Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

We probably need to replace McCart with a left footer, otherwise you close of sections of the pitch. Don't think Muller would be a great replacement.

The idea of us playing with Booth as LCB for any sustained period of time is terrifying.

I wonder if the transfer speculation has been getting to Jamie McCart. He hasn’t quite been at his own high standards recently. He hasn’t been bad but not quite the level he has previously shown. 

Booth has played left centre back for us previously I'm sure, and done fine.  It might even suit him better as I think his lack of pace out wide has been increasingly evident this season.

Would think he could do a reasonable job until we identified a longer term replacement, even if it was January.

9 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If the English clubs interest in Mccart is genuine. That's where he'll end up next week. 

They're hardly going to be bothered about that 300k price. 

If Hibs want him pay the extra up front and the deal is sorted. Seems bizzare that they just won't do it.

Because he wouldnt be a starter in the 4 at the back system we play, doesnt have the distribution that Hanlon does.

No idea why they were pursuing it tbh, a lot of money (up here) for a backup defender - but its dead now.

3 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Because he wouldnt be a starter in the 4 at the back system we play, doesnt have the distribution that Hanlon does.

No idea why they were pursuing it tbh, a lot of money (up here) for a backup defender - but its dead now.

If they were willing to pay money for him I'm imagining your manager thinks differently from you.

Booth as a CB gives me the same fear as Rooney as a CB, it's just not their game. Did you see Booth trying to head the ball in the box over in Austria? Oaft, caught out several times. Rooney's strengths are running with the ball and arriving late in the box, not defending. We need a comfortable on the ball left and right footer either side of the best player at St Johnstone. That's the basis of a strong defence, c***s like Ross and Goodwin try and fit square pegs in round holes, clueless fucking idiots, glad Callum understands football is only hard if you make it that way.

8 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

If they were willing to pay money for him I'm imagining your manager thinks differently from you.

I think they have been all over the place due to the Doig stuff - clubs suggesting they would pay XYZ etc and hence we might be able to change system etc etc. When Hibs called them on it and (thankfully) it looks like he is staying, we are back to square 1 - i.e. with the existing system of 4 at the back.

I genuinely think this all stemmed from that, and thats also why they wont up any offer - and also, why would McC come to be a backup in a 4 system?

Irrelevant now I think, and I agree with you that he will prob go down south - which is almost certainly better for his career anyway 👍

@tree house tam Re Jack Ross trying to fit square pegs in round holes defensively,  Hibs shipped fewest goals outside the top 2, and 30% fewer than your team last season........................hth

Edited by Leith Green

9 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I think they have been all over the place due to the Doig stuff - clubs suggesting they would pay XYZ etc and hence we might be able to change system etc etc. When Hibs called them on it and (thankfully) it looks like he is staying, we are back to square 1 - i.e. with the existing system of 4 at the back.

I genuinely think this all stemmed from that, and thats also why they wont up any offer - and also, why would McC come to be a backup in a 4 system?

Irrelevant now I think, and I agree with you that he will prob go down south - which is almost certainly better for his career anyway 👍

@tree house tam Re Jack Ross trying to fit square pegs in round holes defensively,  Hibs shipped fewest goals outside the top 2, and 30% fewer than your team last season........................hth

They shipped one in there biggest game of the season.

55 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The idea of us playing with Booth as LCB for any sustained period of time is terrifying.

Spot on. The wilful acceptance of such a reduction in quality of the team is alarming.

No one should find it acceptable that if we sold McCart, we would/could play Booth (or indeed Muller for the reasons you highlighted) there.

Sea lion behaviour if ever I saw it.

Continuing with Rooney in central defence would be criminal. 

To then start playing Booth on the other side really would be asking for trouble. Playing central defence requires a certain set of skills. Tam got it spot on pointing to Booth's defensive performance in the away tie last week. Painful.

We'd really need to replace him with someone comfortable with using his left side otherwise it'll just result in him coming inside with possession all the time and paying into trouble. 

Such a difficult task for clubs like Saints to find a replacement for Mccart though. Being a lefty just makes it even more difficult, hence why I suspect we'll end up with another loan deal. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

43 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

And yet in your most important games you failed miserably, shipping 4 goals to 0. Finishing 3rd is less prestigious and has less monetary value than what the side that papped you out those games achieved. They're still achieving it this season with the European prize money, minter.

I find Muller a really interesting player for us. In a back four he's never going to be commanding enough to play as a CB and he wouldn't be dynamic enough to be a conventional full-back either, but as a sort of in-betweener as the RCB where he can trot forward and have extra cover he could have a good season

And yet in your most important games you failed miserably, shipping 4 goals to 0. Finishing 3rd is less prestigious and has less monetary value than what the side that papped you out those games achieved. They're still achieving it this season with the European prize money, minter.

So you’re counting the semi-final that we lost but not the one that we won?

Makes sense m7.

1 minute ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

So you’re counting the semi-final that we lost but not the one that we won?

Makes sense m7.

Wasn’t the semi final you won superseded by the final you lost in importance? Therefore the two lost are the most important 

Marciano being a better keeper than Clark last season probably had as much say in Hibs conceding less than us than the quality of the CBs.