Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

To start with a positive. Ross County had 13 points (and, incredibly, had scored a goal less than us) after 20 games last season and stayed up by reaching 39 points.

The lowest total to definitely avoid 11th spot since they introduced the split is 33 points, the average is more like 36 points. I think for the time being, that modest target would be a good one for Saints. 

That would mean 22 points from 18 games. About a quarter of games are drawn, we average slightly more than that as a top division team, so allow for 5 draws. That would then be 6 wins and 7 defeats to take us past that mark (37 points). 

8 home games left and 10 away most likely.

Home: Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Rangers, Motherwell, Livingston. Plus 2 post-split, likely Ross County and St Mirren. 

Away: Hearts, Aberdeen, Livingston, St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs, Celtic. Plus 3 post-split, likely to include Dundee and Livingston. 

Find your 6 wins there. 

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

And yet still persist in doing the same things expecting different results.

That's the biggest thing, isn't it. That we are eight defeats in a row and he's not tried to change anything. 

We keep saying January will be massive but it's also intriguing. Can he really just keep banging the same drum when it's long since burst. 

Obviously no idea if we will stay up or go down but I can't even work out if we'll make a proper go of it or not. 

8 minutes ago, Radford said:

That's the biggest thing, isn't it. That we are eight defeats in a row and he's not tried to change anything. 

We keep saying January will be massive but it's also intriguing. Can he really just keep banging the same drum when it's long since burst. 

Obviously no idea if we will stay up or go down but I can't even work out if we'll make a proper go of it or not. 

I think that's why even the most ardent of Saints fans are doubting Davidsons abilities. 

2 hours ago, Radford said:

To start with a positive. Ross County had 13 points (and, incredibly, had scored a goal less than us) after 20 games last season and stayed up by reaching 39 points.

The lowest total to definitely avoid 11th spot since they introduced the split is 33 points, the average is more like 36 points. I think for the time being, that modest target would be a good one for Saints. 

That would mean 22 points from 18 games. About a quarter of games are drawn, we average slightly more than that as a top division team, so allow for 5 draws. That would then be 6 wins and 7 defeats to take us past that mark (37 points). 

8 home games left and 10 away most likely.

Home: Dundee, Dundee Utd, Hearts, Rangers, Motherwell, Livingston. Plus 2 post-split, likely Ross County and St Mirren. 

Away: Hearts, Aberdeen, Livingston, St Mirren, Ross County, Hibs, Celtic. Plus 3 post-split, likely to include Dundee and Livingston. 

Find your 6 wins there. 

Doesn't look that difficult when you put it like that...

I try to remain optimistic as I just can’t accept this is it, this absolute turgid incompetent spineless performance level we are producing is the way a glorious period in our history ends, in a season which started with such excitement and positivity.

It’s hard to see where the improvement will come from. We have looked second best by a long way in every match we’ve played for months. In a league where the bulk of teams regularly cancel each out, that’s quite a feat.

We should be miles adrift with the way the season has gone in all honesty.  But one win takes us above Dundee, a second takes us above County, st Mirren and Livi as well.  Utd are also in dreadful form.

We’ve also benefitted from the break being brought forward, giving us an extra 2 matches with a re-shaped team.  We have money in the bank, and over 3 weeks to work on shaping the team, re-setting the mentality and bedding in any new signings.  We’ve also played both OF clubs twice, whereas some of those around us will have one more game against one of them.

There is no real excuse for not turning this around.  It is completely in our own hands. Need to discover a lot more fight, defensive organisation and be able to create and score chances. There’s just under half the season still to play.

Davidson has had a poor season, but he’s got a chance to step back, take stock and assess what he’s doing wrong out of the limelight and without pressure.

Many of our players have completely lost form, but they can just as easily re-discover it. 

25 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Hearing you're in for Craig Wighton at Dunfermline and they want to take Cummings off us on loan to replace him.

I take it when you say "hearing", you mean "reading" it from someone on the Dunfermline thread?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I take it when you say "hearing", you mean "reading" it from someone on the Dunfermline thread?

You take it wrong. I had no idea it had been mentioned on the Dunfermline thread tbh.

14 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This is worrying then.

Could be nonsense. I'm not claiming to be ITK. But I suppose it being spoken of in the Dunfermline thread does add a tiny wee bit of credence.

We're spending six figures on MacPherson, Crawford, and Wighton, aren't we?

Crawford frustratingly will be one.

Macphersons injuries will proper cost him a contract. Thank f**k for that.

Wighton worries me though, if that’s the Calibre of player we’re wanting then we’ve written off the second half of the season and are willing to spend at least one year in the championship. That would be unforgivable.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Could be nonsense. I'm not claiming to be ITK. But I suppose it being spoken of in the Dunfermline thread does add a tiny wee bit of credence.

Aye it worries me when stories pop up separately tbh.

Initial feeling on Wighton isn't great tbh, but I've not followed him at Dunfermline at all. Feels very much like hes in the "could add something at this level, but won't be disastrous financially, and won't demand to leave, if we get relegated" bracket.

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Crawford frustratingly will be one.

Macphersons injuries will proper cost him a contract. Thank f**k for that.

Wighton worries me though, if that’s the Calibre of player we’re wanting then we’ve written off the second half of the season and are willing to spend at least one year in the championship. That would be unforgivable.

I'd be amazed if MacPherson and Crawford aren't offered permanent deals.

As above, no idea how Wighton has done at Dunfermline, but doesn't feel like one thats going to turn our season around. Feels like hes yet another player who'll be playing off a front man. I'd speculate if hes coming in then it confirms Vertainen is away.

Edited by RandomGuy.