Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

15 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Surely if we’re letting him away Eetu is away to be announced.

Eetu's not a traditional forward in that sense. By all accounts, he's probably more likely to take up one of the wide attacking roles or a position behind the striker. With reports that we're potentially after two forward players including Eetu, I'd say that Callum's departure would (hopefully) be freeing up space for a proper striker.

Also worth noting we can sign all the creative midfielders we want, but when they get a chance to break forward they'll be greeted with Spoony asking for the ball to feet, MOH taking up a creative position between two players that takes himself out of the game, Chris Kane peeling off to the right but neither actually dropping short or looking to get in behind and May will probably be deeper than them too.

If we don't sign a striker with movement and goalscoring instincts none of it makes any difference 

2 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Eetu's not a traditional forward in that sense. By all accounts, he's probably more likely to take up one of the wide attacking roles or a position behind the striker. With reports that we're potentially after two forward players including Eetu, I'd say that Callum's departure would (hopefully) be freeing up space for a proper striker.

And who said being as Saints fan isn't exciting on deadline day! 😜

Strangely not really seen us linked with anyone. The names usually trickle out! 

20 minutes ago, Widge said:

I'd rather have Stevie May than Eamon Brophy.....

This.

At least May just gives the ball to other players, my head would explode seeing Brophy shoot every time he's within 30 yards of goal.

54 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

About 4 years have passed since you "last checked", alongside a recurring knee injury, an operation, and a couple of jobber seasons.

You have made it clear that you do not want him at the club and stated your reasons for it...But I think we should wait until he actually starts playing for us before making a judgement.

3 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

We're going to lose half our team on January PCAs aren't we?

Our signing policy is completely held hostage by Steve Brown and his fear of the future and refusal to forward think.

I think we are yeah. 

Potentially...

Clark, Gordon, Kerr, Mccart, & Rooney. 

With needing to also replace Muzz, Bryson & Liam in midfield due to age and McCann as well due to him moving on. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

About 4 years have passed since you "last checked", alongside a recurring knee injury, an operation, and a couple of jobber seasons.

Wow, that’s me put in my place. Must be shite now then. Better phone Callum and tell him to cancel the deal. 

1 minute ago, The Saintee said:

We're going to lose half our team on January PCAs aren't we?

Our signing policy is completely held hostage by Steve Brown and his fear of the future and refusal to forward think.

Probably. Although I'd take them all being away on frees next summer if it meant they delivered another trophy this season.

Maybe someone like Crawford can be an example to some of them that the grass isn't greener down south.

Next summer, we will still have reasonable value with McCann if he doesnt go today or january.

Another way to look at is, would we all be happy to get players of the same quality as Kerr, Rooney, McCann and McCart if they had all left in this window? Because if they dont leave, that's essentially where we are minus the obvious financial income. 

I think we are yeah. 
Potentially...
Clark, Gordon, Kerr, Mccart, & Rooney. 
With needing to also replace Muzz, Bryson & Liam in midfield due to age and McCann as well due to him moving on. 

Meh, we’re long overdue a relegation scrap.

3 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

At least deals are on the table for a number of players. Usually wait until New Year to start offering new deals

Saints have been trying to extend deals for the last 6 months! A lot of saints fans repeatedly want to blame Steve Brown for this situation, but the harsh reality is, it doesn't matter what saints offer certain players they'll always leave to go elsewhere for more money on the whim of an agent. It's up to saints to cash in when we can, or risk losing them for nothing and the potential sell on fee associated. 

This is never going to change and lets be honest, the likes of Kerr, Clark and McCann all got very good extended deals at the right time. Saints can't change their model and the way they offer deals and contracts to players for the simple fact, it wouldn't make the blindest bit of difference!

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Both shouldve punted in this window.

Instead we gave May a 2yr deal.

Yeah, but May's new deal was for less thank the reported £3k. If say it is £1k per week less, then over the 2 years of the deal, we are only paying an extra £1k per week than we would have been for him staying on his previous contract but getting an extra year out of him, if that makes sense? Another way to look at it, he had a year left at £3k p.w, and then out of contract. Now he has 2 years on £2k. He could have sat out the contract he already has and then signed a £1k per week (fairly low) contract for a year and the overall cost would have been the same.

While he is not the player he was, I think he is worth what we pay him TBH. I think if he gets a couple of goals, he will be flying. It's getting the goals in the first place he cant seem to do.

I'd rather him than Hendry on current effort and performances. 

Edited by Theyellowbox

1 minute ago, mizfit said:

Kerr to Wigan for £500k.

Yep, just had a look on their forum a few minutes ago - anything to delay doing a boring report at work! One of the posters on there was saying towards the end of last week that "his mate Stan, a Director at Saints" had told him Kerr was definitely leaving this summer, most likely to Wigan or Sunderland, as Saints couldn't match the wages he was being offered down south.