Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

He scored in the FA cup. Just because it's a non league team the guys laughing?

He could have easily stayed here and played against a Scottish non league team in our cup.

I think it’s more the choice of club and the league…then again, Wigan are currently second top of League 1 with a game in hand and could well be a championship side next season. If he helps guide his club to promotion then he’ll have proved to any of the doubters that he made a good move.

Made sure the club got a decent transfer fee for him, whilst furthering his own career and turned down his boyhood club because he didn’t want to sour the relationship he has with the club…

Not sure what genuine qualms can be had

His maw needs to stay off social media if she's getting upset over absolutely nothing which the above is.

ETA:

Just read her Twitter and see that she's an anti-vax moron. And yer man has been forced into an apology over it all.

f**k sake. :lol:

Edited by Ludo*1

2 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

I think it’s more the choice of club and the league…then again, Wigan are currently second top of League 1 with a game in hand and could well be a championship side next season. If he helps guide his club to promotion then he’ll have proved to any of the doubters that he made a good move.

Plenty rumours saying he turned down Hibs, who tried to pressure him into forcing a move for nothing, and turned down clubs offering him a hefty fee to wait until the next Summer, as he wanted Saints to get a fee. We ended up with over £500k for a player who could sign elsewhere for nothing just a few months later.

Jason Kerr deserves absolutely no criticism.

As for the club, he's likely to look better playing in a Wigan side that plays the same system as us, and who should dominate most matches, than if he'd gone to some lower half Championship dross where all they do is shell balls about. Similar reasoning behind Regan Hendry dropping to Forest Green. Maybe Scottish players deciding its better to hit form down there at a lower level and move up than chase the money at a "larger" club and then struggle.

Edited by RandomGuy.

4 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Kerr’s mum is baws deep 

I would normally pounce on this shit but anti vaxers put me right off.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's club snobbery, while also aggravating the family of our most successful ever captain who chose a poorer move than he could've got as it netted the club a 6 figure fee, instead of leaving for free 12 months later.

I don't either Kerr or McCann deserve criticised for wanting to move on, but one treated the club better than the other.

This. 

Edited by tree house tam

On 18/11/2021 at 11:45, RandomGuy. said:

I don't either Kerr or McCann deserve criticised for wanting to move on, but one treated the club better than the other.

Agree. Love McCann as well but let's be honest his agent and Preston shafted Saints.  They must have had an agreement in place for a while to leave the bid until the last minute of the window thus preventing any other bids pushing the price up. He was obviously told force the deal through anyway you can.  It also left us no time to get a suitable replacement.

No animosity towards the lad, but he could have looked after Saints and got his move as well, the way the likes of David Turnbull did for Motherwell, but chose not to.

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Don’t know why there’s nothing on here about the fans in the supporters bus that caught fire. Does anyone know if the five fans that were taken to hospital are all as ok as can be?

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Cuts, bruises and one with a suspected broken ankle is what I heard.

Thats all I’ve heard too.

Video of the blaze makes it look like a lucky escape.

Now I haven't commented on the game yet anywhere and I'd put it in the match thread, but I don't think it's going to be that game specific. Firstly, I wasn't unhappy with the way we played on Saturday, we did the best we could with the hand which we were dealt. Without a mistake and a missed handball, Celtic weren't scoring in normal time and I'm not sure they hadn't ran out of ideas by halftime. Lastly on the actual game, I'm not blaming Nick Walsh for us losing the game, far from it; however whatever happened at half time totally changed how he refereed that match, all you ask for in a semi final against the Glasgow teams is that it's a fair match and you're given an honest chance. I'm not sure I can say that we did, which is frustrating.

We do however need to look at saints as a team when analysing that match. We're excellent defensively, we know this, it doesn't tend to matter who plays where and when, we're solid. That is great testament to Davidson as a manager and a defensive couch. But there in lies the problem, he's a defensive coach by nature. He's clearly talented and clever, he sees weaknesses in other teams and knows how to exploit and expose them, so the continual failing to see the weakness in our team is beginning to become an issue. Or maybe he does see it and doesn't think we need to change, which would be even more worrying. We know he's good tactically, so there doesn't stand any reason to suggest that he'd be able to coach the forward players in the same manner as the defensive players, getting them to work as a cohesive, creative unit, but he's got to stop being so safe all the time. Ok on Saturday we didn't have Middleton or May and Wotherspoon going off basically killed any hope we had, but in other games he's had these options and not used them. May, Middleton, Spoony, they can all play football and create things for each other, but Davidson needs to be braver when instructing them. Take a chance, leave an opposition fullback free, commit men forward and hope your defence is as good as you think in dealing with counter attacks, the other main thing is the speed at which we play, it's pedestrian. We need to be slicker and quicker on the ball, at all times. 

