Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, Zamora Fan said:

I don’t understand how people don’t see the other side of the “why not just give him time when we’re losing even if he’s not ready?” argument. Say he’s given 20 minutes when the game is already dead against Livi for the sake of it even tho CD doesn’t think he’s quite up to speed with system/style of play yet - and he’s dreadful. Doesn’t know where to go in the system, gets brushed off the ball by Livi’s high press, maybe even gives the ball away from holding it too long and Livi score a 4th as a result. We all know some dickhead fans angry at the result would probably jeer him in that case - it would be a much more pointless exercise than CD explaining to him that he doesn’t think he’s quite there yet etc etc. And I think would wreck his confidence more than the current situation.

I’d ask fans to remember Danny Swanson’s debut 45 minutes v Queen of the South away when he wasn’t up to speed yet, was shite, and got booed (something I’m still angry about to this day) and I think was one of those that irate Saints fans chucked a snowball at. Took him a while to recover from that in his first season before eventually coming good in the last few games. Vertainen is here two years, plenty time to see what he can do.

A good point, but the counter could be that he comes on and scores. I think the frustration is we signed a guy who seems to have something different, but despite us not doing well up front, we don't get to see him. 

On the Swanson booing at QOS part of the ire for some saints fans was it appearing as if he couldn't be bothered. In hindsight he was unfit and as you make the good point was counterproductive. Think he maybe started that game though?

1 hour ago, PSJ.84 said:

Also don’t get the argument about Saturday past when we’d already made 2 subs and had to get both O’Halloran and Efe off after their head clash. Fully trust the manager on this one 

I think we could still make another sub as one of those would go down as a concussion sub, so you can make an extra change..... I think. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

7 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

I think we could still make another sub as one of those would go down as a concussion sub, so you can make an extra change..... I think. 

We made 4.

Dendoncker, Brown, Davidson, Middleton.

Wouldn't be shocked if Brown/Davidson/Middleton all start this weekend.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We made 4.

Dendoncker, Brown, Davidson, Middleton.

Wouldn't be shocked if Brown/Davidson/Middleton all start this weekend.

Yeah, but if both a deemed head knocks, both can get a replacement.

I agree, I think all 3 will probably start. Middleton's pace could be a good outball if we are being pinned back in defence. 

I see we have given Hearts a section of the Ormond for the game in midweek. Makes sense if they need the extra tickets. I think I'm right I saying the Ormind season ticket holders had already been shifted as it tends not to be open for midweek games?

If they've sold out their bit if the main and the North stand, must have shifted 2,500-2,700 tickets so far. I think the main allocation for away fans is slightly smaller than it used to be due to the red zone needing a segregation from the rest of the seats. 

59 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Yeah, but if both a deemed head knocks, both can get a replacement.

I was under the impression that you’re only allowed one additional substitution for concussion but having checked there it is two.  

Might be slightly pessimistic, but I’m of the view it’d probably have done more harm than good to bring him on when we’re 3-0 down in a game that we were in real danger of falling further behind in. With regards the Dundee game at McDiarmid, I’d argue at that point in the game, Middleton’s pace was the better option to go with. 

19 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

Might be slightly pessimistic, but I’m of the view it’d probably have done more harm than good to bring him on when we’re 3-0 down in a game that we were in real danger of falling further behind in. With regards the Dundee game at McDiarmid, I’d argue at that point in the game, Middleton’s pace was the better option to go with. 

What about the cup game at Dens? 

16 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

What about the cup game at Dens? 

Who are you saying he shouldve come on ahead of?

Or are we at the stage of thinking the manager doesn't rate him because he's not giving him a 2 minute appearance at the end to waste time?

See we're not signing the Israeli midfielder after all

Unless he was something special we don't need another midfielder, any free agent signing needs to be a striker, preferrably one who understands that a run in behind the defence is allowed, maybe even they could understand that a ball being flicked on is a possibility rather than standing and watching it

The reason no one has likely heard of Mark Walker is he's prepared to do the bidding of agents. That the usual suspects wouldn't touch the Altman story tells you everything.
He went home at the end of last week without an offer.

I did have a suspicion when Eric Nicholson didn’t say much.

FWIW, since hes not signing now.

