Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

56 minutes ago, Radford said:

Watch us make good signings now, then sell Clark at 11:50pm on deadline day... 

Thankfully I don't think we'll see the club make that type of decision again. This Summer a real nadir for the club, and could be a blessing if it inspires change in how they act towards transfer windows.

Thankfully I don't think we'll see the club make that type of decision again. This Summer a real nadir for the club, and could be a blessing if it inspires change in how they act towards transfer windows.

I think they were caught off guard with the reaction. The grovelling I’m sorry message said it all for me.

What will be interesting with any early signings is where it might leave Rooney and McCart. I think he'll probably (rightly or wrongly) stick with McCart until such a time comes as he leaves (which they must be prepared for) but Rooney has only started little over half our games this season at RWB so there could be more temptation there to bring someone else in. You then have competition/cover if he's still here and a replacement if the club/player decides on a move. 
With Brown already here, a more attacking RWB would provide a good balance. A player like O'Halloran but with more game intelligence and an actual ability to cross the ball in a way that isn't a low ball to the front post. 
Same applies at LWB, a more attacking option to compliment Booth. 
Add in Cleary and flush out some (all?) of the loans and that'd do the defence, with the club primed for if they need a McCart replacement. 

Completely agree on wing backs. More important than anything else if we stick with this system is ensuring in all games minus those v old firm we have wing backs on either side who are quick, can cross the ball and ideally chip in with goals. They’re the most important element of making the system work, Booth and Brown would be decent full backs in a 4 but having either in this system really hurts us offensively.

I think Rooney is an alright option on the right but he isn’t having a good season and has also been injured a fair bit. If he’s defo leaving then we could do worse than re-signing Drey Wright to play RWB..

LWB a harder position to fill. It’s criminal that last season we had Tanser and Booth competing for that position - both players with plusses and minuses who had good runs of form and bad runs of form. Then Tanser turns down a contract and rather than bringing in someone to complement Booth and properly challenge him we sign a kid on loan who’s barely played any football instead. People (Eric N) saying it’s harsh to blame Davidson for the dreadful replacements for McCann/Kerr because they left at the last minute should reflect on that - the manager had months to plan for replacing Scott Tanser in a crucial part of his system and instead put all his eggs in the solid but unspectacular Booth basket. I think that shows really poor judgement.

25 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

We have wing backs on either side who are quick, can cross the ball and ideally chip in with goals.

we could do worse than re-signing Drey Wright to play RWB..

Meh. He’s likely available and would improve on what we have: that’s enough for me. Can’t hold romantic notions about not shagging the ex because she disrespected you 2 years ago in a relegation battle.

Also, at Saints Wright was quick, could sometimes go past his man and could lift the ball when he crossed it, on rare occasions putting it into a good area. He wasn’t great but all of those things were still true. That’s an improvement on O’Halloran, Brown and generally Rooney. If there are better players out there I haven’t heard of on the manager’s radar that would be great, but if the option is Drey Wright or some 34 year old jobber Gary Rowett has recommended.. I know who I’d go for.

Drey Wright was an injury prone nothing player who'd be one of our highest earners, you'd think we'd learn after the MOH/May sagas, which are still ongoing.

You’d think we'd learn after the MOH/May sagas, which are still ongoing.

I’ve fought you on this before but oh well.

Players St Johnstone have re-signed for a second/third spell in the last decade:

Callum Davidson 11/12: SUCCESS

Cillian Sheridan 11/12: SUCCESS

FBLC 13/14: qualified success

Liam Craig 15/16: SUCCESS

Danny Swanson 15/16: SUCCESS

MOH 17/18: SUCCESS

Swanson 18/19: didn’t work out despite some good moments

MOH 18/19-present: as above

Stevie May 19/20-present: as above

The issue with May and O’Halloran is that we gave them new contracts at the end of last season - bringing them back made sense at the time, as it did with all of the other names above, and as it will when Drey Wright pitches up here by the end of January. Appreciate others might not rate Wright (I don’t think he’s great but I do think he would improve this pretty dreadful squad), but I think “Saints need to stop re-signing old players as it never works!” is the type of thing fans just say despite it not really being true.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Drey Wright was an injury prone nothing player who'd be one of our highest earners, you'd think we'd learn after the MOH/May sagas, which are still ongoing.

