Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

1776073759_lineup(4).png.b73783f82e04472584ea702243eda6ff.png

To me that seems our strongest side just now, tbh. Only get one sub per position so Gilmour/Ballantyne miss out as they'll surely get loans, and May more likely to play wide than Hendry.

I think MacPherson is an attack minded CM, rather than a CAM, if that sounds right and isn't too wanky. Not sure we can rely on him to win the ball a lot, but I don't think he'll let us down.

It's not a dreadful squad.

Right now a change of shape makes the most sense. 

How long have we said.......'Big window coming up'?

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

How long have we said.......'Big window coming up'?

I say it every 6 months tbf.

The club will know it is, and they've finally hired someone to specifically prepare us for windows. Too late for him to do anything this month really, but January/next Summer we'll actually have a plan heading into them.

Doesn't guarantee success but at least you give yourself a chance.

13 minutes ago, steviemay17 said:

It's been some time since i felt this, but there's just nothing that excites me in terms of the prospect of actually watching this team this season, just dread

Just picture Wotherspoon, Vertainen and Middleton all in the same side. All technically gifted, all take risks on the ball, Vertainen central while loving to run and at players and shoot from range.

All that behind a revitalised Kane who's learned to stand between the posts when the balls wide.

End of the season we'll be 5th and Kane will have 15 goals, IMO.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

To me that seems our strongest side just now, tbh. Only get one sub per position so Gilmour/Ballantyne miss out as they'll surely get loans, and May more likely to play wide than Hendry.

I think MacPherson is an attack minded CM, rather than a CAM, if that sounds right and isn't too wanky. Not sure we can rely on him to win the ball a lot, but I don't think he'll let us down.

It's actually not a bad squad at all when you see it laid out. I think with that, you could easily switch between a back 4 or a back 5. 5 works for us, so no need to change for now. In a way, Kerr was the easiest to rotate out of them all. I think Gordon is the biggest factor at the back in terms of keeping the whole thing together. If Dendonker is decent, then he just slips in to replace Kerr.

The midfield looks a bit old though. Craig and Davidson will give plenty of protection if a back 4 and more attacking, but worry about their abilities to stay fit or when there is a close run of games.

MacPherson I could tell you nothing about, so clearly not stood out when we have played St Mirren, but sounds like he will add something different.

All in all, not a bad squad to carry into the rest of the season. 

39 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Let's see your view on McPherson after a couple of month. You got a good one there. 

The point is though that St Mirren are gaining more than us and you are direct rivals. It’s not about McPherson as I think he has a lot to give, so if we had signed him proper then no problem.

2 minutes ago, saint pogo said:

The point is though that St Mirren are gaining more than us and you are direct rivals. It’s not about McPherson as I think he has a lot to give, so if we had signed him proper then no problem.

What are we gaining exactly ? He is in his last year of his contract so he could end up a pertinent move if he proves himself.  Personally I'm gutted they let him go. 

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is Ballantyne anywhere near ready for 1st team yet?

I said before the departures/signings that having the players to play a 4 or 3 in defence comfortably is what we needed. It changes the whole dynamics for certain games. We have been very successful with the 3 CB, and we probably still will be at times, but we've been predictable and it's caught us out twice already so far this season. I'm not so sure Kerr going will be a great loss tbh, certainly not when Liam Gordon is back in anyway. Changing to a 4 at the back allows you to have the solidity of two sitting and 3 behind Kane. The 3 behind Kane need to be creative and quick and once Vertainen is in I think we have that. Our starting 11 isn't as bad as you think, sure McCann is a big loss but as a sitting midfielder he would've been wasted anyway. Muzz, Craig,  Gilmour and Bryson can all play that role. Vertainen can play the Kane role if he's out with May or Crawford stepping in in behind. Footballs only as hard as you make it.

Edited by tree house tam

Post on Facebook, not the greatest of sources, claiming McCann is nearer £2.5m if that is the case then I’m considerably less hacked off about the whole situation. Vital we get some players tied down now. 

I’d say it’s just as important to have our January targets identified and ready to go.

26 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

What are we gaining exactly ? He is in his last year of his contract so he could end up a pertinent move if he proves himself.  Personally I'm gutted they let him go. 

That puts a different perspective on it1  I suppose we just give him the game time to put himself in the shop window for Ross county come along and offer him loads more than we do at the end of his contract.  id also presume he has a development fee above his head as well?   

9 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Post on Facebook, not the greatest of sources, claiming McCann is nearer £2.5m if that is the case then I’m considerably less hacked off about the whole situation. Vital we get some players tied down now. 

He posts on here as the fat man I think.

Imo it's a lot of bollocks, it was 1.2M with add ons.

1 hour ago, Theyellowbox said:

It's actually not a bad squad at all when you see it laid out. I think with that, you could easily switch between a back 4 or a back 5. 5 works for us, so no need to change for now. In a way, Kerr was the easiest to rotate out of them all. I think Gordon is the biggest factor at the back in terms of keeping the whole thing together. If Dendonker is decent, then he just slips in to replace Kerr.

The midfield looks a bit old though. Craig and Davidson will give plenty of protection if a back 4 and more attacking, but worry about their abilities to stay fit or when there is a close run of games.

MacPherson I could tell you nothing about, so clearly not stood out when we have played St Mirren, but sounds like he will add something different.

All in all, not a bad squad to carry into the rest of the season. 

If it helps, I'd never noticed the guy you just got over a million for until Saturday, and then it was because I thought he was very unlucky not to get a second yellow.

44 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Is Ballantyne anywhere near ready for 1st team yet?

Don't think Davidson thinks he is, or we would've seen more of him.