Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

So I guess as a brief summary

Steve Brown has set a precedent that he'll bend over and take a third of the asking price

Our four forwards currently average for a goal every 3.8 league games as a collective

We've sold Jason Kerr, and if we put out a defence containing Devine, Muller and Dendoncker then they have a combined total of 8 senior league starts between them

Eetu Vertainen is currently Schrodinger's signing where he may or may not exist, and if he does then he'll need weeks to get up to speed, he's also not a striker

Shaun Rooney is currently having a meltdown on Twitter so we've given him and his agent all the ammunition they need to hold off signing a new contract

We've put ourselves in a position of being in a relegation scrap, therefore ensuring players won't want to sign new deals and SB will play the "well the future is too uncertain to offer new deals" card so McCart and Clark could also end up leaving for nothing

We've managed to erase any and all enthusiasm surrounding the club, also not much to bring those big European crowds back either

Missed anything?

Edit: We also have the added fun that Devine, MacPherson, Muller, Dendoncker and Crawford can all be recalled with 24 hours notice in January too

Edited by steviemay17

33 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Callum Davidson is not innocent in this mess we're in. Far from it.

I didn’t say he was.

But he’s not the one who’s chosen to sell 2 of our best players, with 9 months and 21 months left on their contracts, for a combined fee of “£250k less than Livingston got for Lyndon Dykes” and roughly half what Celtic paid for a player who’d played just over half a season for a bottom six club.

“I’m bulletproof and you need to be. If you’re easily influenced, you’ll never be a good leader.

From that same interview he was accidentally very insightful: “The transfer windows don’t help either. They’re probably the worst thing ever introduced in football. They create panic.”

You don’t say…

Two cup finals. 

Two prized players sold on deadline day as the auld owner’s son cashes in. 

Waiting and waiting on international clearance for the foreign boy that will save the season.

(The hope kills you until he’s just “ok”.)

(Doon).

Spooky parallels with United a few years back. From your point of view, you can say at least you won your finals. 😅

Other than criminally underselling our best players - good to know the club had zero backup plan to replace them other than a couple of loans. The absolute state of our squad is bordering incompetence. 

Keep trying to get some perspective on this but it genuinely is embarrassing. 

In and of themselves, I don’t hate any of the signings we’ve made. And I can’t grudge Kerr or McCann their moves - they’ve more than earned them and being a club that develops young talent and sells them on is where we want to be.

But the combination of losing our two best players in the last two hours of the window, the fee for McCann in particular, only supplementing the squad with loans, the continuing lack of a goal scorer, the delay in getting Vertainen signed and the uncertainty that all of that breeds on the back of failing to win a single game so far this season is not good. At all.

The sell on percentage for McCann needs to be in excess of 30%. He could easily go for £5m plus in 12 months time. The same goes for Kerr really. Their buyers have made very sound investments for tiny sums of money in the scheme of things.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

In and of themselves, I don’t hate any of the signings we’ve made. And I can’t grudge Kerr or McCann their moves - they’ve more than earned them and being a club that develops young talent and sells them on is where we want to be.

But the combination of losing our two best players in the last two hours of the window, the fee for McCann in particular, only supplementing the squad with loans, the continuing lack of a goal scorer, the delay in getting Vertainen signed and the uncertainty that all of that breeds on the back of failing to win a single game so far this season is not good. At all.

The sell on percentage for McCann needs to be in excess of 30%. He could easily go for £5m plus in 12 months time. The same goes for Kerr really. Their buyers have made very sound investments for tiny sums of money in the scheme of things.

If held off posting my thoughts last night, but you’ve summed it up. The incentives in the McCann deal better be ridiculously good for that pitiful amount to have been accepted. You’re right, no saints fan will want anything but the best for the pair of them and I’ve no doubt they’ll have excellent careers. However, what a way to suck all the feel good out of a club within 5 days! I guess at least this time the club acted and got season tickets out early before consigning this season to one of turgid football and misery. Unless this team can pull a rabbit out the hat, it’s most certainly a return to the bottom 6 and low and behold all those new season ticket holders have gone again. 

The sheer amount of loans we’ve brought in is frightening too; however these 2 were at the top end scale of our wage budget and having both gone, there has to be something left come January. I refuse to believe the loans take it up. So saints now have a single huge mid-season window to sort this mess out and it impacts the next few seasons as well. Right now I’m not happy, I’m worried we’re heading for a relegation battle and even if we do survive there are some massive improvements needed by the club at all levels!

23 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He can't play that deep.

That shape was a complete dumpster fire against United, file me under unconvinced about its future if Tam Courts had it sussed.

The fact we can spend 6 months aware our defenders are sought after, then reach the stage where we lose on on the final day of the window and can only react by changing shape says a lot about what the clubs being doing since January. 

Winning trophies?

I’m not even going to waste my time going into the sales of Kerr and McCann. They need no words. My real genuine fear is the state of the squad for next season. Really can’t see any of Zander, McCart or Rooney re signing, maybe one if we are lucky. There’s such a massive overhaul needed it’s genuinely scary. I guess as years gone past without winning trophies it makes it easier to keep the nucleus of the squad together, winning only brings our players to the forefront of the shop window. But the next few months culminating in the Jan transfer window are absolutely massive in ensuring the club doesn’t go into a massive regression. Beyond pissed off.

6 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I didn’t say he was.

But he’s not the one who’s chosen to sell 2 of our best players, with 9 months and 21 months left on their contracts, for a combined fee of “£250k less than Livingston got for Lyndon Dykes” and roughly half what Celtic paid for a player who’d played just over half a season for a bottom six club.

He's been here for over 12 months, and as far as I know been in charge of getting players to the club in that time. He sold himself as someone with a lot of contacts down South.

Losing Kerr and McCann in this window shouldve been a blow, not a full blown disaster. It's the type of situation anyone in Scottish football could've predicted would happen about 8 months ago. Who did Davidson identify to bring in to resolve that? Charlie Gilmour, a boy with recurring back injuries who'd been a free agent for 5 months before we signed him and who's played 100 minutes in 7 months? James Brown? As bog standard a right back as you'll find, who doesn't fit the system the manager uses? As that's the only permanent signings we've made since last Summers window shut.

There's no coincidence we're suddenly pouring loanees into the squad since he became manager. Half them are from Millwall.

I used to slate TWs transfer policy but at least he tried to plan for the future. Davidson has had 3 windows now, and there's not a single signing made in any of them where it looks like he's clearly planned in advance. We're paying the price for that now but by christ the biggest moment is still to come if they don't go all in to resolve it over the next two windows. 

Decision to sell McCann for peanuts isn't his fault, not having the squad prepared for his departure is.

Edited by RandomGuy.