Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, The Marly said:

I actually thought Booth was one of the few to get pass marks yesterday,  along with Zander,  Gordon and Bryson.  

Booths biggest issue right now is the fact he’s got absolutely nobody playing ahead of him. He picks his head up and he’s got f**k all anywhere within 30 yards of him to pass to. I think he’s been a little of the boil recently and would actually give Devine a shot, but the team isn’t helping him. 

The home record is a concern and so is the goalscoring record. We brought Vertainen in to give us something different but I wouldn't be surprised if we were busy coaching him to be more hardworking and industrious like Kane. 

How can we possibly know how ready he is if he's hardly kicked a ball in a competitive game?

Edited by Broon_100

1 hour ago, Steve McQueen said:

Weirdly only Celtic have conceded less that us. If we can sort the attack out there  is still a chance of a good season.

Fair play on a very positive taken on the table Steve.  I looked at the tables after today’s matches and my main thought is we are the lowest goalscorers across the four Scottish leagues.

Cowdenbeath are the only other team in the country still on single figures for goals scored. But they’ve got a game in hand on us!

8 hours ago, Widge said:

Booths biggest issue right now is the fact he’s got absolutely nobody playing ahead of him. He picks his head up and he’s got f**k all anywhere within 30 yards of him to pass to. I think he’s been a little of the boil recently and would actually give Devine a shot, but the team isn’t helping him. 

I think Booth is a solid 2* player, and I agree with this

13 hours ago, Widge said:

Compounded on Saturday by having McCart inside him who was absolutely honking. 

15 hours ago, Widge said:

I think the point about having nobody ahead of him is spot on. You can see him looking up in games and he has no one to play it out to there. Its sort of a similar problem on the right. A lot if the time MOH got one on one with their full back and he too often didn't run at him or probably thought by the time I get beyond, there will be no one in the middle.

I think getting Bryson on Spoony in the same side is a must. Both are players who can make something happen and we really need it.

Them two and a fully fit Rooney and a goalscorer aside, I don't think we are far off.

I do however think McCart would benefit from a few games out of the team. He has been pretty rank for a while now and was truelly truelly awful on Saturday. 

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

There doesn’t seem to be much hype around the semi-final and I’ve barely seen more than one or two posts from the club since the draw was made. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but I can’t see us selling many tickets at all.

We'll sell our usual 3500 and with the way we're playing that's exceptional. 

2 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

There doesn’t seem to be much hype around the semi-final and I’ve barely seen more than one or two posts from the club since the draw was made. Maybe I’m completely wrong, but I can’t see us selling many tickets at all.

I've not got mine yet and I'm not even that fussed tbh.

I will get them and go eventually, but the last few displays have scunnered me to the point that the inevitability of another 90 minutes of sitting deep, hoping your opponents can't cut you open, and hoping to nab a goal from a set play, is slightly outweighing the excitement of a semi final.

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

I'd say the lack of news on tickets is probably an indication that they aren't selling just too well. Which, from the outside might seem mental given we are defending a double, but the minging performances of late, coupled with location, price and opposition probably puts folk off.

For those who have attended semi finals at Hampden vs either Rangers or Celtic, it's frankly sh$t. Rubbish stadium that is totally inaccessible, usually support split over two separate areas and hugely outnumbered by the 'home' support.

I think the cup semis we had vs Rangers and Celtic in maybe 2007 and 2010 (or thereabouts) had really low total crowds. Think the Rangers one was less than 20k.

I think the SFA and SPFL just do not get that for a lot of clubs fans, a semi final vs either isn't such a draw to bring out the day trippers. 

You could have the same 2 teams playing the same semi in say Edinburgh and I'd reckon you'd double the saints support.

As a general rule, regardless of opponents, I would say no semi should ever be played at Hampden. I'd go further. If the SFA were clever, they'd not only rebuild Hampden, but go into a joint venture with a private company and say Glasgow warriors or Edinburgh Rugby and build a 30k stadium that is used specifically for semi finals, lower attendance Scotland games, all u21 games and women's games. Would be more used than most club grounds and done right would pay for itself.

10 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

I do however think McCart would benefit from a few games out of the team. He has been pretty rank for a while now and was truelly truelly awful on Saturday. 

Yet, many people seem to think he will be off to pastures new (Hibs) after this season.  Perhaps not the case? 

16 minutes ago, mizfit said:

That’s the record linking Zander with Rangers on a PCA.

A move you couldn't grudge him tbf, boyhood fan of them I think? 

At an age where a big move like that gives him more than we can offer, bit shite bit that's just where we are.

I've already started looking at Millwalls U19 squad to see who we'll be loaning in to replace him this Summer.