Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Does it make you feel good? Abusing people and calling people names because they don’t agree with you? Middle aged man too

Makes me feel warm inside when I see dick releasing on the internet.

I think you're a moaning twat, most of your posts back me up on that imo.

You want me to say it while holding a scarf above my head?

Middle aged? You sweet talking devil you, keep that content up it's better than the moaning and playing stupid.

7 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Makes me feel warm inside when I see dick releasing on the internet.

I think you're a moaning twat, most of your posts back me up on that imo.

Middle aged? You sweet talking devil you, keep that content up it's better than the moaning and playing stupid.

Absolutely sad act, skulking around this forum acting like some hard man. 

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If you’re that old, can you multi-task?

48 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Does it make you feel good? Abusing people and calling people names because they don’t agree with you? Middle aged man too

25 minutes ago, Dick Van Dyke said:

Absolutely sad act, skulking around this forum acting like some hard man. 

Sounds about right.

Where does he fit into the side alongside Wotherspoon? He can't defend, and never has been able to. He can't play wide by the looks of it, and he's certainly not a striker.
He's literally a CAM and that's it. So we're probably only getting the best from him by either changing shape, or sacrificing Wotherspoon.
I was all for another creative player coming in, but it needed to make sense. This is just like we've remembered he exists and he was decent in this league 5 years ago, so give it a fucking go for 5 months and hope for the best. I haven't been able to check free kicks but, at best, he averages just under 2 league assists from open play a season in the last 5 seasons. He's not even scored more than 2 league goals a season since leaving Hamilton 4 years ago, and it might be longer if you remove set play situations.
If he's reliant on dead balls, what's he going to offer us from open play if he's also a liability defensively?
I won't even start on the fact it's yet another loanee, yet another 30yo, yet another injury prone player, and yet another player who's best was at least 3 years ago.
If the rest of today follows suit than that's us effectively stood still for 3 transfer windows in a row. It's not acceptable to still be taking short term punts on ageing players considering the club had so long to prepare for this window.
Heads gone, now dreading today.

1. He’s clearly coming in as an addition to the squad, not someone guaranteed to start every week. We’ve seen so far this season the danger of both relying on Wotherspoon as our only creative spark and of having such a small squad. I could see him playing as a second striker behind Kane in a 5-3-2 against bigger teams, wide right in a 5-2-3 with someone quicker on the other side, or in the 3 in 5-3-2 if DW isn’t available/in form.
2. The fact he’s good at set pieces is a positive surely? Our corners in particular have been mostly kack so far this season, Middleton is the only one who can strike a free kick. Plus, maybe he can actually score a penalty.
3. The standing still etc is 100% right and I agree but it is what it is and we are where we are really. Since it hasn’t happened yet I’m afraid we aren’t going to be signing Murray Davidsons/Dave Mackays who will play for us for years - it’s deadline day. Instead we’ve got someone who adds depth to the squad, a different option to the creative players we’ve got and reduces the creative pressure on David Wotherspoon and a Finnish dude none of us have ever seen play. Grieve will relieve the tensions on the long term stuff if given time, it’s good Calum clearly knows he isn’t going to be able to sort that stuff on his own.

Slightly underwhelmed with Crawford to be fair. Good player at Accies, but seems to have barely kicked a bill in past couple of years. Thought he was much younger than 30 too.

If we do move Hendry on, then it maybe leaves us light up front, with 3/4 strikers. May, Eetu, Kane and arguably MOH.

Feel we are light in CD's too as shown by putting Rooney there.

All points to some loan deals later today or even post window (think you can still sign loans).

Given the age of the midfield, I'm not sure we can put Balentine outnin loan. Davidson, Craig, Bryson and Crawford all wrong side of 30 and game time needs managed. McCann could still be away too. 

8 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

2. The fact he’s good at set pieces is a positive surely? Our corners in particular have been mostly kack so far this season, Middleton is the only one who can strike a free kick. Plus, maybe he can actually score a penalty.

My point on that was he doesn't seem to create, or pose a goal threat, from open play. Our issue, especially at home, is we don't create chances when teams sit in.

Hopefully he can exploit a central area of the park but I don't see how that fits into any shape we play either, without us losing one of Wotherspoon or Middleton, which obvious affects our creativity negatively.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I suspect we'll fail to wedge him into the side for a month or so before he becomes outright back up who appears when we're already losing.

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My point on that was he doesn't seem to create, or pose a goal threat, from open play. Our issue, especially at home, is we don't create chances when teams sit in.

Hopefully he can exploit a central area of the park but I don't see how that fits into any shape we play either, without us losing one of Wotherspoon or Middleton, which obvious affects our creativity negatively.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I suspect we'll fail to wedge him into the side for a month or so before he becomes outright back up who appears when we're already losing.

What about if a defender goes....

Then we play 4213 ?

Craig /Bryson/Muzz/Gilmour sitting,  Crawford behind Spoony/Eetu/Middleton. 

11 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Fwiw I remembered a pretty negative response to Middleton’s initial signing and had a look back - it’s on page 1486 if anyone else fancies it. Basically just myself (obvs) and RandomGuy who saw it as a positive signing

Radford and Widge particularly scathing, wtf do they know?

Glad to see I was willing to give the boy a chance before writing him off.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Depending on who goes I think the squad is looking okay, almost 2 players for every position. I'd like a goalscorer in though.

Is looking decent, other than the goalscoring aspect but I do have slight worries as to where we’ll be next year. The loans will obviously go back as well as probably losing McCann, Kerr, McCart and potentially Rooney, Zander + others which will leave us very short. 

However, a week is a long time in football, never mind 12 months!

14 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Fwiw I remembered a pretty negative response to Middleton’s initial signing and had a look back - it’s on page 1486 if anyone else fancies it. Basically just myself (obvs) and RandomGuy who saw it as a positive signing

I see I'm there up voting the negative posts. Oopsm

I still resent the facts he's a gers player. No doubting he's much better than I anticipated. 

F*ck me, wouldn’t be deadline day without Saints fans going into meltdown.

Looking on the bright side, the day is still young and as it stands we haven’t lost any of our top players.

Oh and last time I checked Ali Crawford was a cracking wee player who pulled the midfield strings for Hamilton. How can this be a bad signing?