Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I'm usually quite an optimistic/cocky Saints supporter, but I'll now concede that we are definitely heading for relegation unless something major happens in the January transfer window.

Almost exactly where I am. Beginning to feel the “something major” might have to be in the managerial department however.

It’s not working, we’re the worst team in the league, he needs to realise this and fix it or we’ll go down. Even our defence, clearly the best part of the team, was poor today and can’t be relied on to dig out points while poor forwards in a poor system create nothing.

I’ve said before I don’t want us to sack the manager unless it’s completely necessary but we’re moving toward the moment where it’s either system change or regime change. Callum’s comments about Vertainen and what it hints at in terms of friction with the HoR is very worrying IMO. The manager is going to have to change the way he works, in recruitment, working with other staff, and this dreadful system which this season hamstrings us in all games minus those v the old firm, or the board is going to have to change the manager. Wednesday obviously huge for our short term survival but sneaking a win against a poor (but still better than us!) Ross County won’t change the fact this has been an unacceptable season.

What an absolute waste of all the momentum, new fans and other opportunities given to us by the cup wins.

Eight times we've conceded first this season, eight times we've failed to score in reply
That's why Davidson has to go, his plan A isn't right for the team and restricts them, and he's got nothing beyond that either
I don't think it's time for him to go - deserves January and some time after at least - but your first point is our massive concern at the moment. Being "difficult to beat" is one thing but if defending well is your only shtick it becomes very easy to play against.

We've played seven players in the attacking three positions in the last three games. At no point, we've looked dangerous. Suddenly there is only three midfielders you'd feel comfortable starting. Back 5 weren't great today but cannot just hope they get the side out of trouble every week.

22 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Eight times we've conceded first this season, eight times we've failed to score in reply

That's why Davidson has to go, his plan A isn't right for the team and restricts them, and he's got nothing beyond that either

It's even worse when he's checking P&B to see what he needs to do to change it and waits 10 fucking minutes and another goal before he does it. We need attacking impetus, May and Kane aren't it. I'm in the Main stand during the week and I'll let frodo know exactly how I feel if he tries the same repetitive shite. It's not on.

23 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I'm fairly sure we've not come back to win a game in 90 mins since January. Its a long running theme.

The formation is bad enough but it did us well enough in the cups last year. 

The real problem in my mind is the team selections, both at the start of matches and even more so as they progress. 

Booth, Brown and Craig are Championship level. May and Bryson were both good footballers but are both trapped in retired footballers bodies. Kane and O'Halloran are both good at one thing each. Middleton doesn't want to be here. No more needs said on Crawford and Macpherson, the latter of whom spent today's ame interacting with covid-sceptic bullshit on twitter. 

Between them they are all on the pitch far too much, and all on far too long deals, even the ones soon to expire. 

Including Bryson a little harsh but he was s really poor today along with nearly everyone else. 

We need to see more of Devine, Viv, Butterfield, and of course, Vertainen. I'd add Muller too although he doesn't help me with that when playing. 

Muller and Devine may prove to be not great, but so many attacks die at Booth's feet even if he turns keeps the ball but turns back. Viv looked absolutely sick of him today, although he needs to improve too. Booth does get up and down a lot too, to be fair. 

As others have said. Vertainen may give the ball away all the time due to trying to play park football, but it can't be worse than this 

If hes to come back it shouldn't be beyond the Summer. It was time for everyone to move on when he left and I can't see any benefit, beyond the major one that he likely keeps us up, of bringing him back.

If hes to come back it shouldn't be beyond the Summer. It was time for everyone to move on when he left and I can't see any benefit, beyond the major one that he likely keeps us up, of bringing him back.

He won’t be back for the reason you’ve said. It was time for everyone to move on and there’s nothing wrong with that.

He’ll be away back to Northern Ireland and I’ll be very surprised if he turns up at another Scottish club.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

that he likely keeps us up,

Killie thought that last year.

Another concerning Davidson post-match interview when he one the one hand says he takes responsibility, on the other says that tactically we were fine.

3 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Well there's Davidson's version of "taking it on the chin" as he said

"Tactically no problems"

Just f*ck off

Aye, I had some hope he’d see the issues finally, but if he think tactically we’re fine, then we’re up shit creek now.