Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

Just now, tree house tam said:

Spoony will be off at the end of this contract imo.

you keep saying this. Where does that come from

see above comments if he is offered 3 years he will bite Saints hand off IMO 

unless you think you know otherwise 

7 minutes ago, THE FAT MAN said:

you keep saying this. Where does that come from

see above comments if he is offered 3 years he will bite Saints hand off IMO 

unless you think you know otherwise 

I've said it twice, after hearing the words "I would like to try out America before my career ends" come out of his mouth. This of course depends on anyone in America actually wanting him but after the success of Morgan, Russell and Gauld Scottish stock is quite high.

Wouldn’t be biggest shock in the world to me if he took a testimonial and ran. I’d have no issues with it - 3 major trophies and a testimonial isn’t a bad haul for your boyhood club, particularly when that club is St. Johnstone.  

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

I've said it twice, after hearing the words "I would like to try out America before my career ends" come out of his mouth. This of course depends on anyone in America actually wanting him but after the success of Morgan, Russell and Gauld Scottish stock is quite high.

Guessing that being a Canadian international would help in terms if profile and possibly if there is alimit on the number of 'foreign' players. Couple of Canadian clubs in MLS that would be an easy move for him. 

https://footballia.net/matches/st-johnstone-rangers-fc

Anyone interested in watching our 2-0 win over Rangers in 97/98, apart from the opening 2 minutes, can watch it at that link, just shove your email address in.

Seems a legit enough website, a lot of geeky folk I follow use it to watch the Italian 3rd tier.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

https://footballia.net/matches/st-johnstone-rangers-fc

Anyone interested in watching our 2-0 win over Rangers in 97/98, apart from the opening 2 minutes, can watch it at that link, just shove your email address in.

Seems a legit enough website, a lot of geeky folk I follow use it to watch the Italian 3rd tier.

I'd seen us get pumped by rangers that often I just couldn't be bothered heading up that day, so we had a day on the piss and sat watching the scores coming in, delighted but gutted.  I think it was the first time we'd beaten them at home in a long time i'm pretty sure, and ever at McDiarmid.

Also missed the 4-1 in 2010, so out of only three victories at McD against them (that's all the ones I can remember anyway), I've only been at one, a 2-1 win with Keigan Parker and Momo Sylla scoring, around 2000.

Seen us beat Celtic at home at least three times, but yet to see us beat them at Celtic park.  A couple of draws is as good as its been for me through there.

The 1998 win (Callum Davidson's last game) was our first home win over them since 1970 (we won at Ibrox a few months later as part of a league double against them). 

Other than the first season at McDiarmid - where we got two draws - we'd never really laid a glove on them, so that was a huge afternoon. @RandomGuy. will no doubt tell me if I'm mistaken but I'm sure Leigh Jenkinson tormented their right back (Porrini?) when he came on for Davidson and Preston dropped to left back. 

We've subsequently beaten them at home another three times, the two mentioned above plus the 3-1 win in April 1999, which is probably my favourite of the victories.

Ironically, we've won at Ibrox as many times over the same period of time. 

Celtic hated playing at McDiarmid in that first decade and we won more games (6) between the sides than they did. They lost on their very first visit and three times in a row between 1997 and 1999. Only beaten them twice at home since then though disappointingly. 

Been fortunate enough to be at all three wins at Celtic Park since 1998. Two midweek evening matches with probably double-figure supports and a win out of nowhere at the start of 2011/12.

IMG_20211007_085128.thumb.jpg.5be060d9d3a69a8b3a201c81bc575893.jpg

Ironically, again, I've missed two of the rare draws we've had there, not including last season obviously. 

I don't think the only time I've ever seen saints beat either Rangers or Celtic was the game where Tade and Vine both scored as we won 2-1, I might be wrong though. Annoyingly I missed the 4-1 against Rangers cause I was in some school event, which thinking back on it tells me how long ago it was since I left school over 10 years ago!

I don't think there's any team in the league, other than Rangers that I've not seen saints beat though, probably include the majority of the Championship into that too. 

24 minutes ago, Radford said:

The 1998 win (Callum Davidson's last game) was our first home win over them since 1970 (we won at Ibrox a few months later as part of a league double against them). 

Other than the first season at McDiarmid - where we got two draws - we'd never really laid a glove on them, so that was a huge afternoon. @RandomGuy. will no doubt tell me if I'm mistaken but I'm sure Leigh Jenkinson tormented their right back (Porrini?) when he came on for Davidson and Preston dropped to left back. 

We've subsequently beaten them at home another three times, the two mentioned above plus the 3-1 win in April 1999, which is probably my favourite of the victories.

Celtic hated playing at McDiarmid in that first decade and we won more games (6) between the sides than they did. They lost on their very first visit and three times in a row between 1997 and 1999. Only beaten them twice at home since then though disappointingly. 

Been fortunate enough to be at all three wins at Celtic Park since 1998. Two midweek evening matches with probably double-figure supports and a win out of nowhere at the start of 2011/12.

IMG_20211007_085128.thumb.jpg.5be060d9d3a69a8b3a201c81bc575893.jpg

Ironically, again, I've missed two of the rare draws we've had there, not including last season obviously. 