Finally, a word on Ali Crawford, once again I know there are saints fans who rate him, but I'm at the stage where I don't want him to be playing minutes for us again. He's a passenger and a man down. He doesn't commit to challenges, or the press. For a manager who demands energy and defensive awareness at all times, it's amazing Davidson still turns to him. 

1 hour ago, Widge said:

Now I haven't commented on the game yet anywhere and I'd put it in the match thread, but I don't think it's going to be that game specific. Firstly, I wasn't unhappy with the way we played on Saturday, we did the best we could with the hand which we were dealt. Without a mistake and a missed handball, Celtic weren't scoring in normal time and I'm not sure they hadn't ran out of ideas by halftime. Lastly on the actual game, I'm not blaming Nick Walsh for us losing the game, far from it; however whatever happened at half time totally changed how he refereed that match, all you ask for in a semi final against the Glasgow teams is that it's a fair match and you're given an honest chance. I'm not sure I can say that we did, which is frustrating.

We do however need to look at saints as a team when analysing that match. We're excellent defensively, we know this, it doesn't tend to matter who plays where and when, we're solid. That is great testament to Davidson as a manager and a defensive couch. But there in lies the problem, he's a defensive coach by nature. He's clearly talented and clever, he sees weaknesses in other teams and knows how to exploit and expose them, so the continual failing to see the weakness in our team is beginning to become an issue. Or maybe he does see it and doesn't think we need to change, which would be even more worrying. We know he's good tactically, so there doesn't stand any reason to suggest that he'd be able to coach the forward players in the same manner as the defensive players, getting them to work as a cohesive, creative unit, but he's got to stop being so safe all the time. Ok on Saturday we didn't have Middleton or May and Wotherspoon going off basically killed any hope we had, but in other games he's had these options and not used them. May, Middleton, Spoony, they can all play football and create things for each other, but Davidson needs to be braver when instructing them. Take a chance, leave an opposition fullback free, commit men forward and hope your defence is as good as you think in dealing with counter attacks, the other main thing is the speed at which we play, it's pedestrian. We need to be slicker and quicker on the ball, at all times. 

Finally, a word on Ali Crawford, once again I know there are saints fans who rate him, but I'm at the stage where I don't want him to be playing minutes for us again. He's a passenger and a man down. He doesn't commit to challenges, or the press. For a manager who demands energy and defensive awareness at all times, it's amazing Davidson still turns to him. 

Well we've offered Crawford a contract so be prepared to put up with him for a wee while longer. 

He's obviously got some ability as a goal scorer but does he fit our shape and style? Is CD prepared to change our shape and style? 

Must admit that Davidson’s love of Crawford is a bit baffling to me.  Not even his overall contribution, even just his style. 

For a manager that values defensive qualities and work rate above all else, the fact that he rates a central midfielder who never makes a single tackle, and is brushed aside by opponents every game, is weird.  Saturday was like watching Celtic players swatting away a fly when he was tussling for the ball with them.

If he scored loads and created tonnes of chances then fair enough you suffer his weaknesses.  But he doesn’t, so he should never be more than a squad player.

1 hour ago, Widge said:

The biggest problem is that we don't have any forward who's going to be a consistent goal-threat throughout the game, and that makes us too easy to play against

Saturday was actually the kind of game where Chris Kane is valuable, he put himself about, tried to get us up the pitch and presses hard so that's all fine. The problem is we have nobody who's clever enough to move into the space he vacates. Spoony likes to drift inside and do his thing, he can cross and pick a pass, but he can't get beyond a defense or score goals from distance. MOH has always had the issue where he's not capable of making runs that bother a defense, he hangs wide and wants it to feet before trying to beat players before shooting or crossing, but the lack of goal threat again means teams can push us high knowing that nobody is going to get in behind.

Eetu at least demonstrated that he'll try to score goals and has some kind of game intelligence - his turning of the defending before shooting, actually trying to pick out a teammate or a dangerous area in the box with his header rather was both pleasing and worrying - I still maintain we are the worst team in the league for actually taking care of the ball - too often it's just about trying to win a header and seeing where it goes rather than showing some kind of awareness to cause the defenders problems.

The fact that Eetu looks like a big plus because he was simply trying to engineer a shooting chance or picking out a teammate shows how genuinely rotten our attacking play has been this season, and we still need someone with movement and attacking instincts in January to prevent a relegation battle, but anyone who can do that and press won't be available for us so I won't hold my breath.