Altman.thumb.png.4eb71e212618bbbe3e54c799b1645b4e.png

Doesn't give you anything defensively, or in attack, really. Looks like hes maybe mobile with the average 1v1 defence and ball carrying, and comfortable on the ball, but I'd like to think thats the minimum expectation for any CM we're looking to sign, and we could get someone whos as good/better on the ball but could also offer us something in defence or attack, or both.

I'm having my doubts about Ambrose as a Saints player.  I was happy with us signing him, and still understand why, but am going full circle on him starting for us.

He's a great lad and a very capable player, but his style is so different to what our defence has been built on, and I'm not sure he's a player whose style you can change at this stage of his career.  He takes unnecessary risks regularly that don't really gain you anything other than an olé from the crowd, and is now producing significant mistakes which are costing goals.  I think Dendoncker or Muller in at RCB with Gordon and McCart keeping them right would maintain our defensive shape far better.

Wotherspoon is another I'd like to go back to doing the things he does best.  It looks like he's now more interested in doing the chop repeatedly to showboat, rather than open up space for a cross or shot.  He needs to go back to focussing on end product; assists and goals are what we're crying out for.

The wing backs played major parts in giving away a goal each yesterday as well, poor from both at each Celtic goal.  Must clear the lines better.

It is a frustration that our squad is weaker in every department than last season; midfield and defence you can understand a bit with selling two of our better players, but in attack, which remains absolutely toothless, its harder to find excuses.  We play either of two forwards who are predominately in the team for their defensive work.

We need to find a way to scrape points again, it's going to be tough upto January, get back to clean sheets and build from there.

14 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I'm having my doubts about Ambrose as a Saints player.  I was happy with us signing him, and still understand why, but am going full circle on him starting for us.

He's a great lad and a very capable player, but his style is so different to what our defence has been built on, and I'm not sure he's a player whose style you can change at this stage of his career.  He takes unnecessary risks regularly that don't really gain you anything other than an olé from the crowd, and is now producing significant mistakes which are costing goals.  I think Dendoncker or Muller in at RCB with Gordon and McCart keeping them right would maintain our defensive shape far better.

Wotherspoon is another I'd like to go back to doing the things he does best.  It looks like he's now more interested in doing the chop repeatedly to showboat, rather than open up space for a cross or shot.  He needs to go back to focussing on end product; assists and goals are what we're crying out for.

The wing backs played major parts in giving away a goal each yesterday as well, poor from both at each Celtic goal.  Must clear the lines better.

It is a frustration that our squad is weaker in every department than last season; midfield and defence you can understand a bit with selling two of our better players, but in attack, which remains absolutely toothless, its harder to find excuses.  We play either of two forwards who are predominately in the team for their defensive work.

We need to find a way to scrape points again, it's going to be tough upto January, get back to clean sheets and build from there.

My team thoughts yesterday didn't include Ambrose, but that was before we found out O'Halloran was missing. On our right yesterday we had the issue that Brown (who I like more as a CB than a WB) was regularly unable to stop either the man or the cross and Ambrose was AWOL from the RCB position. We didn't have that issue with the faster and more positionally disciplined Kerr. It must have Davidson tearing his hair out. Gordon, McCart and either of Brown or Dendoncker is our best back 3 IMO. Ambrose is 'break glass in case of emergency'. 

Davidson and especially Rooney/MOH on the right were huge misses for us yesterday. We're due a set play goal and had little threat from corners yesterday. Hope at least one is fit for Wednesday. 

On your other point we still don't know if E2 is part of the answer. 

My main take away from the last couple of games is that we look a long, long way from that team that drew in Istanbul not very long ago. 

I notice Celtic fans are using yesterday’s away allocation to justify not offering away fans tickets to parkhead.

Completely forgetting tickets didn’t go on sale until Thursday, and with a Perthshire team being involved in a Scottish cup tie with tickets on sale for a month beforehand.

Losing Kerr and McCann on deadline day were decisions that would always hinder this season. We all knew that, which made the lack of permanent replacements more concerning.

Ambrose has shown he’s a good defender when he’s not trying anything over the top. But he should just be a case of being on the bench only for emergency use only.

It felt like we were turning a corner and the international break came at the wrong time. I’ve faith it’ll all come good in the end, but for once I’d like us to hit the ground running at the start of a season.