I was there at the midweek game when Dasovic scored the only goal, which Im pretty sure was 98/99 season. In my mind it was very similar to his goal in LC final, but maybe I'm merging the two in the old memory bank. 

3 hours ago, Radford said:

plus the 3-1 win in April 1999, which is probably my favourite of the victories.

I'd somehow forgotten about that one which I was at. That breakaway goal to seal it was epic.

Funny how it's often a Saints team not in great form, or very unfancied that grabs the win away against either of The OF. I enjoyed the 3-1 through there when Blair Alston, Denny Johnston and Graham Cummins scored for us.

Long overdue a win v Celtic, we've taken 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 and 7-0 pumpings off them since Danny's wonder strike in 2015.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

I'd somehow forgotten about that one which I was at. That breakaway goal to seal it was epic.

Funny how it's often a Saints team not in great form, or very unfancied that grabs the win away against either of The OF. I enjoyed the 3-1 through there when Blair Alston, Denny Johnston and Graham Cummins scored for us.

Long overdue a win v Celtic, we've taken 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 and 7-0 pumpings off them since Danny's wonder strike in 2015.

Loved that game. I remember some Rangers fans having a fit because they thought Simao was doing some kind of 10 in a row dig with his celebration!!

What was forgotten at the time outwith Saints and Killie was that was a crucial win in the push for 3rd place. More key to us than any title race.

It was like the last game of the season before. When we played celtic on the final day, it was entirely about them winning the league if they won and what was completely lost was a win for us would have probably meant Europe. Cannot mind who Killie played that day, but I think going into Parkhead that day (after turning down £200 from a celtic fan for my ticket) my only thought was Europe for us. 

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

Next month would be the perfect time to do it…

Killie had Hibs on the last day but Ally Mitchell scored in the last minute the week before for them to win at Ibrox, which was obviously a killer for us. 

We'd been a point behind going into penultimate weekend, thinking a win over Motherwell would put us in box seat if Killie dropped points against Hibs on final day. We came from behind twice to do that but then Mitchell scored.

Funny for it to be so close between two teams for that Euro spot in consecutive seasons. Of course, Killie were back at Ibrox on final day a year later and again had a one point advantage. The only drew that time round and we obviously beat Dundee. 

As good a finish to the season as that was for us, we did benefit from Killie only picking up 3 points from their final 5 games. One of the great days at McDiarmid that May afternoon. 

41 minutes ago, Radford said:

Killie had Hibs on the last day but Ally Mitchell scored in the last minute the week before for them to win at Ibrox, which was obviously a killer for us. 

We'd been a point behind going into penultimate weekend, thinking a win over Motherwell would put us in box seat if Killie dropped points against Hibs on final day. We came from behind twice to do that but then Mitchell scored.

Funny for it to be so close between two teams for that Euro spot in consecutive seasons. Of course, Killie were back at Ibrox on final day a year later and again had a one point advantage. The only drew that time round and we obviously beat Dundee. 

As good a finish to the season as that was for us, we did benefit from Killie only picking up 3 points from their final 5 games. One of the great days at McDiarmid that May afternoon. 

Ah, I knew it was all very close, but couldn't remember the set up completely.

Ironically, was it not also Killie a few years earlier that played Rangers when we were in a relegation battle and picked up points when Rangers dicked about with their team? Vague memory of Hateley being played in defence or something? I'm 99% sure we were away to Motherwell that day as I remember Kevin McGowan (I think) being absolutely clattered into the front of the fir park main stand.

That second last game of the season down at Rugby Park was epic as well. Been mentioned on here before, but we had a very makeshift team and I think we had to at least draw to keep killie below us.  Kilmarnock had a an experienced team with a bit of quality; Durrant, McCoist, Gary Holt, Jerome Vareille, Paul Wright, Pat Nevin.

Well over a couple of thousand Saints fans travelled to Rugby Park, attendance was over 15,000 which seems incredible for a league match between the two teams.

5 minutes ago, Theyellowbox said:

Ah, I knew it was all very close, but couldn't remember the set up completely.

Ironically, was it not also Killie a few years earlier that played Rangers when we were in a relegation battle and picked up points when Rangers dicked about with their team? Vague memory of Hateley being played in defence or something? I'm 99% sure we were away to Motherwell that day as I remember Kevin McGowan (I think) being absolutely clattered into the front of the fir park main stand.

Yes Hately at centre back. We won at Motherwell but wasn't enough so were relegated.

5 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I was in the Rangers end for that 3-1 game as my son is a bluenose and it was his turn to be the home team. Couldn’t have timed it better. Alstons goal then the exodus and expletives after the third goal were sublime. So hard to keep a glum face 😂

It was the penultimate game in 1994 where Rangers fucked about with their team and Killie beat them. Given all we've achieved, I'd rank playing a weakened team against Celtic in a close title race as high on the things I want to see! 

Remember that final day at Fir Park, John Inglis scoring what was possibly one of only two goals for us (the other in a win at a Tannadice) and the false rumours that kept filtering through about scorelines elsewhere. 

The second last weekend at Rugby Park in 1999 a much happier occasion. Don't think it was our best performance ever from memory and a really scrappy goal but suspect it was a huge psychological blow to Killie given they could have wrapped it up that day and still had to travel to Ibrox.