Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Regardless of how the transfers work out, as you can never guarantee success, it was important the club were active early in the window. 

The players coming in on long deals have clearly been planned for and targeted before the window opened. That increases your chance of making good signings IMO.

is it the above or your post of yesterday:

• Gold Members
  • All ends herald new beginnings...
  • My Team : St.Johnstone
  On 03/01/2022 at 13:42, Kyle said:

Be Boydy’s fault this time for organising the contract he wanted organised for Crawford. 

Any comments from him on the signing statement? 

It honestly needs justified. Not just signing him permanently but handing him such a long contract. Just an all round horrendous bit of business.

You seem to be covering all the angles so that you can say you were correct!!!

1 minute ago, Templar Saint said:

is it the above or your post of yesterday:

• Gold Members
  • All ends herald new beginnings...
  • My Team : St.Johnstone
  On 03/01/2022 at 13:42, Kyle said:

Be Boydy’s fault this time for organising the contract he wanted organised for Crawford. 

Any comments from him on the signing statement? 

It honestly needs justified. Not just signing him permanently but handing him such a long contract. Just an all round horrendous bit of business.

You seem to be covering all the angles so that you can say you were correct!!!

I've genuinely no idea what this post is meant to say.

Random Guy to day you are spouting forth about the virtues of planned long term deals thus:

The players coming in on long deals have clearly been planned for and targeted before the window opened. That increases your chance of making good signings IMO.

Yesterday you posted your displeasure at Crawfords length of deal thus:

One is the exact opposite of the other  so cannot both be correct  but no doubt at a later date you will tell us you were correct.

17 minutes ago, Templar Saint said:

Random Guy to day you are spouting forth about the virtues of planned long term deals thus:

Yesterday you posted your displeasure at Crawfords length of deal thus:

One is the exact opposite of the other  so cannot both be correct  but no doubt at a later date you will tell us you were correct.

Why on Earth would I be claiming Crawford was planned and targeted for the January window when he was already at the club?

Signing a 23/25yo to 2.5 year deals is a better approach than a 30yo, to me. 

Can judge signings later, but what it does appear so far is at least the management team seem to have a plan. 2 young keen defenders in on longish contracts could be a master stroke if we can keep ourselves up.

Clearly we need some more attack minded players still, but at least the club is active. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why on Earth would I be claiming Crawford was planned and targeted for the January window when he was already at the club?

Signing a 23/25yo to 2.5 year deals is a better approach than a 30yo, to me. 

Oh Dear (sigh)!!

Crawford was a loan deal due to expire and therefore his long term contract for 2.5 years was planned and he was targeted to sign in January window.

Yet again trying the old Random wiggle out of what you said by now bringing ages into your argument.

For clarity if your comment had been nice to see the club giving 23/25 year olds long term deals rather than players in their 30's who have done nothing on a 6 month loan it would have made sense and not contradicted your previous post.

8 hours ago, Radford said:

Great work by the HoR to get this one identified and put the wheels in motion.

Meant to comment on this earlier. Certainly seeing the value of having a HoR in place with these two signings. You have to assume this is down to the HoR as they fly in the face of pretty much every other signing we’ve made under Davidson. Young, long term and potentially resale value in both. Fingers crossed we get some more of this type as the window goes on. 

Edited by Kyle

Can judge signings later, but what it does appear so far is at least the management team seem to have a plan. 2 young keen defenders in on longish contracts could be a master stroke if we can keep ourselves up.
Clearly we need some more attack minded players still, but at least the club is active. 

Yes definitely been a very proactive window so far. And as mentioned, getting them in so early takes a bit of pressure off if we're chasing others, and gets them in training together for a couple of weeks.

Interested to see what we do attacking wise. I hadn't thought the formation or tactics were going to change very much, rightly or wrongly; Callum seems to have total belief in this system and I'd be surprised if he moved away from it. I expect the plan will be to get solid at the back first, get some clean sheets and build on that foundation.
It was how we came out of the rut last winter, a 0-0 at home to Accies then a draw with County before we kicked on.

Could all be a big whoosh, but if the hints on here are accurate, then that would be quite a big name signing for us, but it might also imply a change in priorities for our attackers.. I just can't see him chasing and closing down with intensity for 90 minutes!

Lafferty would cost a fortune and for what? A 34yo who'll be gone in 5 months and as Killie showed last season, might not even keep you up.

I'd rather see us sign Ciftci and Rudden tbh.