Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Highlandmagyar Tier 3 said:

No reason. Just some comments thinking your deals are done. 

Where have you read that?

We're quite clearly not done for this window and whoever thinks we are is a complete moron.

1 minute ago, Robin.Hood said:

Liam Shaw to St.johnstone on loan from Celtic? Unsure if mentioned, also realise can be a load of shite 

Seems very much on the cards Mr Hood. Can’t say I’ve seen much of him and not sure more loans is really what we need but he’s played a decent number of games in the English championship. Guess we’ll see if he can fill a rather giant McCann shaped hole in the middle of the pitch. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sorry, we're all just selfish fannies who should remember the days when we sat bottom of the entire league system with far worse players than Crawford!

Anyone having a go at fans for being disappointed we've just handed a shite 30yo whos contributing nothing a 2.5 year deal needs to give themselves a shake. Marching to relegation because our clownshoe manager has fucked us in 3 consecutive transfer windows and you're trying to claim fans being unhappy are more at fault?

It’s not about Ali Crawford though.  You just thrive on stirring up drama.  You should be on love island or some similar over the top reality pish, not a fucking football forum.

We’ve signed average players the entire history of the club. Those that were more than that were far and away the exception .  Making average players  perform in a system and getting the most out of them is what we’re all about.  You didn’t want Rooney and were slagging him off when he was on a pca, you slag off Drey Wright and Callum Hendry anytime they’re brought up despite both having great spells. Apparently we don’t want Butterfield because he’s another player in his 30’s. We don’t want players who’ve been with us before.

Name a player we’ve signed in the past 5 years you’re happy with.

We’ve signed a new centre back and a journeyman centre midfielder on longer term deals and had a bid for a promising young striker knocked back.  It’s the 3rd of January.

Give yourself a day off.

Don’t disagree with much of what you’ve said there Paulo, we do generally sign average players, but we generally only retain the ones who give 100% and who have given us cause to think they’ll either continue to be half decent or can move up a gear. Has Crawford done that? Not in my opinion. Was he worth giving an extension to the end of the season? Not for me but you could make an argument that he scored two goals early in his saints career and he might be able to grab a few more important ones as the season goes on. A two and a half year permanent contract though, directly from a club who pay good wages as Bolton will inevitably do? That’s a pretty horrible deal for me, makes no logical sense. He’s hardly going to have had a lot of offers to fend off either as he’s either been injured or unspectacular over the last few years. 

Just my opinion, but I think this is very short sighted. 

32 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s not about Ali Crawford though.  You just thrive on stirring up drama.  You should be on love island or some similar over the top reality pish, not a fucking football forum.

We’ve signed average players the entire history of the club. Those that were more than that were far and away the exception .  Making average players  perform in a system and getting the most out of them is what we’re all about.  You didn’t want Rooney and were slagging him off when he was on a pca, you slag off Drey Wright and Callum Hendry anytime they’re brought up despite both having great spells. Apparently we don’t want Butterfield because he’s another player in his 30’s. We don’t want players who’ve been with us before.

We’ve signed a new centre back and a journeyman centre midfielder on longer term deals and had a bid for a promising young striker knocked back.  It’s the 3rd of January.

Give yourself a day off.

Thing is it's absolutely justifiable to question the signing policy at the moment. None of them have been much good since Callum came in. 

Arguably his best one has been Craig Conway.

46 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Give yourself a day off.

C'mon Paulo, you're better than this.

7 hours ago, gannonball said:

Some of the comments on twitter:lol: 

Hope he has thick skin.

If he reads twitter like he tries to read a game of footie, then he'll probably think we're comparing him to Messi 

59 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I mean, avoiding the personal stuff which folk seem to love chucking at me, I'd agree, its not all about Ali Crawford. I've had a real issue with how the manager goes about squad building and Crawford getting chucked a 2.5yr deal with 6 months left on his Bolton deal, after doing nothing to deserve such a deal, is merely the latest mistake. Neither Booth, May, or MOH, done anything to earn a 2/3 year deal either considering where they are in their career. 

• Signing "average" players before doesn't mean that we just have to endlessly grind away doing that, you are allowed to improve.
  • Getting average players above their system was a Tommy Wright thing. We absolutely did not have a squad full of average players (for their level) under Coyle or McInnes.
  • I didn't "slag" Rooneys signing at all. I'm fairly sure I said he was the right profile for what we wanted but I had doubts about his defensive ability as he seemed to lose his marker a lot. Thats something hes been better at that I expected.
  • Drey Wright would be our highest earner if he signed. I constantly ridicule the suggestion because a player who gives you 0 goals or assists a season, and who has a history of serious recurring injuries, simply wouldn't be worth it. 
  • Callum Hendry is finished at the club. I think he should be our best striker but lacks something mentally. I've seen nothing from his to suggest he can first choice at a top flight club until he can resolve that. He wasn't even first choice at Kilmarnock under Tommy Wright. Davidson clearly doesn't trust him so he's unlikely to ever get a run with us again and will likely leave this Summer if not before.
  • We have far too many over 30 players. We don't have a single contracted CM under 30 whos played more than 3 top flight games, that can't continue.

From memory, at the time they were signed...

McCart, Cleary, Rooney, Gilmour, Wright, Kennedy, Scougall, McMillan, Watt, May, Vertainen, Melamed

... were all players I liked the club signing. Beyond that I remember thinking Alston was a good signing too. Some worked out and some didn't, thats life.

My issue just now is how few Davidson has made in 3 windows. Gilmour the only one whos last more than a season and hes played like 2 games for us? I don't see any reason for us to be chucking 2.5 year deals at 30yo squad players tbh. We can do so much better than that and it just feels lazy.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Give yourself a day off.

Post of the year. Ok it’s only 3 days, but that’s a proper telt.