Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

When does Crawfords Current loan end? Surely there will be an announcement one way or another then 

Transfermarkt claim its the end of January.

12 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Interesting to see Nicholson getting called on out Twitter and responding with claims that he thinks he's being critical in his recent articles

Feels to me like he’s being fed a narrative from Davidson to be honest. It’s been annoying me for a while. 

Just now, Kyle said:

Feels to me like he’s being fed a narrative from Davidson to be honest. It’s been annoying me for a while. 

In some ways I do understand it, I guess he has to maintain some kind of peace to keep getting access and it won't be a good look if a local paper is just doom central.

But he does seem to be far too fixed on the past rather than the very immediate future. I saw his report card thing saying it's not all bad because we drew with LASK and Galatasaray - both great performances and occasions for the fans, but what does that really mean if we go down, while also just sucking all of the enthusiasm from the club, probably spending the McCann and Kerr money on covering losses caused by relegation rather than building and not having a squad that's going to do well in the Championship either?

We've been utterly awful to watch, In some ways my head goes to a place where I just want to enjoy watching Saints again, so I'm almost willing to accept relegation and a reset rather than having this "style" every year

Looks like the ISL season finishes soon,so Greg Stewart would be available,better than we’ve got going forward maybe lacks defensive duties a bit

Not bad shout if he's still producing, not seen him for a while though so couldn't say.

This window has got f**k all to do with signing players for the long term, focussing on young players or folk with potential .. that's what last summer should have been, and what next summer needs to be.

January is about doing everything we can to stay up. If it means overpaying half a dozen mercenaries who are only here to put themselves in the shop window, but contribute to turning our form round and keeping us up, then it's worth it.

Do we really think signing over 30s on big money for 5 months will save us? Why would they care if they take us down if they’re just leaving the club in a few months anyway, after collecting a big salary? They’ll just go to their next contract without a second thought. 

I get the argument but we really need to look longer term too, and not just sign players to keep us ticking over until Davidson gets his move to England. 

12 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Do we really think signing over 30s on big money for 5 months will save us? Why would they care if they take us down if they’re just leaving the club in a few months anyway, after collecting a big salary? They’ll just go to their next contract without a second thought. 

I get the argument but we really need to look longer term too, and not just sign players to keep us ticking over until Davidson gets his move to England. 

Everything’s a gamble Kyle. I feel we need players who are proven. James Dunne type for 5 months.  Signing younger players from a lower level or the likes of under 21s from English premiership clubs might work, but more often than not they end up on the periphery. And is a relegation scrap the place to bed them in?

If there’s good quality players in their mid 20’s available then great let’s do it. The Cleary signing sounds a very positive one on paper. But my worry is we’re so desperate we end up dishing out great contracts to players who aren’t up to it, to be seen to be doing something.  Like Ali Crawford.  And are stuck with them for the next 2-3 years.

I’m basically saying just sign any players who will do a job right now, regardless of age/ potential/ long term impact.

33 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

We've been utterly awful to watch, In some ways my head goes to a place where I just want to enjoy watching Saints again, so I'm almost willing to accept relegation and a reset rather than having this "style" every year

Agree about the level of entertainment, but I really don’t want to go down to find it.

Something will need to change in the way we play for me next season (I’ll accept any shite with good results for the remainder of this one).  If we stay up but look likely to persevere with murderball, I don’t think I’ll renew my season ticket.

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

I get what you're saying but I fear it would be more like the awful Arbroath match from earlier this season every single weekend rather than watching us showboat the league/

3 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Someone help yer man @Kyle. Eric Nicholson is swatting him away with absolute ease on Twitter despite the fact that he's right to be getting called out for his love in with Davidson.

Not much I can do when he just reflects anything I say back on the board. He’s making a very black and white argument, and there’s a lot more grey than he’s letting on. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're not alone.

Some of them seem aware that they can get away with hiding in attack as long as they chase a couple of hopeless balls a few times a match 

Hard to criticise the players for playing like that when if they don't they get absolutely slaughtered in the media by their manager for having the audacity to try to 'flick a ball round a defender'.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Not bad shout if he's still producing, not seen him for a while though so couldn't say.

This window has got f**k all to do with signing players for the long term, focussing on young players or folk with potential .. that's what last summer should have been, and what next summer needs to be.

January is about doing everything we can to stay up. If it means overpaying half a dozen mercenaries who are only here to put themselves in the shop window, but contribute to turning our form round and keeping us up, then it's worth it.

Absolutely this.  We just need to do whatever is required to stay up.  Then we can worry about next season. 

1 minute ago, Broon_100 said:

Hard to criticise the players for playing like that when if they don't they get absolutely slaughtered in the media by their manager for having the audacity to try to 'flick a ball round a defender'.

Except they don't.   One does 

3 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Someone help yer man @Kyle. Eric Nicholson is swatting him away with absolute ease on Twitter despite the fact that he's right to be getting called out for his love in with Davidson.

Thought Nicholson's brief judgement on Davidson - he's a 'young manager learning on the job' - was tone-deaf. That's 18 months Callum's been in charge. His coaching experience at the club stretches back to 2013, with stints at two English Championship clubs and the Scotland national team. McPake at Dundee has been coaching since, what, 2018? Davidson's easily got longer and more extensive coaching experience than Goodwin or Martindale.

Edited by Mr Heliums