I'll be honest and say that I was one of those that was just a wee bit disappointed to see him leave. I don't think he quite had enough game time after his big injury for us, there's some sort of player in there that's probably a better offensive option than Rooney but maybe a bit more dodgy defensively? No idea. 

He did bring a bit of pace and excitement. Can't remember the game but the audacious flick over the defender's head to chase down into about 20 yards of space was fantastic, as was the whipped near-post cross against Livi at the end of the season. But he did go through games as a shadow a lot of the time. 

Obviously I've absolutely no idea how much he was paid. And for a (fairly) luxury player probably not worth breaking the bank.  Have the feeling that CD thinks of wing backs as extra defenders first and attacking wide threats second, so don't think a Drey Wright type player is what we'll be signing except as an impact sub.

3 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

The issue with May and O’Halloran is that we gave them new contracts at the end of last season - bringing them back made sense at the time, as it did with all of the other names above, and as it will when Drey Wright pitches up here by the end of January. Appreciate others might not rate Wright (I don’t think he’s great but I do think he would improve this pretty dreadful squad), but I think “Saints need to stop re-signing old players as it never works!” is the type of thing fans just say despite it not really being true.

My issue with re-signing older players comes from the fact they're almost always getting paid far more than they were, are almost always only joining because they've been utter failures elsewhere, and are almost always only signing because its easy to identify them instead of trying for better.

We know Drey Wright doesn't create or score from wing back. Since then hes left us, doubled his wage, sat on a bench and not played wing back regularly. If he wasn't a former player we would have zero interest in signing him, and definitely wouldn't be chucking a hefty wage his way. Let St Mirren make that mistake or something.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Obviously I've absolutely no idea how much he was paid. 

He was paid a fortune to simply sign for Saints, and much like MOH/May in their latest spells, he was never above average enough to justify that money. Hes since doubled that at Hibs.

As above, I doubt hes even mentioned here if hes not an ex-player. If we want a back up RWB I'd rather see us go for the profile of someone like Corey O'Keeffe. 6ft, played RWB all season, 23, free this Summer from Mansfield. 3 goals and 5 assists from RWB so far this season. Not saying he'd be a success as thats not how this works, but I'd rather see us going for a player like that than handing Drey Wright £100k a year to set up one goal a season before his knees buckle again and hes out for 12 months.

Edited by RandomGuy.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not sure who you think you're arguing with? I agree if he wasn't an ex-player he'd not be mentioned. 

If we persist with the idea of wing-backs, we need players who actually can play on the right in that position. We currently have Rooney (a card-magnet man-child that's a 5/10 defensively and can't really cross a ball that needs a feeder from wide, that we don't have), MOH (had speed as his only weapon a few years ago but now seems to have his legs attached to his body with KT tape) and James Brown (solid but nothing else). 

An issue with the way CD plays is that it needs players that not many other teams play. So we end up playing wingers or full-backs as wing-backs. 

Don't think we can compare Wright with some of the other excellent players we've lost and who have returned. I'm simplifying, but in my admittedly prejudiced memory, the timeline of Drey Wright at Saints was:

1. Was brilliant for a spell.
  2. Got injured; out for a long time
  3. Came back from injury. We waited for him to recapture his form. He didn't.
  4. Signed a PCA for Hibs; was even more pish the remainder of the season; left.
  5. Nobody's missed him since.

I say all this while still thinking it doesn't hugely matter who we buy because I'm not sure individual players are to blame.

If only we could buy a new system in this transfer window.

55 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Don't think we can compare Wright with some of the other excellent players we've lost and who have returned. I'm simplifying, but in my admittedly prejudiced memory, the timeline of Drey Wright at Saints was:

1. Was brilliant for a spell.
  2. Got injured; out for a long time
  3. Came back from injury. We waited for him to recapture his form. He didn't.
  4. Signed a PCA for Hibs; was even more pish the remainder of the season; left.
  5. Nobody's missed him since.

I say all this while still thinking it doesn't hugely matter who we buy because I'm not sure individual players are to blame.

If only we could buy a new system in this transfer window.

You forgot about him being the second highest paid player at the club and wanted a significant pay rise to sign on again bit. All the while producing stats which were laughable for someone on his salary.