Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Oh Dear (sigh)!!

Crawford was a loan deal due to expire and therefore his long term contract for 2.5 years was planned and he was targeted to sign in January window.

Yet again trying the old Random wiggle out of what you said by now bringing ages into your argument.

For clarity if your comment had been nice to see the club giving 23/25 year olds long term deals rather than players in their 30's who have done nothing on a 6 month loan it would have made sense and not contradicted your previous post.

In fairness,  RandomGuy hates everyone aged 30+, footballer or not 😂

Interesting to read that the only reason Gallacher didn't move to Sunderland in the summer was because Liverpool wanted a higher retained sell on fee. The fact that they're keen to keep a sell on fee for him suggests that they see him eventually moving somewhere for a decent wedge. It may not transpire that way and he may never improve past his current level, but it at least gives hope that we're finally thinking forward and bringing in players with potential. I don't want to call it the "Motherwell Model", but you cant argue with the success they've had of scouting young players with room to grow and allowing them to flourish before selling on for 6/7 figure sums, then investing some of that cash in to brining in their replacements.

29 minutes ago, Widge said:

Interesting to read that the only reason Gallacher didn't move to Sunderland in the summer was because Liverpool wanted a higher retained sell on fee. The fact that they're keen to keep a sell on fee for him suggests that they see him eventually moving somewhere for a decent wedge. It may not transpire that way and he may never improve past his current level, but it at least gives hope that we're finally thinking forward and bringing in players with potential. I don't want to call it the "Motherwell Model", but you cant argue with the success they've had of scouting young players with room to grow and allowing them to flourish before selling on for 6/7 figure sums, then investing some of that cash in to brining in their replacements.

Does that then imply that we did actually pay a fee and/or that Liverpool may have a sell on?

31 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Does that then imply that we did actually pay a fee and/or that Liverpool may have a sell on?

I would assume so, given he wasn't out of contract until the summer and the implication was Liverpool were happy to release him, but with a retained sell on fee. What this amount is, nobody will probably ever find out, you'd imagine 10-20%.

10 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I read something on twitter about us having to pay just under£400,000 to get him.

Load of crap, as above Liverpool were willing to let him got for nothing in the summer, not a chance saints have paid a fee for him. If we get him for nothing and sell him in the future then 80% of the fee is still a profit. 

18 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I read something on twitter about us having to pay just under£400,000 to get him.

His value is £360k on transfermarkt, so someone seems to have decided that's what we've paid.

1 hour ago, THE FAT MAN said:

I read something on twitter about us having to pay just under£400,000 to get 

Cross border fees ?? Never heard of it until now tbh, but I still highly doubt we'd part with that kind of money for any player. I would reckon like others maybe a small development fee then decent sell on clause 

I think the last person you want in the team when you're desperate at the bottom of the league with disciplinary issues in the squad and a general feeling the referees are against you is a sulky, temperamental striker.

He's not even got an impressive goal record.

24 minutes ago, Broon_100 said:

I think the last person you want in the team when you're desperate at the bottom of the league with disciplinary issues in the squad and a general feeling the referees are against you is a sulky, temperamental striker.

He's not even got an impressive goal record.

I'm in the same camp. If we really want a moody striker with questionable work ethic and discipline that could either go on a goal streak or more likely deliver bugger all, then we've already got one. 

Not that I'd be crying into my porridge if we did sign Ciftci but it would be disappointing if that was the only one. If it was either/or I'd take Rudden based on stats alone. Both could be exciting. 

We have a team of dull cloggers and as a result are by far the dullest and most predictable team in the league. Someone on here got grief for saying Ali Crawford is the most creative player in the team minus Wotherspoon - the thing is they aren’t even wrong. We’ve got Wotherspoon, Crawford and probably Vertainen who I’d say are capable of creating something from nothing: one’s injured, one’s a bit shit and the manager doesn’t fancy the other one. 6 and 7s out of ten like Booth and Kane have their place in our squad (latter in particular is maybe our most important player at the minute) but we need a bit of grumpy temperamental stardust who might get us out of a hole by scoring or creating something on their own. Both so we might score a few more goals and also so that watching Saints isn’t such a fucking bore every week.

Sign him up.

2 hours ago, Widge said:

Load of crap, as above Liverpool were willing to let him got for nothing in the summer, not a chance saints have paid a fee for him. If we get him for nothing and sell him in the future then 80% of the fee is still a profit. 

You'll possibly find because of his 'worth' and him being allowed to join you on a free that the percentage of the next sale you get to keep is about 50%. It looks the same scenario Dundee had with Jack Hendry. 

Just now, Mr. Alli said:

You'll possibly find because of his 'worth' and him being allowed to join you on a free that the percentage of the next sale you get to keep is about 50%. It looks the same scenario Dundee had with Jack Hendry. 

It might be more, who knows, but the only way we'll ever find out or need to speculate is if the lad does stand out and then it's a win/win for saints. 

If he can gain the same level of fees that Hendry has over the years I'll be delighted!