big Ciftci fans, as I found out when he was rumoured with us in the summer.

On 23/06/2021 at 20:09, RossBFaeDundee said:

Also had a look at what Samsunspor fans had to say about Ciftci... it wasn't very positive lol. Definitely not my first pick for a new striker.

On 24/06/2021 at 01:15, RossBFaeDundee said:

😆 It appears like ol' Nadir has learned f**k all over the last few years, many mentions about his shitty discipline.

No thank you. With a name that translates to 'Rare Farmer', maybe St Johnstone should have a look. Har har.

image.png.f56cf16b0baa4726173fcb66bd122b5e.png

image.png.e3fc2aff7f4a4ea117aeee7f6c319350.png

I know they missed promotion that season by the thinnest of margins, and I think they blamed him for it, though I'm not sure exactly why.