Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Who was the last good central midfielder we actually signed? Certainly if you exclude Bryson? 

I think biggest mistake we have made is the board not offering Matt Butcher a deal while we were between managers in 19/20 season/pandemic. Seemed v v gettable at the time and he was improving with every game before the season got cut off. He is the answer to your question if you include loans and exclude over 30s - if you’re meaning permanent signings it genuinely might be Paddy Cregg.. or Liam Craig second time around. Which is depressing .

Crawford is like an older Blair Alston. I reckon he could finish as our top scorer this season without ever looking particularly good or having an actual proper position in the team. Is it worth carrying someone who can score goals and do little else considering how no one else in our squad even looks close to scoring at the minute? I genuinely don’t know. Maybe an alright short term squad option, but completely agree a 2 year deal for him at his age is depressing and implies Davidson really rates him… which is equally depressing.

We’re in danger from going from a team stuffed with young stars and a strong spine to one populated with journeymen and loanees. Need to see some long term planning in next two windows.

Just now, The Saintee said:

So we're probably going to have to plan to replace Clark and McCart next summer as well. Possibly Rooney also.

Fun times ahead.

I think the squad needs a refresh. Maybe seems a strange thing to say when we've won two cups and continuity has been the cornerstone of everything over the past 15 years but there has to be a sense of "completed it, mate" about things for this group. 

I won't be upset if any player chooses to move on over the next 8 months and instead it should be viewed as an opportunity to put something new together.

It's then up to the HoR to work with the manager on delivering that and convincing the chairman to back them. And on Scott Boyd to get the deals done, if that is indeed his role, as opposed to just thanking himself on the website. 

Is the manager prepared to try and put something new together? Something, dare I say, that might be a bit more exciting?

It'd be nice to think so. A team where the most important P-word was passing, pace or poaching, rather than pressing. 

6 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

That’ll be Booth tied up for another year, assuming I’ve read the latest tweet correctly. A bit meh, could be worse, could be better. 

I got excited when the first word looked like it could be Zander and then realised it's Booth

probably the least exciting extension, would rather Devine was playing

Love Clive Smith. :wub: 

Continuity is all well and good, but we've got to look at the age and make up of the squad and rebalance things over the next couple of windows. A lot of players will be 30 + comes the end of the season, a lot of others have similar strengths (spoiling, pressing and being able to kick the ball very far) and there's virtually no flair in this team. Wotherspoon looking like the outlier and he can't be expected to carry the creative load on his own forever.

We've been very loyal to players who have generally been loyal to us but things do move on. We can't just muddle along in this way forever.

10 minutes ago, The Marly said:

No. Rooney is clearly having a joke. Why are so many people determined to have a pop at everything the club does just now?

It's lucky you're here to clear these things up.

Why didn't they, you know, give Booth two years last summer?

Having two guys like Tanser and Booth competing for a spot last season was ideal as it really pushed them on. Obviously Tanser wasn't up for the challenge but the aim should have been to bring in someone to put as much pressure on Booth. 

Devine got a few games at the start of the season but now looks every inch just cover and I think Booth's performances have dipped, although not helped by the absence of Wotherspoon. It's significant how much better he looks in the company of DW. 

The tackle in the cup final was massive but in terms of direct goals and assists, Booth disappoints a bit. WhoScored has him making just 2 key passes in 901 mins of football. For contrast, Rooney has made 8 key passes in 787 mins.

In short, happy he's tied up but would like to see another option in his position next season, not just cover. 

1 hour ago, Radford said:

Why didn't they, you know, give Booth two years last summer?

Having two guys like Tanser and Booth competing for a spot last season was ideal as it really pushed them on. Obviously Tanser wasn't up for the challenge but the aim should have been to bring in someone to put as much pressure on Booth. 

Devine got a few games at the start of the season but now looks every inch just cover and I think Booth's performances have dipped, although not helped by the absence of Wotherspoon. It's significant how much better he looks in the company of DW. 

The tackle in the cup final was massive but in terms of direct goals and assists, Booth disappoints a bit. WhoScored has him making just 2 key passes in 901 mins of football. For contrast, Rooney has made 8 key passes in 787 mins.

In short, happy he's tied up but would like to see another option in his position next season, not just cover. 

I'd hope that come the summer we would be looking for someone better,  if not before.  I like Booth,  but I do think we could get better and he becomes the backup. 

We definitely need a freshness introduced to the squad. At least 2-3 players who will improve our starting eleven, and hopefully add an attacking threat.

I don't go along with the clearout argument though. We have fostered such a strong mentality in the squad that it's important not to discard suddenly.  

Players like McCann, Kerr, Gordon, Clark, Kane and May picked it up from Maclean, Wright, Mackay, Easton, Anderson, Millar, Davidson, Wotherspoon, Craig, Mannus etc and it's important players coming in get immersed in that culture.

We have won trophies, had numerous top six finishes and European matches generally not by being a more talented squad than those around us, but by being well coached and having a squad with a tremendous winning mentality.

You could arguably bring in a squad of slightly more talented players, but that are heartless and chuck it as soon as things go against them.

We do have to improve the quality of fare on offer though. We're not going to win cups every season and watching performances like Saturday's regularly will chase folk away. 

I've noticed that the Vertainen-leaving idea is also being reported as fact by various clearly non-ITK saints twitter accounts.

My understanding is it all arise from one WAP poster who seems to have gone off the rails going by the tenor of his posts. Is there more to it than that?

If there is truth in it, I hope he at least gets a few more cameos to at least give fans insight in CD's views, although it doesn't follow that I'm saying CD 'owes' fans that.

2 hours ago, FrankChickens1 said:

I've noticed that the Vertainen-leaving idea is also being reported as fact by various clearly non-ITK saints twitter accounts.

My understanding is it all arise from one WAP poster who seems to have gone off the rails going by the tenor of his posts. Is there more to it than that?

If there is truth in it, I hope he at least gets a few more cameos to at least give fans insight in CD's views, although it doesn't follow that I'm saying CD 'owes' fans that.

Doesn't seem to be anything remotely concrete. 

One WAP guy said that he imagined that Vertainen would be loaned back and others seem to have jumped on it as gospel. Also some ITK posters are claiming that coaches/players are spreading the word that he's shite with a bad attitude 🙄