Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I’m not as down on Crawford as others. He shouldn’t play as part of a 2 in midfield or against the old firm as he just isn’t suited to that - he can’t really press, time a tackle or do any of that stuff. But our squad is full of pressing goal virgins. Crawford isn’t amazing but he has some ability in front of goal and I think is pretty good on the ball, can pick a key pass etc. He’s a good option for the 3rd midfielder or 3rd forward in our formations in certain games, and I wouldn’t swap him for another Cammy McPherson or Chris Kane. I think when fans call him an empty shirt or whatever it seems like they’re taken in by the Davidson Ball mentality that a player should be judged by their ability to press. He’s nothing like the wage merchants Gary McDonald or Sean Goss who genuinely did nothing in games while playing in a more pivotal part of the midfield.

Genuinely think he might end up being our top scorer with about six goals too.

15 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

Is that now 1 goal from open play that we've scored in 7 games?

1 open play goal since October 2nd.

After today as many of our goals have been own goals as open play goals...

15 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

What do we think is realistically going to happen in January?

We'll get Cleary and one addition to the forward line who'll be a half-season loan - likely Matty Kennedy or Drey Wright, maybe someone like Mikey Johnston if we're really lucky, and an Izzy Jones type who'll play 20 mins in the cup against a lower league team

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

1 open play goal since October 2nd.

After today as many of our goals have been own goals as open play goals...

You're point about Kane in the other thread is correct but we can clearly see that letting McCann and Kerr go so late was madness.

I understand the financial factors but they were so important to how the team played. The replacements just don't fit. 

Of course.... not changing shape to then accommodate the players that are available is a different argument.

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

You're point about Kane in the other thread is correct but we can clearly see that letting McCann and Kerr go so late was madness.

I understand the financial factors but they were so important to how the team played. The replacements just don't fit. 

Of course.... not changing shape to then accommodate the players that are available is a different argument.

I'm almost certain the manager picked Muller as Kerrs replacement, by the sounds of it everyone agreed Kerr would be gone in the Summer window after the qualifiers.

Again just rumours, but McCann wasn't planned for and came about as he made it abundantly clear he wanted to leave. I don't think MacPherson was the planned replacement and simply someone who could be loaned to bridge the gap between windows. I'll be worried if we do anything permanent with him based on what we've seen.

They need to be pretty flawless with the signings in January or we're in trouble, and it's not an easy window to get right. The Summer window has completely fucked us.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm almost certain the manager picked Muller as Kerrs replacement, by the sounds of it everyone agreed Kerr would be gone in the Summer window after the qualifiers.

Again just rumours, but McCann wasn't planned for and came about as he made it abundantly clear he wanted to leave. I don't think MacPherson was the planned replacement and simply someone who could be loaned to bridge the gap between windows. I'll be worried if we do anything permanent with him based on what we've seen.

They need to be pretty flawless with the signings in January or we're in trouble, and it's not an easy window to get right. The Summer window has completely fucked us.

I'm not saying you're wrong but picking a 19 year old with zero experience to replace Kerr raises some serious questions. 

Even if he had the makings of being a similar type of player to Kerr expecting him to step right into that role? That's a massive gamble.

2 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but picking a 19 year old with zero experience to replace Kerr raises some serious questions. 

Even if he had the makings of being a similar type of player to Kerr expecting him to step right into that role? That's a massive gamble.

Oh yeah I wasn't saying it was the right decision, just that I think that was his thoughts.

I've been fairly clear for a long time now that I don't rate Davidson as a squad builder. Since he took over we've got weaker despite having a solid base to build from.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Oh yeah I wasn't saying it was the right decision, just that I think that was his thoughts.

I've been fairly clear for a long time now that I don't rate Davidson as a squad builder. Since he took over we've got weaker despite having a solid base to build from.

A poor squad builder a chairman like Brown are an unhealthy mix.

Our lack of any goal threat has ruined our season so far and it is all due to our lack of investment in the striking department. With our cup money etc there is no excuse for it.

All our new season ticket holders must be scunnered I know I am.