Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

I associate the bombscare moments with his time at Celtic more than anything else. It kind of makes sense, I think. He has also played as a DM in the past so will be able to provide back-up for emergency situations… like tomorrow, for example. It’s somewhat comforting to have a more experienced head in our backline as well.

I don't think this is the worst move tbh.
Nor do I. Always thought he looked alright at Livi and Hibs against us in the main. Fits in with Davidson talking about Dendoncker needing time to get to know the game in Scotland too. 5 out and out centre halves for three places is decent cover and saves Rooney playing there which weakens us in two positions.

Only worries are that it might mean a) that Gordon is out longer term and/or b, it's been done at the expense of other areas of the pitch.

Not a fan of him despite our current troubles in defence. Felt like we started to get progressively worse at the back from the point of him signing. 

I should add that he was occasionally good but far too inconsistent based on what I would expect for a player of his calibre and experience. 

Edited by EdinburghLivi

50 minutes ago, Radford said:

Get the pizzas out. @RandomGuy.

EFE.thumb.png.0864d366e7642170b99537dd9195b68f.png

One worry would be, is he an organiser? Know hes vastly experienced but hes never struck me as a CB whos telling team mates where to be. With Gordon out the backline will be quiet. Hopefully I'm wrong and Ambrose is like that, or McCart steps up to the plate, but we look a bit dodgy when theres nobody taking control.

All in though, Ambrose scoring the winner tomorrow and us getting an iconic photo of him mid-backflip with a Rangers fan seething in the background is a certainty surely?

3 hours ago, The Real Saints said:

He’s a loveable rogue. I’d take him. Seems to have been fairly solid and reliable at Hibs and Livingston. Can play on the right of a back three and poses a threat at set pieces. Wouldn’t be overly excited about it though. I’d prefer us to focus our attentions on a quality striker rather than spunking our cash on free agent defenders or midfielders.

He absolutely was not solid with us. Martindale prefers Sean Kelly to him as a CB. He's absolutely done at this level, Martindale has also commented on how his recovery between games was utterly shocking. He's lucky if he lasts 60 minutes once every 2 weeks. He's a bomb scare on the ball and doesn't have anywhere near the pace he used to in order to make up for those 'Efe' moments. 

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

EFE.thumb.png.0864d366e7642170b99537dd9195b68f.png

One worry would be, is he an organiser? Know hes vastly experienced but hes never struck me as a CB whos telling team mates where to be. With Gordon out the backline will be quiet. Hopefully I'm wrong and Ambrose is like that, or McCart steps up to the plate, but we look a bit dodgy when theres nobody taking control.

All in though, Ambrose scoring the winner tomorrow and us getting an iconic photo of him mid-backflip with a Rangers fan seething in the background is a certainty surely?

I wouldn't imagine he's an organiser given his English isn't that great. He's very risky on the ball and can't make up for the mistakes he'll absolutely make. The only redeeming thing with him is his ability to bring the ball down and try do a spin to get away from someone pressuring him. Downside is there's a 50/50 chance someone nicks the ball off of him. I really hope for your sake he's nothing more than a backup option as he has severe fitness issues and his recovery times are getting worse the older he gets. Again, it says a lot that Martindale prefers Sean Kelly at CB over Efe

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I really hope for your sake he's nothing more than a backup option as he has severe fitness issues and his recovery times are getting worse the older he gets.

I think its a kind of panic signing as its starting to look like Gordon might be out long term, so we'd have to try and muddle through until January either having McCart as our only senior CB, or having Rooney playing CB regularly.

I'd have preferred us going to a back four, with Muller beside McCart until Gordon came back, but the manager seems wedded to the back three so we had to sign another CB if it is the case Gordon will miss a lot of games.

Ambrose has plenty of experience in the league so I guess it was decided he was the least risky option of the free agent CBs still floating about, which I guess is fair enough. See how it goes but chucking him in tomorrow while hes nowhere near fit, beside an inexperienced RCB, in a back 3 thats never played together, is bringing me heavy Vihmann/Duffy v Celtic vibes, so yeah, great fun.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think its a kind of panic signing as its starting to look like Gordon might be out long term, so we'd have to try and muddle through until January either having McCart as our only senior CB, or having Rooney playing CB regularly.

I'd have preferred us going to a back four, with Muller beside McCart until Gordon came back, but the manager seems wedded to the back three so we had to sign another CB if it is the case Gordon will miss a lot of games.

Ambrose has plenty of experience in the league so I guess it was decided he was the least risky option of the free agent CBs still floating about, which I guess is fair enough. See how it goes but chucking him in tomorrow while hes nowhere near fit, beside an inexperienced RCB, in a back 3 thats never played together, is bringing me heavy Vihmann/Duffy v Celtic vibes, so yeah, great fun.

It's hardly a panic signing..At the moment we have one fit experienced centre back and a couple of kids so we need a bit of cover there and Ambrose fits the bill...Yes it's a bit Meh but all things considered he's not a bad option.

For me, Ambrose excels on the right of a back three so I think he's a good signing. Interesting to read the more critical opinions of him here, though, so maybe I've judged wrongly. 

There’s no way Efe is the central of the 3 and the organiser. He might fit into Kerr’s old role quite nicely on occasion. The issue is still who takes Gordon’s place in the middle. 

I’d be very surprised (and worried) if Efe starts as the central one of a back three. Hopefully Dendonker turns out to be awesome in that role but obviously don’t know anything about him.