Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

2 hours ago, tree house tam said:

That's why Zander will be off as well, not sure if that's a bad thing though.

I know Zander has his ups and downs, but between he and Alan Mannus, it's been years since we've had to deal with someone like Graeme Smith, Enckelman, Kevin Cuthbert, Michael McGovern (it was only one game but it was spectacularly sh*te) where you fear something ridiculous happening every time the ball comes near the box.

Replacing a solid, dependable keeper is never easy

Clark is pretty much the same as Enckelman no?

Both could pull off wonder saves, both could be fairly steady, but both were capable of making a complete c**t of something simple too.

I know Zander has his ups and downs, but between he and Alan Mannus, it's been years since we've had to deal with someone like Graeme Smith, Enckelman, Kevin Cuthbert, Michael McGovern (it was only one game but it was spectacularly sh*te) where you fear something ridiculous happening every time the ball comes near the box.
Replacing a solid, dependable keeper is never easy

Remember Mark Paston?

I can understand why Saints fans are a bit raw about the McCann transfer, 1.25 million doesn't seem a like a lot of money when you see the deals down south, but in terms of an outgoing Scottish football transfer that's a relatively high figure. I know it's futile to compare transfer figures across eras but that's the same amount Everton paid for James McFadden. Anything north of a million is a fairly big deal in our league. Right now it's money in the bank and based on your season last year, I think you'll still be alright. 

Feel the following from  https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/st-johnstone-fc/rekordabgaenge/verein/2578 isn't very accurate, as there must be more players we've received a transfer fee for?  

Michael O'Halloran to Rangers is at least one who is missing from the list.  Didn't we also get money from Aberdeen for John Inglis and from Killie for Paul Wright?  There must be more...

A few of the figures look a bit suspect as well.  £810k for Danny Griffin and £720k for McCoist sound a bit high?

IMG_8008.thumb.JPG.1c79aae30dca6b6721a6c911ae053de8.JPG

7 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Honestly not that unlikely that there's just the sell-on % tbh. There certainly won't be add-ons for certainties like more caps for some diddy outfit like NI, or a handful of first team appearances. I'd say unless Preston massively overperform (i.e. get promoted) or he ends up there for years and makes 150 appearances you're very unlikely to make any further serious money unless they sell him on for a fortune. Hoping that there's enough to take it above 2 million before sell on is dreaming imo. 

Also, while of course you're restrained by who actually bids for someone, Preston is a really dodgy club to be looking for big money sell-ons from. Have almost zero record of selling midfielders, or anyone besides strikers, for decent money in the last 10 years and are as likely to go back down as they are to go up. V strange choice from McCann if he has pushed for it, he could just as easily turn into the next Liam Kelly as the next McLean or McGinn if he gets stuck there.

Yep I agree could badly back fire on him as Preston could easily go down this season.Should have waited for a better move for him and the club IMO

I was talking about him today to a young lad at work, saying that I told every and any c**t to bet against New Zealand when they got to the world cup because he was in goal. The useless c**t ended up in the team of the tournament. 

I seem to remember watching him play against St Mirren, Cuthbert had been dropped and after the 90 minutes my pal went how the f**k did we manage to buy a boy who’s even worse than our current keeper?

14 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

Yep I agree could badly back fire on him as Preston could easily go down this season.Should have waited for a better move for him and the club IMO

Again, over 2M in wages over the term of his contract is why he went. Nothing to do with which club it was, he couldn't care less with that sort of cash.

8 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Again, over 2M in wages over the term of his contract is why he went. Nothing to do with which club it was, he couldn't care less with that sort of cash.

Has this 10k a week been confirmed anywhere or is it just rumours? Because if there's no bidding war and Preston can likely double his salary at 5k why on earth would they pay him that much?

11 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Has this 10k a week been confirmed anywhere or is it just rumours? Because if there's no bidding war and Preston can likely double his salary at 5k why on earth would they pay him that much?

That's probably still under the average Preston wage.

5 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

But maybe they are all nuts and just chucking cash around 

That seems to be English football in a nutshell, tbf.

4 hours ago, ConcernedReferee said:

I can understand why Saints fans are a bit raw about the McCann transfer, 1.25 million doesn't seem a like a lot of money when you see the deals down south, but in terms of an outgoing Scottish football transfer that's a relatively high figure. I know it's futile to compare transfer figures across eras but that's the same amount Everton paid for James McFadden. Anything north of a million is a fairly big deal in our league. Right now it's money in the bank and based on your season last year, I think you'll still be alright. 

Turnbull,Mcginn,Gauld, Robertson and many more went for £3 million plus, Ali is worth at least that