Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

11 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Probably the same as half our fans.

"Its worked out fine before"

Nail on head. The club and fans all thought that given we had a top 6 and double cup winning side, even to lose a couple of players wouldn't make a huge difference, but it has. Not only have we lost two very influential players, but we have replaced them with both inferior quality players and ones who don't have anywhere near the hunger or desire that has been in the squad for over a decade now.

Big blow to lose so late in the window, but we all knew someone would go, so why did we not sign perminant players on that basis. If they didn't go in the Summer, they'd have been away in January.

The team really needs to have the players signed at the start of this next window and not do the usual late deals to save a few quid. Loan deals should be a no no unless they are proven and no out of contract players that take months to get fit.

We are not in a terrible position in the league (I.e cut adrift) but the run we are on is very concerning. Under Wright we had similar, but we had the history of a manager who found a way to turn it around. This next period is when we see just how good a manager Davidson will be. Much harder to turn around a failing team and also admit where maybe he has got some things wrong. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

I know it is unlikely, but do we think Steve Brown could follow on from his dad and make a Billy Dodds esque signing from a rival to try and get the much needed goals? We have the finances.....

We could throw some money at it and try and get Brophy or Charles-Cook for example. Not that they'd likely come to saints mind you.....

The Ballantyne one is interesting, and I always fear I'm one step from just joining the FB "banter" page and demanding Craig Thomson get a run of games when it comes to forcing young players into the team.

But You have to wonder how we actually benefit from keeping Crawford over him in Janaury. Crawford is a nice footballer if he's given time and space, but ultimately that's rare in this league, plus as soon as any remaining pace leaves him then he's finished at this level. Also take into account that he's 30 years old and has a big history of injuries, it's safe to assume if we do sigh him to a two-year deal then we're certainly not selling him for a fee at any point, and he'll be on a decent first-team wage.

Ballantyne might never be good enough, but I can't see him as being any worse, he's cheaper, he's a youth player so he'll automatically get more goodwill from the crowd and generate positive feeling. Worst case scenario he's just a cheaper version of Crawford and he leaves for nothing and we're in the same position with having to replace him with no fee incoming, but he could blossom, be another promising player we've produced and bulletproof can sell him for 20k and 400% of the next transfer fee providing he's sold to a club outwith the planet Earth.

19 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I know it is unlikely, but do we think Steve Brown could follow on from his dad and make a Billy Dodds esque signing from a rival to try and get the much needed goals? We have the finances.....

We could throw some money at it and try and get Brophy or Charles-Cook for example. Not that they'd likely come to saints mind you.....

No chance whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Brophy? Charles Cooke? Holy f**k.

Not advocating we sign them. More making the comparison that we signed the top scorer from a relegation rival.

I don't think we will for a second, but in a way, we are currently in a similar position now to then. OK squad, but lacking goals.

At the time, signing Dodds was a massive bold statement, which ultimately didn't work.

If we sit with millions in the bank and still arguably the core of the best squad we have ever had and get relegated by not spending some, then it would be a huge failure of Brown's not to take a bit of a risk.

Right now, there isn't the kind of player kicking about in the same mould of Dodds for us to go after, I.e a proven goalscorer who even if we got relegated, we knew we could likely get our money back. In reality, we doubled what we spent. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

21 minutes ago, Meesterrodriguez said:

There was a load more money kicking about Scottish football then though. Just a totally different world really.

Thing is, I actually don't think there was. It was in part because players wages were lower than they are now, relative and that allowed some of the cash that now goes on wages to go on fees.

For example, you paid £165,000 for John Davies and pay him £500 a week for 3 years, the total cost is the same as if you sign a player on a free now and pay him £1,500 a week for 3 years.

Added to that, you knew that at the end of the contract, if they player was young enough, there would still be a value to the club if the player moved on. Upsides then were that the cash trickled down the clubs to the lower leagues and now it proportionately goes more to players pockets.

Anyhow, not that we will spend any meaningful fee, but if we did, we'd get a lot more for it now than we'd get back then.

Edited by Theyellowbox

13 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Can anybody recall the last time a substitution was made and it was booed? Been racking my brains after the reaction to Eetu being taken off last night and can’t seem to think

Danny Swanson at QOS? That was for the other way though as was possibly the worst debut I have even seen. Came good in the end though. 

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Can anybody recall the last time a substitution was made and it was booed? Been racking my brains after the reaction to Eetu being taken off last night and can’t seem to think

This is it, Callum had the option of going for a draw or win and shat the bed. Folk are seeing right through the bullshite, he had the chance to remove a midfielder(my choice personally would be out of Crawford or McPherson, or a defender and go to a 4)and put on another forward thinking player in Viv. Viv and MOH putting balls into Kane and E2, as well as whichever was on the other side at least puts Dundee under some sort of pressure. What we are witnessing is Shitebag management, scared of actually going forward and leaving the odd gap. The odd gap that Liam will mop up anyway. What input does Macca actually have? Never had him down as a shitebag but it now seems like it.

2 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

Thing is, I actually don't think there was. It was in part because players wages were lower than they are now, relative and that allowed some of the cash that now goes on wages to go on fees.

It was comparable money-wise, which is crazy considering this was pre SPL and how much we're now in the thrall of sponsorship and TV money and that ticket prices are now twice as expensive in real terms. We had a turnover of £2.6 million in 1995 - equivalent to about £5m today,  so broadly in line with recent figures. But the successful 1998 era saw a turnover of £4.6m, equivalent to more than £10m in 2020. (We didn't match that turnover, even in absolute terms, until 2014.)

What's indisputable is that we now have bigger squads and a huge backroom team. Back in the early nineties it seemed to be pretty much Alex Totten, Bert Paton, and a part-time physio Jim Peacock.

Edited by Mr Heliums

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Youd even be an upgrade on that useless c**t. What I'm looking for is either a young Thierry Henry or an ageing Thierry Henry. 

In fact THE Thierry Henry would suffice atm.

I’ll pass on Thierry Henry thanks. Rather somebody who can press!