Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hard to know whether to believe the chairman of one of the clubs involved in the deal, or a random journalist trying to get clicks, tbh.

It could easily just be a local journo playing to the crowd.

Honestly not that unlikely that there's just the sell-on % tbh. There certainly won't be add-ons for certainties like more caps for some diddy outfit like NI, or a handful of first team appearances. I'd say unless Preston massively overperform (i.e. get promoted) or he ends up there for years and makes 150 appearances you're very unlikely to make any further serious money unless they sell him on for a fortune. Hoping that there's enough to take it above 2 million before sell on is dreaming imo. 

Also, while of course you're restrained by who actually bids for someone, Preston is a really dodgy club to be looking for big money sell-ons from. Have almost zero record of selling midfielders, or anyone besides strikers, for decent money in the last 10 years and are as likely to go back down as they are to go up. V strange choice from McCann if he has pushed for it, he could just as easily turn into the next Liam Kelly as the next McLean or McGinn if he gets stuck there.

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

This was my pick for ‘embarrassing tinpot tweet of the day’ on the night in question.

FE33691F-F3F9-49DD-93AE-948154D91CE7.jpeg

I don't know what's worse, whoever wrote it or those that liked it.

The thing about all of this is I don't think anybody is really furious over the simple fact that he was sold, that was always going to happen, it's the actual fee, the fact that he did have a contract until 2023 so this was the one deal we could actually stand our ground and negotiate properly with, while also then clearly not having a replacement lined up but still letting him go for less than the market value is just an awful piece of decision making and planning from someone who always loves to talk about how tough he is in business and his experience etc.

20 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It could easily just be a local journo playing to the crowd.

Why wouldn't you?

You see the reaction of Saints fans, and OF fans bizarrely, when the McCann deal is announced initially + you know the clubs can't come out and announce details of the transfer, so why not chance your arm, chuck out a story, and watch the delicious clicks and retweets pour in as Saints fans meltdown over it.

2 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

The thing about all of this is I don't think anybody is really furious over the simple fact that he was sold, that was always going to happen, it's the actual fee, the fact that he did have a contract until 2023 so this was the one deal we could actually stand our ground and negotiate properly with, while also then clearly not having a replacement lined up but still letting him go for less than the market value is just an awful piece of decision making and planning from someone who always loves to talk about how tough he is in business and his experience etc.

I thought that Gilmour was the replacement for McCann?

18 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

I believe this is the last generation of Brown in charge of the club. A shame in a sense - the potential entertainment that could have followed would have been an interesting spectacle.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why wouldn't you?

You see the reaction of Saints fans, and OF fans bizarrely, when the McCann deal is announced initially + you know the clubs can't come out and announce details of the transfer, so why not chance your arm, chuck out a story, and watch the delicious clicks and retweets pour in as Saints fans meltdown over it.

Obviously this isn't an exact science, but is it still generally accepted that if the selling club doesn't want full details announced or the dreaded "undisclosed fee" then it's because they aren't really that happy with what they got?

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

That's why Zander will be off as well, not sure if that's a bad thing though.

After all these years of moaning about our players not getting caps, it's good to be in a position to moan about international caps attracting other team's attention. 

Heard from someone today that E2 looks a bit special in training. 

We'll be fine. It's all fine.