Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

One thing I thought watching that second half when 2-0 down yesterday, which I never thought I’d say, and which will not meet with much agreement..

I thought we should have brought on Ali Crawford.  I couldn’t believe Davidson didn’t take that option with how keen he has been to pick him so far.

I don’t rate him as a centre midfielder at all, and I don’t like him starting generally, but I did think watching the game that off our bench he was the one player who could drive forward with the ball at his feet and pull opponents out of position when they closed him down. We were chasing the game at the time and it was all but lost.

The other three centre midfielders are passers, and play broke down nearly every time it went to one of our front three, so it all felt very comfortable for motherwell.
Their strikers and midfielders seemed to press up onto our defenders more when we had the ball after HT, but there looked a big gap between their midfield and defence.  It looked like Alexander had made his mind up that our forwards couldn’t hurt them, and he was happy to leave the defence to handle the three of them.

Can’t remember any of our players dribbling past an opponent, or an incisive pass that takes an opponent out of the game (apart from the one that played to May to create Booth’s chance), or a 1-2. Our forward play was (is) too static and predictable.

I haven’t watched the game back, and hopefully I will never have to, but that was how it felt at the time.  Crawford isn’t a player I’d generally turn to, but the manager has to react to what’s happening at the time.

It seems fairly evident that the league has collectively figured out how to play against us. It’s upto us to quickly work out a way of overcoming that. 

22 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Is Eric Nicholson pumping CD? He’ll blame absolutely anyone except Callum for what’s going on! 

I'd certainly be intrigued to know what the basis was for his claims this morning. As a collective, of course there is responsibility but the way it was worded, it pretty much said everything rests on Grieve and Boyd doing their job but kind of absolving Davidson. 

Did Scott Boyd fail to get deals done in the summer for players the manager wanted? Not that we know of. 

Can Stevie Grieve go and sign players? Unlikely. There was a description of the situation at Mansfield from @steviemay17 the other day that sounded far more plausible to me.

Davidson either needs to trust the hours, days and weeks that his HoR will have put into sourcing players, OR needs to make sure that the bloke his mate Gary signed four years ago is bloody good if he's prepared to overlook all that.

We've not had a game replay uploaded to Saints TV for a month now, if we don't get one by the end of December then I'm cancelling. Saints are just a farce all over just now.

Theres very little surprise than Nicolson, and probably Robert Thomson, are blindly backing the manager. Both need to get interviews after all, so coming out and saying the manager should stay in his lane before he sinks us probably hinders that.

We'll get relegated and they'll be commenting on every tweet telling folk that Saints always succeed because we're patient and it'll all come good.

1 hour ago, mizfit said:

“We want to sign players who’ll really improve the squad.”

I’d fucking hope that’s the case.

Progress at least, given some of the diddies we signed in the summer. Hopefully means Ali Crawford will be punted back whence he came. 

36 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Progress at least, given some of the diddies we signed in the summer. Hopefully means Ali Crawford will be punted back whence he came. 

Ah see Crawford is filed under "shite but I know he'll carry out my defensive instructions without question" and that's probably worth a two-year deal in CD's book

29 minutes ago, Costanza said:

The fatalistic side of me thinks they'll play the games tomorrow then call the season as everyone will have played 19 games. Which makes it an actual must win game.........

27 games to be played or null and void,although winning would be an advantage