Double Winning St Johnstone FC Thread

18 minutes ago, perthsaints99 said:

Obviously a headline mentioning Saints doesn't get enough hits! The headline is:-

IT'S A DEAL Transfer news LIVE: Rangers and Celtic latest plus updates from Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and rest of SPFL

PATIENCE OF A SAINT

By Robert Thomson, in Klagenfurt

Eetu Vertainen will sit out his SIXTH game since agreeing to move to St Johnstone when they play LASK tomorrow. 

Boss Callum Davidson and his players travelled to Austria this morning but are still without their new Finnish striker. 

The McDiarmid Park boss said last week in the wake of their Europa League clash with Galatasaray he hoped the 22-year-old’s move from Ilves would be completed so he could spearhead their push to make the Conference League. 

But after more Brexit-related issues surrounding his work permit, Vertainen - whose move was negotiated more than three weeks ago - has still not had clearance to finalise his switch. 

Saints are one of several SPFL clubs to hit problems following the UK’s departure from the EU. 

Davidson, who also had to leave key man David Wotherspoon in Scotland due to being a Covid close contact, said: “It has been a longer process than we’d hoped with Eetu. 

“The regulations have obviously changed and it’s quite difficult. 

“I’m hoping to have him ready for Sunday, which will be a big boost for us, but nothing is set in stone with this process. 

“There are delays and things get put back. So you don’t have a set timeline. 

“It’s frustrating but it’s part and parcel of football, it’s just what you’ve got to do now. 

IMG_1240.JPG.9d816e2b5333199d768b062beb6c6c96.JPG

Eetu Vertainen has yet to officially sign for St Johnstone

“Eetu is in good spirits, he’s a very likeable lad and is very keen to get started - that’s his motivation. 

“He’s very focused on getting going when we get things sorted out. 

“All he’s been able to do so far is go out on runs to keep himself fit because he can’t train with us. 

“He’s always got a smile on his face when I’ve seen him so that’s a good start.” 

Wotherspoon missed the second leg against Galatasaray last week after being pinged and won’t be released from isolation in time this week. 

Glenn Middleton being available has softened that blow, but Davidson admits he’ll have to check on his men - who played 120 minutes against Arbroath on Sunday - to see who is fully fit. 

He said: “David Wotherspoon hasn’t travelled because of the Covid situation so that’s disappointing for us and for him. 

“We have two or three knocks, so we will have to assess it because we need people who are one hundred percent fit. 

“So that’s something I will have to take a look at before naming the team.

“With the heavy schedule we’ve had and are going to have, it’s a difficult one because you have to look at the risks.

“Ideally we wouldn’t have wanted extra time on Sunday. 

“We have altered training a bit but we don’t have the biggest squad, so it’s about watching the load on the players who have had a lot of minutes. 

“A few players were playing catch-up, Stevie May and Chris Kane were two, so we have got games into them. 

“And Glenn Middleton has come in, looking very fit as well.” 

Without being funny, but doesn't this happen almost yearly now?

I'm fairly certain there were stories he'd resigned, folk came on saying it was a foreshadowing of doom, then nothing ever came of it, last Summer too.

I'm fairly certain there were stories he'd resigned, folk came on saying it was a foreshadowing of doom, then nothing ever came of it, last Summer too.

Some people seem to just want to see us in trouble I find.
Steve Brown might be one of the most pessimistic chairmen in Scotland, but he’d be blunt and truthful if any issues were to come to light.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

No.

Play sensible and we’ve nothing to fear from that lot. They’re a lot more beatable than Galatasaray. Fatigue is my biggest worry. Bit more sharpness from Middleton and we’ve come out of that game with a lead. Such a daft penalty tho. McCart needs a rest already