Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I think Dundee (fans) need to be very careful here. Intentions of the owners could be the best imaginable (and I don't think they've shown any reason to doubt that) but selling Dens and essentially rendering themselves homeless has a risk attached, even if there are simply just problems with the building process of a new ground, let alone the possibility of worse. 

You look at the years that Hamilton, Clyde and Airdrie spent as nomads. 

Assuming he's not blinded by the pound signs, I think Steve Brown will be telling John Nelms that, as I believe they have a good relationship. That was a big thing in our move, Muirton wouldn't be handed over until McDiarmid was complete.

Surely the new stadium project would be completed on time and to the highest quality by Tayside's finest family-owned contractors, who as it happens can also rent you a ground at a very reasonable rate.

Tidy bit of business. But no penalty clauses for late delivery please, you can just keep renting until it's finished ....

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its remarkable how Dundee fans just nod their head at every monorail-esque plot their owners come up with tbh.

Any other fanbase would be questioning the sanity of selling their ground to afford the new one, and the bright red flag that waves. Yet instead the come along gloating about it 😂

Because there's about 3 generations of Dees that consider their testimonial friendly against crystal palace as their highlight of their time supporting the club.

1 hour ago, Radford said:

I think they want to buy it back so they can sell it to help fund the new ground. The new ground should be called Bennett Park in that case because John Bennett is being hugely generous when, presumably, he could just sell the land himself if Dundee are moving?

Maybe there is an agreement in place that he can't do that or something though. 

How many Dundee fans would travel down to Perth every second week, certainly once any novelty wore off? 

That is generous to the point of bizarre for a man who has no allegiance to Dundee, and allegedly supports Utd. 'Here sign this to agree to sell us Dens for £2m so we can sell it to developers for £3m'.

Edit: Having read a bit more, as you suggest it does seem to be the case that he is restricted in what he can do with Dens and is most likely to sell it back.  Sounds like it was a very charitable gesture by him to buy it in the first place.

Edited by PauloPerth

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm pretty sure a global pandemic threw more than one spanner in the works m8.

Yeah, it's almost 5 years since your owners bought the land m8. In that time they've allowed Dens to fall into a fucking state and the new stadium isn't close to even starting.

About 5 months ago your chairman claimed "funding was just about done" and work could start soon, and now it's being reported you have to sell Dens before you can afford it.

Do you not see whats coming? You've got owners with no connection to the club, who want to bring money in, who have a huge plot of land waiting to be built on, and the only thing holding it up is the Dundee stadium part of it. I'd honestly hope not but this whole thing reeks of you selling Dens, work starting at Camperdown, something holding up the new stadium, and Dundee being homeless for years as your owners prioritise the other parts of the project and give you all the same false promises you've had for the past decade. I've no idea how you've got so desperate you'll just nod along as that unfolds.

6 hours ago, tree house tam said:

If you had a choice who would you have, Matty Kennedy or Ali Crawford?

Matty Kennedy would absolutely excel in our formation imo and would likely be available in January. 

I'd rather avoid Kennedy.

I think he's alright but he's struggled with injuries at Aberdeen, he'd be a high earner, and we've been stung a lot recently by bringing back players like that.

I think he's alright but he's struggled with injuries at Aberdeen, he'd be a high earner, and we've been stung a lot recently by bringing back players like that.

Not having a go but would question the last part of that.

Swanson: superb when he came back first time from Hearts, struggled a bit the third time he returned.

MOH: great first loan spell here from Rangers when he first returned. Two pretty below average seasons in his third spell but has been one of our more productive players this year. All in all I think defo fair to say it’s been successful bringing him back

Craig: does he count? Are there others you’re thinking of? I guess May hasn’t been brilliant but he’s not really been poor as such either

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Agree. We need new blood please.

The idea that Dens would have to be sold to build the new stadium seems bizarre to me. How much can Dens be worth to housing developers? It’s surely not so big that you could build that many houses on it, and given the area it is in you’re hardly likely to be pitching at the high end of the market.

