Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

9 minutes ago, akuram said:

Our lack of any goal threat has ruined our season so far and it is all due to our lack of investment in the striking department. With our cup money etc there is no excuse for it.

All our new season ticket holders must be scunnered I know I am.

Lack of investment anywhere, at least in quality.

Absolute scenes when we lose the playoff to Arbroath.

28 minutes ago, akuram said:

Our lack of any goal threat has ruined our season so far and it is all due to our lack of investment in the striking department. With our cup money etc there is no excuse for it.

Yous have thought that bulletproof might have learned something. Guess not.

I love how whenever saints are playing poorly, it always comes back to Steve Brown. Not gonna lie, on the evidence so far I’m not sure I’d trust Davidson with a budget! 

35 minutes ago, akuram said:

Whilst I agree fully with this, a midfield without McCann is my main concern. We've got an aging Muzz, Liam and Bryson, along with 2 wasted shirts in Crawford and McPherson. We need at least 2 mobile, combative and/or creative new players in there or we're in real trouble. 

4 minutes ago, Widge said:

I love how whenever saints are playing poorly, it always comes back to Steve Brown. Not gonna lie, on the evidence so far I’m not sure I’d trust Davidson with a budget! 

Bear in mind, we are supposed to have a recruitment manager, however interesting to see that the new forward was Callum’s contacts and no praise given to him for it

1 minute ago, NYD1997 said:

Bear in mind, we are supposed to have a recruitment manager, however interesting to see that the new forward was Callum’s contacts and no praise given to him for it

The forward is a stop-gap until Christmas, nothing more.

On 15/09/2020 at 08:42, RandomGuy. said:

Tbf Craig needs replaced soon anyway.

Age of our midfield is a huge worry. The only on under 30 is McCann, who won't be here long.

Some of us have been mewling about the midfield for years.

Honestly can't believe the lack of effort thats previously gone into rebuilding that area of the park. Even TW was just chucking loans (Butcher/Holt) at the problem. We're now at the stage where its a massive problem needing fixed immediately despite the fact the club had the " buffer" of Craig/Davidson in there for years to allow a rebuild. Same with CB, this time last season we had the safety of Kerr/Gordon/McCart while we sourced and signed replacements, instead we wasted time and now need to pray a January signing can step up, and then that we can find a McCart replacement in the Summer.

Even though we were 1-0 up at half time, I hadn’t seen much to get excited about. No urgency and a lack of basic ability. As soon as Bryson was stupid enough to get sent off, the writing was on the wall. Spent the entire second half anticipating the inevitable Hibs equaliser and winner.

Eetu looked quite languid and classy during his brief spell, but very much seemed to be an attacking midfielder playing out of position as the focal striker. I don’t think he’s capable of that. Doesn’t have the intensity required. Viv looked like someone who could potentially play in any advanced position. Just a tiny showcase of his abilities obviously, but I like the cut of his jib.

McCann covered up a multitude of sins in our midfield and as I said on Twitter he is a once in a generation talent who will be almost impossible to replace. Would rather have taken a chance on Cammy Ballantine than waste time on McPherson who quite honestly would struggle to get a game in the local amateur league.
We have 5 loan signings and I’d only keep Dendonker. Could make a case for Devine and Crawford as backups but that’s a stretch although maybe harsh on Devine.
Big transfer window coming up as we need permanent signings of a good age rather than the short-term loans or aging pro signings that we have endured over the last wee while.

6 minutes ago, johnoswald2712 said:

McCann covered up a multitude of sins in our midfield and as I said on Twitter he is a once in a generation talent who will be almost impossible to replace. Would rather have taken a chance on Cammy Ballantine than waste time on McPherson who quite honestly would struggle to get a game in the local amateur league.
We have 5 loan signings and I’d only keep Dendonker. Could make a case for Devine and Crawford as backups but that’s a stretch although maybe harsh on Devine.
Big transfer window coming up as we need permanent signings of a good age rather than the short-term loans or aging pro signings that we have endured over the last wee while.

Excellent, good to see special agent McPherson is doing his best to send the farmers doon.

It is alarming that our most dynamic midfielder is a 35-year-old who has not had his injury problems to seek. Davidson is the same player he's been for the last few years; good at what he does but never a playmaker. Probably not a promising sign I'd like to see Craig back in.

Repeating myself, but this time last season I was a lot less concerned as the performances weren't matching the results. It's hard to see an easy solution to the current issues until January with the injury issues. Praying that some of the newer arrivals deliver more than they've shown so far or Davidson can change the system to get to point where we're occasionally in games again.

I'd be absolutely delighted for two dreadful 1-0s over Dundee and County now.

Really struggling with Saints right now.  For the first time in over a decade I thought about just watching from the comfort of home rather than going to a home match at McD. I have so little excitement about watching us play.  I went in the end and sat back in my seat thoroughly disengaged from it all.

The refs’ shiteness and backs against the wall nature of the game probably got the crowd far more invested in what was another turgid performance.

We’ll always go through periods of poor results, no issue with that, but the absolute dearth of moments of excitement or chances or decent play or goals to make it worthwhile is soul destroying.

You watch football round up shows from whatever level of league and see a brilliant volley or a great dribble and finish, a fine flowing move etc and it brings it home how devoid of entertainment we really are.  I honestly can’t think of a time we’ve done any of that for ages. MOH goal v Rangers was well taken, and Crawford’s two goals I guess, but other than that…?

Admittedly so many of our attacking players have been in much poorer form than last season; Middleton, Wotherspoon, Rooney and even Kane’s not been quite as good, but there’s nothing on the horizon to improve things.   No exciting youth players on the fringe getting appearances from the bench, no star players to return from injury.

We’re all just hanging out hats on the hope that come January we’re going to produce a miracle rebuild with 4 talented signings that all hit the ground running.  Are we really going to splash out, and even if we do are we able to make the right signings?

This season I am a bit concerned with our trajectory, whereas I usually feel we will be fine and turn things around. Hopefully we do so again.  

But overall, the absolute sapping of enthusiasm within 6 months of our most successful ever season is staggering.  The club have taken a bizarre ‘we should be fine’ approach.

16 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

This season I am a bit concerned with our trajectory, whereas I usually feel we will be fine and turn things around. Hopefully we do so again.  

Know you're not a massive fan of some of it, but underlying figures in the past few seasons have pointed to a side performing well but not getting results, and eventually results caught up and we moved up the table.

This season they have us as one of the worst in the division.