Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

58 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

There's 2 I've heard that haven't played with or for Rowett, one that has connections to Davidson before though.

That's the end of this conversation so don't PM me, thanks.

*shrugs*

I await with interest who joins.

Probably a key factor in this formation discussion for me is the issue raised about the actual personnel, which kind of dawned on me in the match thread when looking at the options. 

One up front, a partnership, three, wingers, tens... 

You are still picking from May (can't play lone striker), O'Halloran (can only really understand wide in a midfield four), Solomon-Otabor (probably wishes he'd never heard of St Johnstone), Middleton (strong words but an absolute shitebag) and Crawford (a number ten, with little defensive responsibility, or nothing?) and how do you mould that into something for Wednesday? 

If Kane or Vertainen were fit then I would have gone 4-4-2 with O'Halloran and Solomon-Otabor as wingers and two from the three forwards but as it is? I'd almost suggest Jordan Northcott... 

The manager needs to be ruthless in January and he should be feeling under pressure from above to be so. 

Genuinely considered Shaun Rooney up front is our best option for a second there.
What a mess.

Not the worst shout in the world tbh. Tell him to hang around the middle of the box with May doing his shitty dropping deep nonsense to feed the wingers and we might actually score a goal.

8 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Not the worst shout in the world tbh. Tell him to hang around the middle of the box with May doing his shitty dropping deep nonsense to feed the wingers and we might actually score a goal.

Its wild its come to that tbh. There was/is zero justification for not signing a striker to replace/compete with Kane this Summer.

40 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

How very non 1980s...

At least we're still holders of one and have moved on, some teams just cling to success decades ago. Not us though, we're better than that, probably because we know another's coming around soon enough.

What's the B&Q cup called nowadays?

Right now it looks like 4 players may not be enough.

Honestly it's easier to say who you may keep......and some of them are only making their way in as squad players only......and two may be away in Jan.....

Off the top of my head

Clark

Gordon

Mccart

Brown

Devine

Booth

Rooney

E2

Kane

I don't rate Brown at all tbh. He's definitely not a RWB, and he doesn't offer enough in attack to be the rampaging RCB we need. Maybe fine as a RB with a really attacking winger in front of him I guess.

He seems to get by simply by not being a standout shit player at any point. 

With the idea that Clark, McCart and Rooney are all off, I'd say we need to rebuild the entire defence, midfield, and attack, in the next 2 windows. Liam Gordon literally the only player, besides Wotherspoon, left if you remove those three who I'd happily see starting every week.

5 hours ago, derek_holmes said:

Liverpool-style 4-3-3 for me:

Clark; Rooney, Gordon, McCart, Devine; Bryson, Davidson, Butterfield; Middleton, May, Viv

Not sure who the Salah is, mind.

Literally was going to name the same team , both full backs can get up and down the park as well

We'd be a really shit version of Liverpool considering all our CMs are 30+, one can't pass forward, the two wingers can't link play and the strikers never in the box.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its wild its come to that tbh. There was/is zero justification for not signing a striker to replace/compete with Kane this Summer.

This feels like what we did in the summer. We needed a CB, panicked and signed Sean Kelly to play there despite being a LB. Signed Panayiotou for no reason and then realised Tom Parkes isn't the best at CB. We have two centre backs who are reliable, if one of those get an injury I've got serious fear we wont win a game without them.

I think we passed up on Popescu and signed Omeonga on £350 per week instead. Not a clue how we managed to get him in so cheaply on a 2 year deal considering he was on 12k per week in Italy

Edited by ATLIS

I'm sure I saw a second, separate set of comments from CD earlier where again he is keen to stress that this is not a tactical problem, but not sure if he's specifically being asked about his tactics or if he's fully aware but is stubbornly trying to prove himself right.

1 hour ago, steviemay17 said:

I'm sure I saw a second, separate set of comments from CD earlier where again he is keen to stress that this is not a tactical problem, but not sure if he's specifically being asked about his tactics or if he's fully aware but is stubbornly trying to prove himself right.

My reading of the comments earlier were that he didn’t think Motherwell’s goals came from beating us tactically - ie it wasn’t a flowing passing move or overwhelming us with an overload down a wing or something that got the ball in the net, which is probably fair enough. But I don’t think our tactics really helped us at the other end one little bit.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

My reading of the comments earlier were that he didn’t think Motherwell’s goals came from beating us tactically - ie it wasn’t a flowing passing move or overwhelming us with an overload down a wing or something that got the ball in the net, which is probably fair enough. But I don’t think our tactics really helped us at the other end one little bit.

I didn’t see the full game but from the highlights McCart has had an absolute shocker. First goal he just heads the ball right to the Motherwell player under zero pressure and the second gets turned inside out by their striker. He’s having a terrible season overall.

22 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

I'm glad for Davidson that we are not getting beaten tactically.  Personally I would prefer us not to be beaten by goals scored by the opposition..

Was a good laugh yesterday when we changed to a 4-3-3, we somehow managed to be even poorer. The quality of crosses this season has really alarmed me, not helped by nobody being in the box in the first place. Yesterday we looked a team devoid of any confidence whatsoever and to me, that’s extremely worrying. Leaking cheap goals whilst not threatening one bit is a deadly combination.