Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, Theyellowbox said:

Forget that, bring back dotty bars!

If not a contract, can only assume some sort of open day with the trophies. We must have to hand back the LC pretty soon (until we get it back once we win it in Dec)

Is there an international weekend soon? Might do it then.

4 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Gordon the new club captain. 

Fantastic news, but not unexpected.

He's living every saints fans dream isn't he? You can tell how much it means to him to not only play for the club, but also to captain it. The mention of his grandad being proud kind of rings with many of us. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

54 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Aye it’s hard to believe we’ve done another post 2014 in terms of the squad, but it’s hard to argue against that point.

What it feels like to me is that we got to the end of an unbelievable season with the squad lacking any depth, one real standout player, and a number of others that are good quality for this level, with most folk backing us for top 6 or thereabouts. The immediate priority would have been adding depth, signing loans and squad fillers. What hasn't happened is upgrading anywhere on the park (the opposite) and the best performers from last season have either been missing/injured or playing below par since around half time in the LASK game at McDairmid. McCart, Gordon, MOH, Middleton, Spoony, Booth, Kane, Rooney, Davidson, Bryson have all struggled for one reason or another, so we've had problems in practically every position. We also had to ditch a starting striker early doors and punt them out on loan. I'd say that only May and Zander (edit: probably Craig too) are having OK seasons. 

If CD can get the team back to both fitness and form it should get us to the January window without being a serious part of the relegation discussion and looking up not down. Let's hope there's some quality available then. On the plus side, last night was our best performance back from international break so hopefully we've got some positive momentum.

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

50 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

What it feels like to me is that we got to the end of an unbelievable season with the squad lacking any depth, one real standout player, and a number of others that are good quality for this level, with most folk backing us for top 6 or thereabouts. The immediate priority would have been adding depth, signing loans and squad fillers. What hasn't happened is upgrading anywhere on the park (the opposite) and the best performers from last season have either been missing/injured or playing below par since around half time in the LASK game at McDairmid. McCart, Gordon, MOH, Middleton, Spoony, Booth, Kane, Rooney, Davidson, Bryson have all struggled for one reason or another, so we've had problems in practically every position. We also had to ditch a starting striker early doors and punt them out on loan. I'd say that only May and Zander (edit: probably Craig too) are having OK seasons. 

If CD can get the team back to both fitness and form it should get us to the January window without being a serious part of the relegation discussion and looking up not down. Let's hope there's some quality available then. On the plus side, last night was our best performance back from international break so hopefully we've got some positive momentum.

I agree about Zander being in good form, and Murray and Gordon playing well when they've not been out injured, but I'm not sure I'd say May was doing better than anyone else. He's working hard I guess.

2 hours ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I think that is a fair assessment. Although it is very difficult to bring in an upgrade to what we already had. Loosing McCann and Kerr so late kind of killed the ability to recycle and of the cash to bring in adequate replacements. Although you could argue it was always known at least one CD and McCann would likely be away.

I thinknthe injuries we are seeing is in part due to the smallish squad or senior pros we have coupled with some of these guys now being the wrong side of 30 and playing a hell of a lot of games.

I think maybe too there is a general 'after the Lord mayor's show' dip in the squad confidence. Post winning the double and the European games, would lead to maybe a bit of a slump anyway, but to loose the captain and vezt player in top of that will have knocked it further. A bit of a break in the international week (assuming we have no call ups) and hopefully a win or two wod do wonders. Maybe getting a bit of a bettering last night 2nd half and still coming away with a point will help too. 

23 minutes ago, Widge said:

So who’s gonna be our keeper for next season, as there’s zero chance Clark signs a new deal with us when he’s in this kind of form!

Good point. Be very interesting to see what happens as apart from Clark's dodgy spell of form we've been blessed with very solid keepers for a few years now.

4 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Someone want to go and get Peter Grants opinion on whether Zander or Liam Kelly should get a call up? I mean loosing a barrel load vs one of the gruesome twosome is grounds for not getting a call up.

I doubt he's answering his phone to anyone just now...

1 minute ago, steviemay17 said:

Does anyone think we manage to keep any one out of Clark/McCart/Rooney beyond this season?

Clark probably the best hope, but if it doesn't happen soon then it likely wont. Rooney maybe, hes got kind of a niche role with us which brings the best out in him, can see him extending for another year.

McCart feels like hes 100% off.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Clark probably the best hope, but if it doesn't happen soon then it likely wont. Rooney maybe, hes got kind of a niche role with us which brings the best out in him, can see him extending for another year.

McCart feels like hes 100% off.

I'm not sure why I'm not as fussed about McCart leaving as the other two, but might be a case of missing him more once he's gone.

I really want Rooney to stay, mainly trying to talk myself into some kind of likelihood of it happening!

I'm not sure why I'm not as fussed about McCart leaving as the other two, but might be a case of missing him more once he's gone.
I really want Rooney to stay, mainly trying to talk myself into some kind of likelihood of it happening!
I'm on the same page as you. McCart hasn't quite hit the same level as last season yet but he is still a major component of the defence.

I'd greet if Rooney leaves. He brings so much to the team.

Will be some task to replace McCart in the summer - thought he was immense yesterday. Probably struggle to find a left sided centre half quite as good as him on our budget.

In terms of Rooney, I’d wonder if past experiences at Dunfermline and York would play in our favour. Found himself a home in a team and style of play that suits him with fans that adore him, but money talks. 

As for Zander, you’d have to say a bigger club would be mad not to have a punt on  him, especially after yesterday. His parents were in Trades last night and had said that he loves it at Saints - I’ll be using that to convince myself he’s staying. Again though, money talks and you could hardly grudge him his move. 

Bryson, Booth, Craig, Davidson and potentially Ambrose all to sign extensions?

30 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Will be some task to replace McCart in the summer - thought he was immense yesterday. Probably struggle to find a left sided centre half quite as good as him on our budget.

Agree he was excellent yesterday after being below par for quite a few matches this season.

As for Zander, you’d have to say a bigger club would be mad not to have a punt on  him, especially after yesterday. His parents were in Trades last night and had said that he loves it at Saints - I’ll be using that to convince myself he’s staying. Again though, money talks and you could hardly grudge him his move. 

Am I right in thinking development fees stop after 24, so we’d get nothing for Zander unless we sell in January?

Bryson, Booth, Craig, Davidson and potentially Ambrose all to sign extensions?

Ages are 34, 30, 34, 33, 33. Throw in David Wotherspoon at 31 and Michael O’Halloran at 30 and a fair chunk of our starting line up are older.
All absolutely capable of still performing at this level.
Keeping them all fit is the challenge, though I guess the advantage is other teams’ are far less likely to come after them.

Compensation is last due the season a player turns 23. Clark is well, well, beyond that stage.

Ambrose is a stop gap, he leaves this Summer at the latest IMO. Craig/Davidson depends on them but both should be squad players at best. Bryson should probably be allowed to leave to make room for younger players, despite his quality. Booth is kept on to compete with a new LWB. That's my thoughts just now.