Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

The one good thing about the tweet is its outed the absolute weirdos in our support who flat out refuse to criticise the club for anything.

11 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The one good thing about the tweet is its outed the absolute weirdos in our support who flat out refuse to criticise the club for anything.

Clutching at straws here as this is a horrible, horrible signing on so many levels but at least we're hearing it now and not at the end of the month. 

Given that it's been discussed as common knowledge for what seems like a month now, you have to wonder if it's just something that they couldn't back out of for some reason (as I said, clutching at straws). Genuinely hard to imagine that CD, or anyone else, would push this through on the evidence of the last few months if there was a way out and the board must surely be aware of the fan's views, to the point that this is almost a 'f**k you' to the supporters. Is there something more going on here?

Over and above the fan reaction and the on-park implications of this you have to wonder what it's going to do in the dressing room. 

13 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Given that it's been discussed as common knowledge for what seems like a month now, you have to wonder if it's just something that they couldn't back out of for some reason

Someone at the club in the last couple of months has decided they want to sign Ali Crawford on a 2.5 year deal. 

There's no hidden clause in the loan agreement, nobody has forced this on us, its a decision that's been made by someone at the club.

You can figure that one out I'd guess, but I suspect many will continue to dance around that issue and try and convince themselves that it'll magically improve.

I suspect he signed that deal months ago after a couple of positive games and now his true colours are revealed it looks a horrendous deal. Let’s see if he’s willing to actually try now. 

2 hours ago, Templar Saint said:

Seems to be a lot of negative reaction to alleged transfer business being conducted.

Lets wait and see what actual happens with incoming/outgoings before we start slagging everybody at the club.

It’s the times we’re in. The entire Saints support on here have worked themselves into a frenzy of negativity about everything we do.

We are the whinging little bitches of the forum. 

It’s how I’ve always viewed Dundee and St Mirren fans, slaughtering all the players and their clubs constantly and creating an environment where no player would want to play.

We’ve been shite all season and undoubtedly lost the momentum from the double cup wins but ffs deal with it and move on.  Constantly slagging everything benefits no one but our relegation rivals.

Crawford hasn’t impressed, and it seems a very generous deal, but who the f**k has impressed this season?  Folk acting like this signing is a surprise when it was literally in the paper over a month ago that Davidson wanted to sign him up longer term.

2 minutes ago, akuram said:

Why not if he would come to us, at least he is a presence up front and seems to always give 100% and scores goals.
Just what we need is it not.

Worked for Killie last season...

Lafferty is 34 and managed more than 10 games for 1 club just once (11 games) in the last 5 years. He'd be here for a payday and to try and get a move. Its just pointless constantly filling your squad with short term fixes (loans or short deals) as you end up in this exact situation we're in. Cleary deal shows you can get mid-20s players on decent deals to come in and with quality for the now and the future.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It’s the times we’re in. The entire Saints support on here have worked themselves into a frenzy of negativity about everything we do.

It’s how I’ve always viewed Dundee and St Mirren fans, slaughtering all the players and their clubs constantly and creating an environment where no player would want to play.

We’ve been shite all season and undoubtedly lost the momentum from the double cup wins but ffs deal with it and move on.  Constantly slagging everything benefits no one but our relegation rivals.

Crawford hasn’t impressed, and it seems a very generous deal, but who the f**k has impressed this season?  Folk acting like this signing is a surprise when it was literally in the paper over a month ago that Davidson wanted to sign him up longer term.

Sorry, we're all just selfish fannies who should remember the days when we sat bottom of the entire league system with far worse players than Crawford!

Anyone having a go at fans for being disappointed we've just handed a shite 30yo whos contributing nothing a 2.5 year deal needs to give themselves a shake. Marching to relegation because our clownshoe manager has fucked us in 3 consecutive transfer windows and you're trying to claim fans being unhappy are more at fault?

7 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

f**k knows what they would be like if they followed us in the late 70,s early 80,s

32 minutes ago, Widge said:

I suspect he signed that deal months ago after a couple of positive games and now his true colours are revealed it looks a horrendous deal. Let’s see if he’s willing to actually try now. 

That's what I was getting at, what I don't get though is that I didn't think you could sign a contract outside of the window. Maybe PCA or some variation of that. 

Point is that I'd like to think if there was a chance of not signing Crawford then the club would surely have taken that option. 

Anyway let's see what the rest of the window brings, still early days yet and so far we've had what looks like a good Irish CB, a Celtic loan which could be anything but at least gives a bit of youth/cover in an area of the park we've got our oldest players and games every fortnight coming up and the Crawford deal which we all expected anyway. With Devine and Dendonker away I think we're due a couple more. 

I don't think one will be MacPherson, on the basis that unlike Crawford there's been no paper talk about a permanent deal for him. 

ETA it's quiet on the Viv situation. He might stay given that he's not looking like he's made massive strides in his fitness and might need a bit more game time?

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

2 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

That's what I was getting at, what I don't get though is that I didn't think you could sign a contract outside of the window. Maybe PCA or some variation of that. 

Point is that I'd like to think if there was a chance of not signing Crawford then the club would surely have taken that option. 

He couldn't sign a PCA until the December.

Its been arranged with Bolton to let him join us permanently this window as his loan was due to expire this month.

The club have actively signed him on a 2.5 year deal over the past month.

I don't have an issue with keeping Crawford and I don't think he's as bad a player as we're all making out. He does have an attacking threat.

That being said, a 2.5 year contract is absolutely ridiculous. He'd barely earned a renewal to the end of the season. An addition 2 years is absolutely crazy. Totally unjustifiable and not what we all need in terms of building confidence in the manager and recruitment team after losing 8 games in a bloody row.