Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

What makes it better re Kane for me is he had some serious critics. Me included and sometimes some of it from fans was justified as he could produce better than what he did at times.

He didn't quit though didn't just move away or down the leagues. Battled away and kept working hard.

ith proper backing from the manager as well as potentially maturity as a person & better understanding of his own game together has brought the confident side of him out.

He should be proud of himself. 

Can I just say it was an absolute joy watching Murray Davidson last night. It was like watching prime 2011/12 Davidson.

Sliding in for fun, wrestling for the ball and just being a c**t in midfield.

If Middleton can fire in low crosses like last night's on a regular basis I can see Kane becoming a relative goal machine.

edit: Yes, I am well aware how much heavy lifting the word "relative" is doing in that sentence.

Edited by csteinle

2 hours ago, csteinle said:

If Middleton can fire in low crosses like last night's on a regular basis I can see Kane becoming a relative goal machine.

edit: Yes, I am well aware how much heavy lifting the word "relative" is doing in that sentence.

Probably worth noting an improvement of Kane's movement as well. 

The Kane of old (IMO) wouldn't of made that run or even be in that area of the box. I've often thought he used to end up standing at the edge of the box or beyond the back post etc.

Last night. On the shoulder in-between the posts. Exactly where he needs to be to get those double figure goals a season etc. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

24 minutes ago, mizfit said:

James Scott signing for Hibs on loan.

Imagined if the suggestion we were interested was true we would have no longer been perusing him after getting Eetu and Middleton again. 

Although saying that even if we were interested I would still have expected him/Hull to pick Hibs for him to go on loan to.

Don't expect us to sign many now unless theres outgoings. Mccann replacement etc. Hopefully Bryson & Gilmour can stay fit for more than 5 mins otherwise we'll potentially need another central midfielder even if Mccann stays past this window as well. 

Edited by Mr Positive, sometimes.

53 minutes ago, Mr Positive, sometimes. said:

Imagined if the suggestion we were interested was true we would have no longer been perusing him after getting Eetu and Middleton again. 

Although saying that even if we were interested I would still have expected him/Hull to pick Hibs for him to go on loan to.

Don't expect us to sign many now unless theres outgoings. Mccann replacement etc. Hopefully Bryson & Gilmour can stay fit for more than 5 mins otherwise we'll potentially need another central midfielder even if Mccann stays past this window as well. 

If, and it’s a big if, we win on Thursday - I reckon we probably need 3 more squad players in. Definitely another centre half, a centre mid and probably another winger.

Am I alone in thinking an out and out striker would be nice? Especially if Eetu is more of a Wotherspoon/Middleton option. Ideally we’d jettison Hendry for someone who can play the system and score goals as an option, if Kane is injured for any extended period I think we look quite weak up top.

10 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Am I alone in thinking an out and out striker would be nice? Especially if Eetu is more of a Wotherspoon/Middleton option. Ideally we’d jettison Hendry for someone who can play the system and score goals as an option, if Kane is injured for any extended period I think we look quite weak up top.

No. I think Kane is doing a power of work as a forward, especially against stronger opposition. But we need a goalscorer desperately.

FWIW, since I'm fucking about with this all just now anyway, this is how I categorise our strikers (plus Vertainen).

STS.png.c6d66ee2091e8bbf5672a27af3b223da.png

System reckons Vertainen will add something different while also adding quality. Kane is unique so we probably need him, while May can fill enough roles to be useful but won't be the main man. Hendry and MOH will never be able to lead the line for us. All kinda feels right. 

I think a result on Thursday could help us in terms of getting a natural goalscorer. Feels like its too late in the window to get a fairly proven one free/on loan, but if making the groups opens up a transfer fee to be spent then that likely opens up a lot more options.

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

FWIW, since I'm fucking about with this all just now anyway, this is how I categorise our strikers (plus Vertainen).

STS.png.c6d66ee2091e8bbf5672a27af3b223da.png

System reckons Vertainen will add something different while also adding quality. Kane is unique so we probably need him, while May can fill enough roles to be useful but won't be the main man. Hendry and MOH will never be able to lead the line for us. All kinda feels right. 

I think a result on Thursday could help us in terms of getting a natural goalscorer. Feels like its too late in the window to get a fairly proven one free/on loan, but if making the groups opens up a transfer fee to be spent then that likely opens up a lot more options.

What's the number?

Just now, Valentino Bolognese said:

What's the number?

An overall "striker" score.

May is higher than Kane as Kanes strengths are on the "defensive" side of things (duels, winning the ball etc.) rather than in possession play and stuff in the final third. May is worse defensively, but not by much, while being a lot better in terms of creating chances, so with the scoring weighted towards finding the best attacker it prefers May. Not perfect but understandable IMO.

Why I've tried to create an overall profile now aswell. May comes out as the better "forward", but Kane a better fit for what we probably want from a lone striker.

Is Eetu the type who will start games up front for us? As in, in the middle of a 5-2-3 with Wotherspoon/Middleton for example on the wings. I was under impression he is someone who will come in and compete with MOH/Wotherspoon/Middleton, and potentially play as a second striker off Kane.

2 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Is Eetu the type who will start games up front for us? As in, in the middle of a 5-2-3 with Wotherspoon/Middleton for example on the wings. I was under impression he is someone who will come in and compete with MOH/Wotherspoon/Middleton, and potentially play as a second striker off Kane.

For Ilves he generally seemed to play off a striker. In the 5-2-3 shape we play he never seems to have been the central player for them, but thats based off WyScout line ups which can be funky. Think hes more of a central player than a winger like MOH, if that makes sense? Potentially a case of he'll be competing with Wotherspoon, while MOH and Middleton compete for the spot on the right when we play 2 wide men, and then Vertainen will be first choice beside Kane if we go with 2 more central strikers.

Thats just guesswork though.