Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Know you're not a massive fan of some of it, but underlying figures in the past few seasons have pointed to a side performing well but not getting results, and eventually results caught up and we moved up the table.

This season they have us as one of the worst in the division.

That’s fairly telling then 

17 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That’s fairly telling then 

Aye, its literally just the fact we don't get humped often thats keeping us off the bottom tbh.

I get us scoring 11 goals from open play in 27 home games now under Davidson, in the league. 3 of those came in one game against Dundee. Next week v County we need to see a real attempt at getting goals, as this continue if we want to move up the league.

One of my big concerns is that we’re getting not much going forward out of Rooney this season - and quite often it looks like he’s not keen on running at his full back or going beyond them. Which almost makes it look like he’s been told not to because you’d think that’s his natural instinct. A real lack of attacking intent combined with pretty much all of our attacking players being either injured or massively out of form is a disastrous combination. A change has to come and now is the time.

1 hour ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

One of my big concerns is that we’re getting not much going forward out of Rooney this season - and quite often it looks like he’s not keen on running at his full back or going beyond them. Which almost makes it look like he’s been told not to because you’d think that’s his natural instinct. A real lack of attacking intent combined with pretty much all of our attacking players being either injured or massively out of form is a disastrous combination. A change has to come and now is the time.

This is one of the main things I've been trying to figure out, is it a total lack of confidence, on CD for just being uber-defensively focussed and restricting the players or something else? Obviously a different level but I remember something about Louis van Gaal at Man United and players moaning that he was just so rigid in his instructions and defensive drilling that it just took over and they didn't know how to attack once the basic plan was figured out by the opposition.

That would make sense from that Livi game at home where literally all we had was a giant switch out to MOH, and when that didn't work, we just kept trying it over and over. Something needs to change in the manager's methods to free us up going forward, but the interview he gave last night where he somehow thought Hibs didn't deserve to win makes me fear he'll stick to it even more rigidly than ever.

In some ways I won't even be surprised if we shitfest a couple of 1-0s over Dundee and County, we might even end up in the top six conversation on paper at xmas if we get lucky, but it can't go on like this either way

That was a performance of a team that are doomed. Even before the red card we seemed to be playing like we had ten men, but when Bryson went out seemed like we had eight. I could understand a backs to the wall situation if playing a really good team but, although better than us, Hibs are not that good.

Forget the strikers, our main issue is the lack of creativity and service to those up front. Until we find an answer to that, our procession  ineffectual forwards will grow ever longer.

Every game we are getting swamped in the middle of the park.

Full backs no where near as advanced as last season and not having Kerr stepping out of the back 3 to add another body in the middle.

2 central midfielders sitting so deep and almost on top of a back 5.

It is just a complete mess this season and looks like a rigid back 5 with 2 holding midfielders and 3 others to just run about and press from the front.

Manager is going to need to be brave and change it or there will be a good chance we will be bottom by this time next week.

I thinknit is a drop in quality esp loosing McCann coupled with teams figuring our system out that has led to the decline. That in turn has led to a drop in the players confidence.

I do think that Davidsons tactics seem to rigid. Once it's clear who our starting 11 is, must be pretty straight forward for other teams to adjust, but we don't do that ourselves.

If we want to avoid a slide into relegation places, we need to right this quickly and get through to January and get some proper signings in. Loan deals, PCA's and free agents won't cut it. 

I'm torn on the whole creativity thing, we certainly do lack it, but I still maintain they don't have anything to hit in front of them.

Chris Kane can hunt down a loose pass or tries to win things in the air, but he actively hides when we break forward and drops into a position between a defender and a midfielder, Stevie May always wants to drop short, I'm not seen enough of Eetu but he looks like a similar kind of player, Wotherspoon isn't one to break in behind, neither is MOH who always wants it to feet. Middleton is the only one I've seen occasionally try to make a run between a full back and a centre back, but I've said it multiple times before, we're so easy to play against, just press us high with a high line and there's no way we'll get in behind, the only tactic we have is Kane trying to win free kicks at the half way line and then pumping a long ball into the box.

We could have a midfield of Pirlo, Guti and Riquelme in their prime, they still would still struggle with the absolute refusal of any forward to find space or run in behind

Max starts for Brechin tonight, on BBC Scotland, for anyone interested in watching our next wunderkid.

Wait until brown sells him to Hearts for £75k and a loan of their back up goalkeeper in the summer.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You heard that too? Ffs there must be something in it.

It's okay, he can release another statement saying "in time, I'm confident this will be a good deal for us" with a small print of providing he wins the Ballon D'or and Hearts sell him for £10m

11 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Wait until brown sells him to Hearts for £75k and a loan of their back up goalkeeper in the summer.

£75k up front for a 19yo who's never played above Highland League level wouldn't be that bad of a deal, tbf.