Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

22 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yeah I'd imagine he'll stroll into a Championship side, probably more likely to go to League One than us too.

Hard to find any, decent, British striker who's a free agent tbh. If you look abroad it seems to just be a roll of the dice. We struck the jackpot with Melamed a bit last year, but I don't think it's realistic to expect that to happen every season.

Await with interest what names start popping up.

Okay I'm really, dangerously bored. Pretending our new HoR is just a dude with a laptop, I present to you some of our free agent striking options. 

Kazaiah Sterling

Released from Tottenham in the summer after years in their youth team and a bunch of loan spells. Most recent one of the latter was at Morton from February to April last season: 9 games, zero goals, only one full 90 minutes and then loan ended prematurely by Gus Macpherson. Sign him up.

But, in his defense he was quite highly rated by Spurs fans and scored 19 in 39 PL2 apps, also made a champions league appearance at the age of 19 in 2017. One blog in 2019 rated his "high pressing and high intensity" - that sounds like a Davidson striker - along with more promisingly his pace, quick feet, ability to beat defenders on the dribble. Also has a handful of senior goals from loan spells at league one and two English clubs - but the clubs he was sent to seem to have declined in quality as the years went on. Talented player who has lost his way? Only 22.

Excitement rating: 3/10 lets be real he was shit for Morton

Plausibility rating: 6/10 feels like one who might rock up at a national league club who pay more than us but equally he can't be that expensive, surely

Nicky Ajose

A familiar name to fans who remember Tommy Wright's striker "option" scrambles that invariably ended with talents like Rory Fallon, Chris Iwelumo or Ian Beale's pal that made Denny Johnstone look like a shrewd pick-up. Released by league two Exeter in the summer after an injury hit two years there (17 apps 2 goals) but has a record of actually scoring goals at a decent rate when given time and games at jobber outfits in league one and two in England. Hit 24 in 38 for Swindon five years ago and has an overall career record of 101 goals in 338 games. Seems to be a fairly straightforward goal poacher with a bit of pace. Still only 29.

Excitement rating: 6/10 bit dull but would probably add at least a handful of goals, which looks beyond all our strikers minus Kane right now.

Plausibility rating: 5/10 reckon we could probably afford him if we and he really wanted but might be a case of him wanting to be one of our highest paid while we offer backup wages

Jerome Sinclair

24 and released by Watford in the summer. Once a very highly rated youngster at Liverpool drawing comparisons to Michael Owen and Raheem Sterling, became Liverpool's youngest ever player when he was brought off the bench in the league cup at the age of 16.

After moving to Watford for 4 mill in development fees spent the years since jobbing away in various loan spells in places like Venlo, Sofia and Sunderland without much success. Another talent who lost their way but bit of an Adam Morgan vibe to the whole thing. One thing in his favour is a loan spell at Oxford in league one in 2019 where he was given game time, screwed the nut and scored a few goals. A new start at a level similar to that could suit him? This is interesting.

Excitement rating: 7/10 must be something there, bit of raw talent to go with the graft of Kane could work

Plausibility rating: 3/10 will have other £££ options but could be swayed by our vibe as a club

Anthony Stokes

Nope.

Excitement: 3/10

Plausibility: 8/10

Kieran Agard

Another from the "previously eyed by Tommy Wright in his search for an option forward" list. Not as much as a journeyman type forward compared to the others on this list having spent the last five years at one club - MK Dons - scoring 50 goals in the process. Decent scoring record (106 in 378 games over his career), only 31 and being linked with clubs like Shrewsbury Town who aren't more attractive than us whatever nonsense £££ they offer. Decent variety of strikes in his vid. 

Excitement: 7/10 Depends what kind of state he's in at 31 but worth remembering we signed Macca when he was 30. This guy has a better pedigree

Plausibility: 5.5/10 Other clubs might offer more but do they offer a better all round package than us? Has spent virtually his whole career scoring goals in the English lower leagues, why not come up here and win some trophies and beat the old firm. Accept money rules all tho

Isma Goncalves

No club since Indian super league club Chennaiyin FC released him. Probably the most attractive (realistic) option on this list and he does seem to enjoy playing in Scotland ... with our new visa rules is it even possible tho? 

Excitement: 8/10

Plausibility: 5/10 genuinely f**k knows, imagine if it is CD and SB would pursue it.

Conor WickhamAndy CarrollHal Robson Kanu and Daniel Sturridge

All would be amazing, all would be impossible unless they discover a long-lost love for our club that sees them turn down the much much higher packets they'd get elsewhere.

Demba Ba and Papiss Demba Cisse

f**k it, lets become Alan Pardew's Newcastle.

Excitement: 9/10 

Plausibility: 1/10

1 hour ago, nelsjfc said:

Brechin in a close door game tonight.

Floodlights on the now. Sorely tempted to walk the dog past, to try and glimpse Vertainen, but my life is tragic enough without adding that sort of thing to my resume.

Tickets available to buy from tomorrow for the Dundee cup game,  and from Friday for the Aberdeen league game, no online purchase facility available need to visit or call ticket office having been able to order tickets online for the match away to part time lower league Arbroath, it's a return to the old fashioned way for these matches away to clubs who are clearly both stuck in the past.

I completely forgot we played Preston in preseason until I listened to the podcast earlier and it got me thinking about if any discussions had been started on enquiries made back then.

5 hours ago, PSJ.84 said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ross-tierney/leistungsdaten/spieler/623740

See that this guy is linked with a move to Scotland in January, any chance he ends up at ourselves? Highly thought of in Ireland

You'd imagine St Mirren have him down as a McGrath replacement, and probably have done for a while. Ireland seems to get poached a lot these days.

I half wonder if Lewis MacLeod is who we'll target as a free agent if MacPherson is out long term? 

Obviously always want us to be as strong as possible but I'd rather we give Ballantyne/Gilmour a go than sign another midfielder. 

You never know how players will do until you play them. Ali McCann could easily have been lost in the sliding doors if not for a mix of fortune and faith. 

If we hadn't been smashed off the park in the first half at Celtic Park, Tommy Wright probably doesn't throw him on and the manager could easily have subbed him at half-time in his first start against Livingston. 

Just 90 minutes later, after his second half performance at Easter Road, he was never going to be out of the side again.