Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

7 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

It's hardly a panic signing..At the moment we have one fit experienced centre back and a couple of kids so we need a bit of cover there and Ambrose fits the bill...Yes it's a bit Meh but all things considered he's not a bad option.

I'm not saying he's a bad signing or will flop, before you get your panties in a twist, just that he's a signing we wouldn't have considered if we hadn't had injuries, or managed to get enough experienced numbers in during the window.

That feels like the dictionary definition of what I'd call a "panic signing" tbh.

He'll maybe work out and he'll maybe be a disaster, but it's another situation we could've avoided if we'd signed a back up to Gordon at any point in the last 12 months.

Going into this tough run of fixtures with a defence thats just meeting each other, and will likely be held together by a 32yo CB who isn't suited to the central role and hasn't played 90 minutes since the end of February, isn't ideal.

Can't imagine there was many alternatives to Ambrose if they wanted experience of the league, though, so on that side of it the signing is totally understandable.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

He'll maybe work out and he'll maybe be a disaster

I dont think he will be a disaster, he was excellent for us.

Perhaps lost a bit (as evidenced by his fairly "meh" time with Livi) but still a very clever player who seems to keep himself fit.

Not the quickest but he never has been. Great for a cheeky wee mazy run up the park late in the game !!

Normally I’d post a predicted line up but I quite honestly don’t have a clue who is fit and available today. It’ll be very makeshift at the back no matter what and that’s concerning.

Expect Kane and Vertainen up front. Maybe MOH alongside them or even Spoony behind them if he’s up to it? Maybe a 4-4-2 with someone like Craig sitting right on top of the defence wouldn’t hurt.

Who knows.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm not saying he's a bad signing or will flop, before you get your panties in a twist, just that he's a signing we wouldn't have considered if we hadn't had injuries, or managed to get enough experienced numbers in during the window.

That feels like the dictionary definition of what I'd call a "panic signing" tbh.

He'll maybe work out and he'll maybe be a disaster, but it's another situation we could've avoided if we'd signed a back up to Gordon at any point in the last 12 months.

Going into this tough run of fixtures with a defence thats just meeting each other, and will likely be held together by a 32yo CB who isn't suited to the central role and hasn't played 90 minutes since the end of February, isn't ideal.

Can't imagine there was many alternatives to Ambrose if they wanted experience of the league, though, so on that side of it the signing is totally understandable.

Taking issue with your description of Ambrose as " A Panic Buy " is hardly " Getting my knickers in a twist "is it 😅

19 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Normally I’d post a predicted line up but I quite honestly don’t have a clue who is fit and available today. It’ll be very makeshift at the back no matter what and that’s concerning.

Expect Kane and Vertainen up front. Maybe MOH alongside them or even Spoony behind them if he’s up to it? Maybe a 4-4-2 with someone like Craig sitting right on top of the defence wouldn’t hurt.

Who knows.

I've a horrible feeling our line up won't matter, tbh. Everything about today just reeks of us conceding early then getting an absolute hounding. Can already see Vertainen getting his debut at 80 minutes with the home stands half empty and his only contribution being losing the ball and us conceding from the counter.

But I'm intensely negative 😂

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

See how it goes but chucking him in tomorrow while hes nowhere near fit, beside an inexperienced RCB, in a back 3 thats never played together, is bringing me heavy Vihmann/Duffy v Celtic vibes, so yeah, great fun.

He's been training with us all summer so he won't be completely unfit. Just lacking match sharpness which will increase the chance of him doing Efe things. 

Definitely going to be the reason you concede a few goals but he's good fun to watch, in a "if you don't laugh you'll cry" or "gets the heart racing" kind of way. 

Best news this summer

New signing and a contract extension for Davidson.

I didn’t think we’d see investments in the footballing side so quickly.

Although, Davidson will be away before that deals up. Of that I have no doubt.

28 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

He's been training with us all summer so he won't be completely unfit. Just lacking match sharpness which will increase the chance of him doing Efe things. 

Definitely going to be the reason you concede a few goals but he's good fun to watch, in a "if you don't laugh you'll cry" or "gets the heart racing" kind of way. 

I get the impression he'll be steadier than everyone thinks, and just be a solid option to help us out for 6 months/a season before being phased out, much like Conway, tbh.

I've always wondered how we'd look if the central CB was the one stepping up the park rather than the wide CBs, so this might be the time to try it. 

Wee surprise seeing Efe pop up at Saints but you could have done far far worse, yeah he can have a bombscare moment but he's a unit of a defender, you don't get 50 international caps being a mug

If nothing else its upped your goal celebration game 

Edited by ConcernedReferee

Encouraging today. Muller and Brown were solid enough and muller certainly doesn't lack confidence. Think I prefer Devine to Booth tbh. And good to see Brown inside Rooney too.

A week till the next game hopefully gets a few more back particularly in the middle of the park. Hopefully we're beginning to see a bit of the MoH of old too.

1 minute ago, nelsjfc said:

Hopefully we're beginning to see a bit of the MoH of old too.

I wouldn't get your hopes up on that, tbh. I doubt most sides we'll have a 30 yard gap between GK and CBs, while leaving their CBs 1v1 with him in a foot race.

Finally some end product from him though.

Watching E2 for a few minutes after he came on and sense he has a bit about him.  At first glance, he doesn't look like a player who'll be throwing himself in challenging for headers, and he was a wee bit shy going into a tackle, but he was trying to lean/ shove rangers players out the way at throw ins to get a teammate on the ball, and was looking for the ball constantly.  Certainly didn't look overawed or out of his depth.

The overhead kick would have been some introduction if it had come off.

I feel he might be ideal to play just off or around Kane, picking up knock downs and letting Kane take the hits.  

Have complete faith in Davidson to get our defence shaped and tough to break down, regardless of the personnel in there.  The challenge for us again will be breaking down and scoring against teams in the bottom half of the table.  A player with something different and prepared to have a go at goal is exactly what we've been looking for.