In comparison, the development of a new stadium will surely be many multiples of what the old ground would sell for. And they’d have to buy the ground back first to then sell it on so the actual amount of cash realised from the sale surely can’t be that significant in the scheme of things.

As far as Marty Kennedy goes, I’d have him back in a flash. We’re crying out for someone to do what he did first time round.

53 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

A fucked Kennedy could still defend and press better than Crawford 

It's not an either or situation tbf.

I like Kennedy and think he's a good player, but if we continue with this shape his best role is probably in the same spaces Wotherspoon needs. If we could find a left footed Kennedy though...

19 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Not having a go but would question the last part of that.

Swanson: superb when he came back first time from Hearts, struggled a bit the third time he returned.

MOH: great first loan spell here from Rangers when he first returned. Two pretty below average seasons in his third spell but has been one of our more productive players this year. All in all I think defo fair to say it’s been successful bringing him back

Craig: does he count? Are there others you’re thinking of? I guess May hasn’t been brilliant but he’s not really been poor as such either

Swansons final spell was a disaster. Neither MOH or May have been successful considering the money they were on, which needs added in when they're our highest earners. Both muddle along fine playing their part every so often, but not enough to justify the spend.

If we'd planned better for the Summer I wouldn't have been shocked if both were moved on, rather than handing them new deals. MOH has been better this season but he still doesn't fit the shape we play apart from odd games at RWB.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, it's almost 5 years since your owners bought the land m8. In that time they've allowed Dens to fall into a fucking state and the new stadium isn't close to even starting.

About 5 months ago your chairman claimed "funding was just about done" and work could start soon, and now it's being reported you have to sell Dens before you can afford it.

Do you not see whats coming? You've got owners with no connection to the club, who want to bring money in, who have a huge plot of land waiting to be built on, and the only thing holding it up is the Dundee stadium part of it. I'd honestly hope not but this whole thing reeks of you selling Dens, work starting at Camperdown, something holding up the new stadium, and Dundee being homeless for years as your owners prioritise the other parts of the project and give you all the same false promises you've had for the past decade. I've no idea how you've got so desperate you'll just nod along as that unfolds.

The actions of the owners make sense to me. Of course they've not invested in Dens - why would you sink capital into infrastructure you don't own when you're actively planning to vacate it. It's entirely possible the funding being nearly done comment was about this very situation (the sale of Dens). I doesn't seem like it's been an easy negotiation as the latest instalment seems to suggest. 

I suspect the requirement to sell is because they have a very long lease commitment, which will hamper their ability to raise funds. They have to get out of the lease, and it sounds like the only option for that is to persuade the owner to sell, which removes a big liability. The cost of renting McDairmid could (maybe) be capitalised into the project so wouldn't have that much of an impact on them. 

That all makes sense to me. However I do agree with your second point and I do think a groundshare will be at least mooted. You don't want an asset like that sitting empty every second weekend, literally halving your turnover. If the banks (or whoever is financing it) want to de-risk the investment that would be an obvious thing to look at. 

8 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dens has been a fucking state for more than 5 years m8 FFS.

And a new stadium doesn't just happen overnight. It's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

The rest of your post is just your usual wind and pish tbh with absolute zero substance and more than a little hope from yourself.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Dens has been a fucking state for more than 5 years m8 FFS.

And a new stadium doesn't just happen overnight. It's nowhere near as simple as you make out.

The rest of your post is just your usual wind and pish tbh with absolute zero substance and more than a little hope from yourself.

You just continue whistling along the road as you watch your club become homeless m8. That always ends well for clubs.

8 hours ago, mizfit said:

Middleton, May & Wotherspoon out until Christmas.

Looking forward to watching a Crawford, Kane, MOH frontline for the next two months.

Goals will rain down on us.

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You just continue whistling along the road as you watch your club become homeless m8. That always ends well for clubs.

What exactly should I be doing m8? I am in zero control of the situation and just a fan. The only difference that you'd be doing if you were in my situation is crying about it on here. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

What exactly should I be doing m8? I am in zero control of the situation and just a fan. 

Ach well, best just sit back and hope for the best then.

Good luck.