Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

51 minutes ago, Templar said:

Middleton disappointing once more, Through with the keeper to beat and does not hit the target. An easy pass to set up Kane for a possible hat-trick and he plays it behind him. We do we now have the Hibs Middleton

His chance was from outside the box, the keeper done well to close off a decent angle, he'd just run 30 yards, it was close to his first few touches, he was under heavy pressure from a defender, And it was on his weaker foot. To even create the chance it took him having a great touch and being able to hold off much bigger defenders.

It looked a poor miss at the game but from the angle you get on highlights you can see it was anything but, I was actually surprised how far out the shot was when I saw our shot map.

Why do we always have to be writing a striker off after a game? May got it until he scored v Aberdeen, Kane got it after the Hibs game, Middleton and Vertainen getting it this week, despite one not playing and the other coming on as we decided we'd settle for the scoreline.

Middleton was vital for us in the closing weeks of last season, he made huge contributions in some of our most important games but that's all they were, contributions. Remember that the ones against County and St Mirren both came from the bench. 

I think a game like yesterday needed the two natural strikers, which makes it all the more strange we've just gone and left ourselves with only two in the squad.

His pace will have its part to play but I think he'll be in-and-out of the team all season. It's a squad game though.

Another real positive from yesterday was the performance of McPherson. Lots of energy and gave the side what we maybe missed in the Aberdeen and Hibs games.

Hard not to be optimistic going in to the break. Suddenly have a squad that has options in most areas of the pitch to the point we'll have guys that will be missing out on the squad altogether. Maybe the only place that isn't the case is upfront especially in the 5-3-2. Might be the case that Davidson sees Middleton and Vertainen playing as out and out strikers more often.

Having had four of the sides in the bottom six last year as our first four games I was a bit worried going into the next four. Six points interspersed with getting to the semi final is a really good return. Even against Aberdeen there's a real look about this side that points won't be dropped often even when thinks don't click. Only really the United game this season in the league where the performance levels dropped.

Nobody once again has outplayed us this season in terms of quality and ability (Europe aside). Every Scottish team we’ve faced is beatable if we play well. The United game is the only one where we’ve not been fully “at it” and credit to them for taking advantage. The reality is, we should have beaten County and Motherwell, as well as taken points off Rangers and Hibs. Do that and we’re sitting on 6 points more and only 3 points off the top of the table. Once again it’s the inability to put the ball in the back of the net that’s hindering us, so hopefully that’s the monkey off the back slightly and we’ll start hitting the target more and get the results we merit. 

Tommy Wright is coming under sustained criticism for the first time at Killie after yesterday. Yes, we are second in the league, but the general opinion is that the football is eye bleeding and that we have just squeaked some of our wins. He has easily the biggest budget and this is his team, but we appear to have no plan and he rarely seems to change games with his decisions. What the Saints view, given his outstanding record with yourselves? Should we be patient?

12 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Tommy Wright is coming under sustained criticism for the first time at Killie after yesterday. Yes, we are second in the league, but the general opinion is that the football is eye bleeding and that we have just squeaked some of our wins. He has easily the biggest budget and this is his team, but we appear to have no plan and he rarely seems to change games with his decisions. What the Saints view, given his outstanding record with yourselves? Should we be patient?

I think he just squeaked a lot of wins for us.  But 3 points is 3 points....

19 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

Hes just signed a whole new team, and is managing at that level for the first time, his CV means you give him time as its incredibly likely he'll get you promoted, and that should be all that matters this season. 

Don't think we're particularly bothered one way or the other mate. Tommy was a legend, but he's gone and we've got a better manager now. Couldn't really give a toss what he or Killie do 
Aw the best though.

I was just interested in your opinions as football fans.

31 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

He had a lot of credit in the bank with Saints fans and certainly gave us plenty of great memories. 

Being expected to win a league though is something that's new to him and it's probably worth being patient. He's certainly not a clueless buffoon. 

He's a fat, lodge loving b*****d though.

29 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

I usually thought we were well-drilled and looked good when we went into games as an underdog, but there were too many home games in particular against bottom six teams where we had no plan to break them down and would get hit on the counter for a suckerpunch time and time again.

It did get better as time went on and towards the end we did play some nice stuff at times, but no surprise he's not capable of consistently setting teams up to dominate and win - it's not a situation he faced for the vast majority of his managerial career

43 minutes ago, Rugbypark said:

He’ll get you up and keep you up, but yes overall the qualities he brought to us were well organised, solid defensively and usually very competitive.

Other than the cup winning season, and a few months in the first half of the season (2018 ish) where Drey Wright, Matt Kennedy and Tony Watt were playing great, the football was generally effective rather than entertaining.

We won a cup and qualified for Europe most seasons, so it was definitely a great period, but I think many Saints fans were ready for a change. As Wright was himself.

Tommy had a lot of credit, even when we had our horrendous start to 2019/20 season he was still seen as the preferred option, however I think a lot of our fans knew the writing was on the wall and he would’ve been gone soon, either by walking or being asked to step down.

I don’t think it helped taking over Killie after a poor run of form and it felt like he wasn’t sure how to get the team to perform.

He’ll get you up, but yes the football can be numb on the eyes at times. Don’t expect anything fancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

This is exactly how I felt about him but it is difficult to argue against his record. I would guess, moaning about his budget will come next 

17 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Couldn't care less tbh.