Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely think that was 6 years ago.

Very long time ago, just making sure my memory still works!

Managed to find it on YouTube - not much of a screamer…

Edited by PSJ.84

Maybe I’m a happy clapper but my first reaction to hearing this was mild to moderate pleasure at an attacking player I’d heard of and remembered being decent in this league + and actually scoring goals. Only when I came on here that I had second thoughts about whether this is a decent one for us or not… but then having third thoughts (bare with me), is 30 really that old and if we look at him as a Conway replacement, surely it’s a slight upgrade?

I know we want signings made with the long term in mind but it’s now deadline day and that’s not where we are. When Grieve is up and running properly and we start making money from McCann etc I reckon things should improve in that regard - at the very least, they can’t get worse. So I’ll stick my neck out and say welcome in Ali, you were decent in this league in the not too distant past, scored more goals in a season than our top scorer last season did in the not too distant past and all in a team that created far fewer chances than we do. Much much better than nothing imo.

Is he a better option coming on for the last 20 than Hendry? Of course he is. Is he more creative and better on the ball than half our squad, of course he is. I do have issue with the length of loan but if he can pass the ball better and more often than what happened in  that last European game then he goes straight in the side for me because that was absolutely fucking brutal.

52 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Is he a better option coming on for the last 20 than Hendry? Of course he is. Is he more creative and better on the ball than half our squad, of course he is. I do have issue with the length of loan but if he can pass the ball better and more often than what happened in  that last European game then he goes straight in the side for me because that was absolutely fucking brutal.

Where does he fit into the side alongside Wotherspoon? He can't defend, and never has been able to. He can't play wide by the looks of it, and he's certainly not a striker.

He's literally a CAM and that's it. So we're probably only getting the best from him by either changing shape, or sacrificing Wotherspoon.

I was all for another creative player coming in, but it needed to make sense. This is just like we've remembered he exists and he was decent in this league 5 years ago, so give it a fucking go for 5 months and hope for the best. I haven't been able to check free kicks but, at best, he averages just under 2 league assists from open play a season in the last 5 seasons. He's not even scored more than 2 league goals a season since leaving Hamilton 4 years ago, and it might be longer if you remove set play situations.

If he's reliant on dead balls, what's he going to offer us from open play if he's also a liability defensively?

I won't even start on the fact it's yet another loanee, yet another 30yo, yet another injury prone player, and yet another player who's best was at least 3 years ago.

If the rest of today follows suit than that's us effectively stood still for 3 transfer windows in a row. It's not acceptable to still be taking short term punts on ageing players considering the club had so long to prepare for this window.

Heads gone, now dreading today.

Relax, I’m sure this is just a case of. Covering midfield. Especially if we’re concerned over Bryson and Gilmours short term fitness.

*I reserve the right to burn my season ticket at 11:59 if we do not sign anyone else.

After Spoonys last 2 performances I don't think Ali has much in the way of competition tbh.

Maybe Callum wants to change shape, I certainly do. Ali in behind Kane and Eetu could be a joy to behold.

Edit: even more so if we lose a defender late in the window and need to change shape.

Edited by tree house tam

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Few Rangers social media sites think they’ve made a last minute attempt to sign McCann.

They said the same about Doig yesterday - thing is, St J are not skint and unless you got (lots of) cash up front why would you sell to a team in the same division? And Rangers are unlikely to give you lots of cash up front.

<awaits the end of the window when Doig and Mccart sign for the Orcs>

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Relax, I’m sure this is just a case of. Covering midfield. Especially if we’re concerned over Bryson and Gilmours short term fitness.

He can't play that deep.

17 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

After Spoonys last 2 performances I don't think Ali has much in the way of competition tbh.

Maybe Callum wants to change shape, I certainly do. Ali in behind Kane and Eetu could be a joy to behold.

Edit: even more so if we lose a defender late in the window and need to change shape.

That shape was a complete dumpster fire against United, file me under unconvinced about its future if Tam Courts had it sussed.

The fact we can spend 6 months aware our defenders are sought after, then reach the stage where we lose on on the final day of the window and can only react by changing shape says a lot about what the clubs being doing since January. 

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Few Rangers social media sites think they’ve made a last minute attempt to sign McCann.

Celtic fans too.

Also Wigan fans saying they're close to signing Kerr.

Is it weird if I view Wigan as a decent move for Kerr?
Just out of administration and building towards a championship return and settling.

He could do a lot worse in England.

28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He can't play that deep.

That shape was a complete dumpster fire against United, file me under unconvinced about its future if Tam Courts had it sussed.

The fact we can spend 6 months aware our defenders are sought after, then reach the stage where we lose on on the final day of the window and can only react by changing shape says a lot about what the clubs being doing since January. 

Our success last season was finding a system that suited the players then tweaking it for different games. That's twice this season we've been found out, Thalhammer did a job on Callum in the second game and the laptop from fife did the same the other week. The downside is that we may not have the budget to have a squad capable of truly changing styles for different opposition, which is a bit shit tbh.

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Our success last season was finding a system that suited the players then tweaking it for different games. That's twice this season we've been found out, Thalhammer did a job on Callum in the second game and the laptop from fife did the same the other week. The downside is that we may not have the budget to have a squad capable of truly changing styles for different opposition, which is a bit shit tbh.

No issue with us struggling tactically sometimes. Davidson is still a rookie manager and if he learns from these things then that's fine and it's part of the risk/reward situation of hiring a rookie manager.

I just can't get my head around our transfer policy under him at all, everything is so short term.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Where does he fit into the side alongside Wotherspoon? He can't defend, and never has been able to. He can't play wide by the looks of it, and he's certainly not a striker.

He's literally a CAM and that's it. So we're probably only getting the best from him by either changing shape, or sacrificing Wotherspoon.

I was all for another creative player coming in, but it needed to make sense. This is just like we've remembered he exists and he was decent in this league 5 years ago, so give it a fucking go for 5 months and hope for the best. I haven't been able to check free kicks but, at best, he averages just under 2 league assists from open play a season in the last 5 seasons. He's not even scored more than 2 league goals a season since leaving Hamilton 4 years ago, and it might be longer if you remove set play situations.

If he's reliant on dead balls, what's he going to offer us from open play if he's also a liability defensively?

I won't even start on the fact it's yet another loanee, yet another 30yo, yet another injury prone player, and yet another player who's best was at least 3 years ago.

If the rest of today follows suit than that's us effectively stood still for 3 transfer windows in a row. It's not acceptable to still be taking short term punts on ageing players considering the club had so long to prepare for this window.

Heads gone, now dreading today.

Thank feck we have a manager to sort this 

save you sleepless nights trying to work it out